Screen blacks out while on calls

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
I'm sure this issue has been beaten to death, but a search didn't find anything... I hate how the screen goes black while you are on a call, and you can't get it to stay on(even if you want). It will come back on for a second if you take it away from your ear, and then goes off. You can wake it up with the button up top, but again, only for a second. This is extremely frustrating when trying to go from a regular call to a speakerphone call... Is there a fix for this? I don't care if the screen has to be on the whole time I'm on a call, if that'd fix it. I read about this issue in the reviews of the phone on Verizons website a while back.....

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
ive found that if i hold the phone exactly flat...like parallel with the ground, it tends to stay on...i think it mainly reacts to heat, like from your face, to go off so you wont hit buttons...but i hope this helps...

sportadic22

Reaction score
i was testing this tonight... and it seems to stay on for a while when its held flat... but as soon as you put anything.. a finger or face or cheek or whatever..over the long skinny ear hole... the lights go out

OP
STIDRIVER

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
^^^ Exactly..not a huge deal.. but like I said, its very frustrating trying to go to speaker... hope someone chimes in with a permanent fix... ^^ I'll remember the lying flat solution in the meanwhiile..

halfam

Reaction score
It's a sensor lmfao. So when your ear is supposed to go up against the phone, it blacks out.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Screen going Black is Normal.
There are a few apps that will change this....Names elude me at the moment.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Screebl has an option to keep the phone on during calls. Have never tried it because I like it to black out during calls so I don't accidentally hit something with my face or fingers.

Cryostatic

Reaction score
There's a proximity sensor on the phone which will cause the screen to black out when something (like the side of your head) is placed directly in front of it during a phone call. The logic is that if the phone is pressed up against your face, you're obviously not using the screen, so blacking it out saves battery life.

Are you experiencing an excessive delay for the screen turning back on when you want to switch to speaker?

OP
STIDRIVER

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
^^^ yes, not a delay... it wont stay on period.. we'll, I tried putting it down on the table and that seems to work. But that seems like a crappy solution to the issue. I understand the sensor thing, and why its there. It just seems like it doesn't work very well. The screen is very sketchy while on a call... I just think if you take the phone away from your head, the screen should come on and stay on. Its not just to put on speaker.. Think of when your on the phone with a helpdesk or something, where you have to enter 1 for yes for example. This is a nightmare on this phone.

epkmd

Reaction score
screen blackout

Download app Screebl...you can adjust the angle at which the screen will black out.

OP
STIDRIVER

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
Downloaded Screebl, I will update after I can test it out a little bit. But it seems like a cool app and the answer to the issue if it works as advertised. I don't like that its on all the time, I wonder if it might be sucking battery trying to detect what position your phone is in....

Zippster

Reaction score
For me the issue was never it going black, more when it decides not to come back on when taking it away from your face....

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Downloaded Screebl, I will update after I can test it out a little bit. But it seems like a cool app and the answer to the issue if it works as advertised. I don't like that its on all the time, I wonder if it might be sucking battery trying to detect what position your phone is in....

It will actually save your battery. Take a look at the video that came with it. Screebl rocks.

Reaction score
For me the issue was never it going black, more when it decides not to come back on when taking it away from your face....

I've been getting this same problem. Actually of the last 10 or so phone calls i've made, about 6 of them required me to pull the battery out in order for the phone to come back on. Very frustrating, and it only started happening the last day or do.

Anyone have any suggestions other then the app mentioned above? I do like the feature where the phone blacks out during a call, but when it doesn't come back on thats definitely a problem.

I know if i call verizon they are going to tell me to go exchange my handset, but i dont want to trade my new Moto Droid for a "like new one" for this small problem.