SD Card

4shlr

Reaction score
Ok, so I am coming to the Maxx HD from the Thunderbolt which came with the 32GB micro SD card. my question is do I need to pretty much completely wipe the card clean to put it in the Maxx? My Bolt was rooted so all of those files were on there but I also have some pics/music/movies too so I guess I'm wondering if I can keep the media files on it or if I should just wipe everything off and restart from scratch basically. Any insight would be great, thanks

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just put the new card in, it should just work. Always make a backup JUST IN CASE. You never know, but, yes, it should just work.

OP
4shlr

4shlr

Reaction score
Just put the new card in, it should just work. Always make a backup JUST IN CASE. You never know, but, yes, it should just work.

So you're saying that I don't need to completely wipe the card? Even with all the HTC files & rooting files??

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So you're saying that I don't need to completely wipe the card? Even with all the HTC files & rooting files??

Correct, they won't do anything anyways, I would most definitely clean things up if you don't stuff for sure anymore but that's just me cause I'm OCD like that lol but yeah, you can just plug that bad boy in and it'll recognize your media and stuff.

OP
4shlr

4shlr

Reaction score
Correct, they won't do anything anyways, I would most definitely clean things up if you don't stuff for sure anymore but that's just me cause I'm OCD like that lol but yeah, you can just plug that bad boy in and it'll recognize your media and stuff.

OK thanks! I'm going thru the disk now & deleting a lot of stuff I don't need anymore. I had heard somewhere that you did not want to put a card from a rooted phone into a non rooted phone for danger of bricking the new phone, so that was what I was worried about.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK thanks! I'm going thru the disk now & deleting a lot of stuff I don't need anymore. I had heard somewhere that you did not want to put a card from a rooted phone into a non rooted phone for danger of bricking the new phone, so that was what I was worried about.

No that's all lies... the SD card is just storage. Unless you try to flash something not for that phone that's when you can potentially do damage.

OP
4shlr

4shlr

Reaction score
No that's all lies... the SD card is just storage. Unless you try to flash something not for that phone that's when you can potentially do damage.

Those lying b@st@rds!! Haha, j/k....

Thank you though that puts my mind at ease. I still want to clean it up just to make sure I have all the storage possible on it. I know we have 32gb internal with this phone but having another 32gb external can't be bad right? lol

Reaction score
Yes it is not necessary but honestly I would. I would pull all the files I want to keep off of the SD card. Format the card in the MAXX HD. Then put the files back on the card so you are starting fresh with the new phone...but that is just me. :p

OP
4shlr

4shlr

Reaction score
TheDroidURLookinFor said:
Yes it is not necessary but honestly I would. I would pull all the files I want to keep off of the SD card. Format the card in the MAXX HD. Then put the files back on the card so you are starting fresh with the new phone...but that is just me. :p

I believe that's what I'll do, thanks! Just out of curiosity, are you rooted?

OP
4shlr

4shlr

Reaction score
TheDroidURLookinFor said:
Currently no but I have been.

Yeah, I'm trying to decide of I want to root yet or wait for the ota JB update. I can't stand the font on the phone & I really want to change it

Reaction score
4shlr said:
Yeah, I'm trying to decide of I want to root yet or wait for the ota JB update. I can't stand the font on the phone & I really want to change it

Well rumor has it we will get JB by the end of the year. I would wait but it is up to you.

stevew88

Reaction score
I wiped mine completely to have a fresh start when i went to the MAXX HD. Trying to keep things tidy.

OP
4shlr

4shlr

Reaction score
Ok, weird question...do I need to have the MaxxHD off when I put in the SD card? In my other phones the SD card slot was behind the battery so the phone was always off by default.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Guess it doesnt have to be but it's a good idea. On the HD you'll be removing the SIM card to install the SD card.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2