Screen not working... help?

no7fish

Reaction score
I've had my Droid for 2 months, bought it used, and I'm on PagePlus. NOt sure if any of that is relavent but still...

I dropped my phone getting out of the car a few days ago and immediately the screen stopped working. The light for the buttons below it work, the green light blinks to tell me I have messages, and the tactile feedback sometimes works if i touch the screen. Also, the screen appears to be backlit but nothing shows up.

I took the phone apart looking for a loose ribbon cable or similar but to no avail. I have checked all the connections I can find and nothing looks broken or loose.

Can anyone tell me what might be wrong with it? Could the screen itself be damaged? I don't know what's "in" the screen or if there is another connection in there where the cable goes to. I also don't know enough about the phone to theorize on what else might be wrong (ie. what drives the screen, etc).

Any help guys??

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Does the phone still work? If someone calls you does the phone ring? Do you get text/email notifications? If the answer to those questions is yes, you might consider taking the phone to one of the phone repair shops that have sprung up everywhere since the iPhone came out. I've read that they can replace the screen on the droid for 50-85 dollars.

Good luck and let us know how this comes out - curious.

OP
N

no7fish

Reaction score
I am pretty sure it's fixable, as I said it still seems to function. I haven't tried calling it to see if it rings but it does backlight the screen, give tactile feedback, and blinks to let me know there's a message.

I have a hard time justifying $80 or so on a phone that only cost me $150 in the first place, and I could replace it for that.

I was really hoping someone with knowledge could help me how to determine if the screen is dead or if it's a wiring problem. If it's an $80 fix then I'd be better selling it for parts and finding another used one.

Actually, could someone tow this over to the Rescue Squad for me? I should have posted in there....

Last edited:

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well, I doubt you'll find many folks with the kind of knowledge your are looking for. I've been reading these forums since last October and I remember only one person that claimed to have change a screen and I don't think anyone actually believed him. But, good luck with that.:)

Based on your most recent post and the parameters you laid out in it, I'd recommend parting out that phone and get another.

BTW, here's a site that has a tear-down of the droid: phoneWreck Motorola Droid Teardown Images!

Again, good luck with all this!!

NinjaArian

Reaction score
Hahaha, the same thing had happened to me while I was donating blood. I had to sit patiently though 30 min with no phone, I nearly died. :/ I discovered an accidental fix and that was to drop it slightly higher in the opposite direction. Weird, isn't it?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

hohum

Reaction score
Hahaha, the same thing had happened to me while I was donating blood. I had to sit patiently though 30 min with no phone, I nearly died. :/ I discovered an accidental fix and that was to drop it slightly higher in the opposite direction. Weird, isn't it?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

LOL - we actually tried this with my sister's Droid1. Her screen quit working. Battery pulls did not help. Dropped it 3 feet onto hardwood floor. Turned it on and it worked! Weird.