screen died on conference call

dmiller91

Reaction score
Had my first conference call on the Droid today... Screen went into sleep at some point and I couldn't wake it up... the sound was still working. I tried on/off. I tried holding the on/off down, I tried the hard buttons on the bottom.. nothing. I had to take out the battery.

What gives?

When it booted back up, only 30% battery used, so it wasn't a dead battery.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
No, what battery mode: Maximum, Nighttime, or Performance? If it's not on performance that could be your issue.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I recommend you download the Quick Settings app and install the Power Control widget on one of your homescreens.. You'll be able to turn syncing off and ciontrol the brightness of your phone, even turn 3G off if you want to. Good app and widget for lessening power usage but still being able to make changes like syncing on the fly.

OP
D

dmiller91

Reaction score
okay... did that, have both in use, thanks. I'm worried to try again because I need to be able to mute/unmute to speak.. and I can't if the screen dies. I turned the screen to "always on" too... which could be a problem when I want it to sleep.

Can't figure out why it would freeze when the battery still had 70% juice, or so it said!

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's a bug in the coding for the alternate battery modes. As long as you're in performance it should be fine, but always on should take care of it as well.

OP
D

dmiller91

Reaction score
sooo.. it looks like this bug is present even when I don't do a conference call. Yesterday the screen locked and the power button again wouldn't "wake" it, and I had to take out the battery. Are there any software updates for this????

I need to take off nighttime saver for now and switch it to Performance? Then maybe I can let the screen dim after 60 minutes?

ugh!!! frustrating!

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, set it to performance and use Power Control to turn your syncing on and off as needed and Quick Settings if you need to make other adjustments. You should be able to let the phone sleep without issue then. Hope that works.

OP
D

dmiller91

Reaction score
Thanks... changed it now. I'm assuming the synching button is the circular arrows. I'm supposed to know that :)

OP
D

dmiller91

Reaction score
okay, really really dumb question.... If the light is lit on the circular thingy, does that mean data is on or off? The widget doesn't really say, and I seem to get data either way. I'm still struggling with the battery sucking itself down as I watch it.

OP
D

dmiller91

Reaction score
So when the circle is active, that means data exchange is on?