sell me

Reaction score
Hello,
I've been getting by pretty dang good for the last two years on a Samsung i760 through Verizon. Using wmwifirouter installed on my i760 it turns the i760 into a wireless router enabling everyone within range to share my connection. This has been a perfect solution to my needs.

My contract recently renewed with Verizon and I started to get the Samsung Omnia 2, but "everybody" I know pushed me into getting the Motorola Droid instead. I have 30 days to decide to keep the Droid, but sadly so far I am not impressed because I have various needs that are not being met. At this point I'm ready to return it to Verizon and get an Omnia 2 or other Windows based smartphone, but I want to give the Droid a chance to win me over. My specific needs are as follows:
  1. I need the ability to turn the Droid into a wireless router.
  2. I need the ability to use completely hands free dialing from my bluetooth headset. Due to the nature of the work I do my phone is most often about 10 feet away from me in a secured case. I need the ability to dial with nothing more required than touching the button on my bluetooth.
  3. I need the abilty to call a person from the text message they sent me instead of having to go back through various menus to dail them.
There are other features i want, but the above list are things that I need. In addition, while I like the interface, I'm failing to see what all the buzz is about on this phone. The gaming and other applications are relatively useless to me as I just need proper function. If you can sell me on it I would like to keep it; otherwise its going back.

Thanks!

TigerDirect

Reaction score
The Market is your friend. Have you tried searching there?

Unfortunately, I have yet to see applications that will meet your first two needs. However, Handcent SMS offers the ability to call straight from text messages. Look for it in the Market. It's free.

Also, keep in mind that the Droid isn't a perfect fit for everyone. If you can't get it to do what you need it to, don't feel pressured into keeping it.

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
Also, keep in mind that software updates are relatively frequent. The day after you tak your phone back, we may receive an update that allows just the functionality that you're looking for (specifically, we're expecting hands-free bluetooth calling to be added eventually).

CDB

Reaction score
1. Look into PDANet or the new TetherBerry.

2. Bluetooth - answering a call: yes, making a call: no.

3. Long-press the message and it brings up a menu to call the person.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep, #2 is a big problem for you. Right now Droid is about the only phone in the world that doesn't work via blue tooth head set device. Not to say you can't make a call you just need to either bring up a contact another way or download a couple of apps to make it almost hands free.

There are some headsets out there that do allow total hands free communication with the Droid, like the Blue Ant Q1 but you're limited to 8 contacts. Doesn't sound like that can help you.

PridgNYC

Reaction score
1. You can wifi tether if you root the phone. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...d-wifi-tether-wireless-tether-root-users.html or Help with wifi tether - Android Forums
2. I got nothing, but I have no doubt this will be fixed at some point either through an app or in the OS.
3. the built in messaging also allows you to call directly, just click on the picture next to the contact name at the top of the screen. (it'll be an android if you haven't assigned a contact picture) This only works with people who are in your contacts. if you click on the picture of someone not in you contacts, it asks if you want to add them.

TheEnergetic

Reaction score
While your questions have already been addressed (2. SOL 3. Handcent) I am just curious as to why you need your phone to function as a router. While i'll admit it is cool, I'm just trying to imagine a scenario in which that functionality is necessary. Perhaps functioning as a hotspot for family use while on trips? I would have to imagine that any business related use would be better served by local wifi. Just curious

ntrddragn

Reaction score
im not sure why people would ask other people to sell them what they have is good. i think if you research and feel that you dont like it then you should return it. Otherwise you will probably hate it down the road and blame the people who tried to changed your mind.

OP
MontanaBighorn
Reaction score
I am just curious as to why you need your phone to function as a router. While i'll admit it is cool, I'm just trying to imagine a scenario in which that functionality is necessary.
i travel often (at least 6 cross country trips per year) with myself, family, as well as employees. while i could get an air card, its much easier to share the connection on the phone via wifi tethering. in addition, hotel internet is often unreliable, painfully slow, and terribly unsecure.

OP
MontanaBighorn
Reaction score
im not sure why people would ask other people to sell them what they have is good.
because for whatever reason i am unfamiliar with all the features and possibilities the droid offers. this is why we come to places like this; seeking input from those who are more familiar with the particular issue(s) in question. i had never even heard of the droid until 3 or 4 days ago, and failing to see what all the hype is about im hoping people can point out the possibilities the droid offers (and several have, thanks guys!). i thought i qualified that clearly enough in my first post. thanks for making the effort to share your advice.

OP
MontanaBighorn
Reaction score
software updates are relatively frequent. The day after you tak your phone back, we may receive an update that allows just the functionality that you're looking for (specifically, we're expecting hands-free bluetooth calling to be added eventually).
this is truly reassuring. i was told that some big android update is due in two weeks. will this include the motorola droid, and have you any idea if this will include hands free voice dialing? i have a very basic phone nearly 5 years old that is hands free voice dial capable; i was really surprised when i learned that the droid does not have this very basic capability.

OP
MontanaBighorn
Reaction score
Long-press the message and it brings up a menu to call the person.
hello,
i only get options to read thread, delete thread, and ad to contacts. is there a setting somewhere that im missing?
thanks,

TigerDirect

Reaction score
hello,
i only get options to read thread, delete thread, and ad to contacts. is there a setting somewhere that im missing?
thanks,

Long press on the actual text message, not the thread (i.e. Open Messaging, open a thread, long press on a message).

i have not. thank you for the recommendation.

You're very welcome. The Android Market is where you will find the applications that really open up the possibilities of the device.

Last edited:

iPirate

Reaction score
software updates are relatively frequent. The day after you tak your phone back, we may receive an update that allows just the functionality that you're looking for (specifically, we're expecting hands-free bluetooth calling to be added eventually).
this is truly reassuring. i was told that some big android update is due in two weeks. will this include the motorola droid, and have you any idea if this will include hands free voice dialing? i have a very basic phone nearly 5 years old that is hands free voice dial capable; i was really surprised when i learned that the droid does not have this very basic capability.
none of my past phones have had it, guess i am unlucky