sell it or cant i?

roothogger

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum here. I have had my droid since early december and my wife and I love them. My question is this Thursday night while at a basketball game I lost my phone, couldn't find it anywhere, I figured someone picked it up fairly quick. While driving home I temporally disconnected my service with verizon and filed my insurance claim for a new phone 89 doller deduct. They told me they would send me a new droid arriving on Saturday. Friday I was cleaning out my car and found my phone turned off wedged between my seat. I called the insurance company to cancel the new phone but they said it was already shipped out and to just send it back when I get it. So I got this brand new phone today and I was thinking of just selling it instead of sending it back. Can I do that or not? I don't want to do anything I'm not allowed to do but I figured I paid for it already anyway, or can I keep it for a spare in case of another lost, stolen, or broken phone between me and my wife. Or do I have to return it because they are expecting it? Thanks and sorry for the long post--jeff

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Send it back. Karma works in funny ways.

They probably have it on record that you found your other phone so they might be expecting it, but i wouldn't know.

eliassami5

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum here. I have had my droid since early december and my wife and I love them. My question is this Thursday night while at a basketball game I lost my phone, couldn't find it anywhere, I figured someone picked it up fairly quick. While driving home I temporally disconnected my service with verizon and filed my insurance claim for a new phone 89 doller deduct. They told me they would send me a new droid arriving on Saturday. Friday I was cleaning out my car and found my phone turned off wedged between my seat. I called the insurance company to cancel the new phone but they said it was already shipped out and to just send it back when I get it. So I got this brand new phone today and I was thinking of just selling it instead of sending it back. Can I do that or not? I don't want to do anything I'm not allowed to do but I figured I paid for it already anyway, or can I keep it for a spare in case of another lost, stolen, or broken phone between me and my wife. Or do I have to return it because they are expecting it? Thanks and sorry for the long post--jeff

since you called them back they will have noted it and if you did not return it they would probably charge you full price for the phone. Even if you never called them it would still have been insurance fraud but they would never know, its a moral issue rly.

But since you told them i would just return it.

johall07

Reaction score
Send it back. Karma works in funny ways.

They probably have it on record that you found your other phone so they might be expecting it, but i wouldn't know.

yea they probably have the esn's or whatever other numbers and can tell what you did with it

montlyfool

Reaction score
If the original phone was declared lost, they may have de-activated it. Once a phone has been de-activated, it cannot be re-activated since it is declared lost or stolen. This prevents these phones from being used. Unless you found a way around it. Send them back the old phone and keep the new phone. Do not want to get charged for the new phone and $600.00 is not worth it. The new phone would be listed under your contract.

bdbraaten

Reaction score
A friend of mine lost his Dare, filed a claim and found his old one before the new one showed up. He called in and they were able to re-activate his old one no problem, and refunded him the insurance deductible. He just had to send the replacement phone back to them. I'm betting the Droids would work a similar way.

qwiksilver711

Reaction score
Make sure you check the replacement for an sd card, they aren't supposed to ship with one I think, so I don't think that would be insurance fraud... if it is I am in no way endorsing insurance fraud because stealing is wrong.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Only send it back if they can reactivate your old one AND refund you the ninety bucks.

Reaction score
Send it back. Don't commit insurance fraud and jack up my Asurion rates any higher. Spike Lee on 'em - "Do The Right Thing."

Reaction score
Oh yeah...now that you found your phone, whichever one you get back to working condition, I would install Lookout or Where's My Droid or a similar program that will help you track it down next time. Personally, I like Lookout.