screen dims? battery issue?

learningtousedroid

Reaction score
HI All,
I just got my new droid. very excited. but i noticed that my screen frequently dims and them becomes bright again and would do this repetitively. Has anyone else experienced this or do i just have a defective unit?
2. my virtual keyboard does not seem to be very responsive. i frequently have to tap many times before it registers. has anyone else experience this? is there a setting i can change keypad sensitivity?
3. When i first got my phone, my virtual keyboard comes on automatically when i tap the text field. now it doesn't. it tells me to use my slide out keyboard unless i go and to settings and turn on android keyboard, but then it shows up as a contantly running application. Does this drain my battery and does anyone know what isthe default setting for keyboard from the manufacturer?
4. my battery drains so quickly. i don;t use it that much. don't listen to music or watch video. does occasional text and email.very few phone calls. why does it drain so quickly. what can i do to control what programs are running and stop draining the battery?
thanks and sorry for so many questions.

mrtrumpet

Reaction score
Yes, my screen does it too. I'm trying to figure out whether I should take it back for a new one. I've had the phone about a week and the screen dimming seems to be getting more frequent.

jazzlover

Reaction score
I don't think it is right that you don't get the virtual keyboard when you tap a test field. I think I read in the user guide that you should get the virtual keyboard when you tap any text field.
I haven't had the screen dimming problem.
I have had some incidents then I don't get a response to a tap, even if I see the field itself change color--I don't think that is right either.

biteme

Reaction score
I think it's related to the power saving feature of the update. Mine does it too. Just go into the settings and uncheck automatic, then set the brightness to what you want and it won't dim any more.

will.anaya

Reaction score
HI All,
I just got my new droid. very excited. but i noticed that my screen frequently dims and them becomes bright again and would do this repetitively. Has anyone else experienced this or do i just have a defective unit?
2. my virtual keyboard does not seem to be very responsive. i frequently have to tap many times before it registers. has anyone else experience this? is there a setting i can change keypad sensitivity?
3. When i first got my phone, my virtual keyboard comes on automatically when i tap the text field. now it doesn't. it tells me to use my slide out keyboard unless i go and to settings and turn on android keyboard, but then it shows up as a contantly running application. Does this drain my battery and does anyone know what isthe default setting for keyboard from the manufacturer?
4. my battery drains so quickly. i don;t use it that much. don't listen to music or watch video. does occasional text and email.very few phone calls. why does it drain so quickly. what can i do to control what programs are running and stop draining the battery?
thanks and sorry for so many questions.

1. the dimming of the screen could be the result of you accidently covering the droids proximity sensor. the sensor is sensing an object close by and it registers it you are about to talk on the phone so it starts to dim. however, as you reposition the droid, the sensor is free of any obstructions and lights up again.

a. make sure you dont have your screen protector covering it, this could cause distortions (i believe).
b. clean your screen every so often to ensure sensor is not bothered

2. can't help you there, my virtual keyboard is working fine.

3. the virtual keyboard, just like any app, will only use power if it is actually being used. not using it? not wasting power.

4. there are settings you can turn off to prolong battery life

a. settings>location&security>Use Wireless network (and Use GPS satellites) turn both options off when not in use. you will usually use them when using google maps, any weather app, "Where" app, and quite a bit of others.
b. setting>accounts&sync settings>Background Data. turn off background data when you are not using your email. a dialogue box will actually show up to tell you that by turning this off you will save a lot of battery power.
c. settings>privacy>Use My Location. disable use my location. if an app needs this to be activated, it will prompt you to do so. so in the mean time, like when you sleep, are working, in a conference, etc...keep it off.

i turn these off when i am not using apps that require them and i go through the whole day with a green battery icon. texting, calls, running apps, etc....i run the whole shebang and still save lots of power.