Screen Auto Brightness theory

Shibbey

Reaction score
I have a theory I need a few people to help me test. My theory is that leaving the auto-brightness on actually drains the battery faster than manually adjusting the brightness level. Has anyone tested this, or is willing to spend some time helping me test this theory? The more people testing it, hopefully the better overall data we can derive.

xpezdj

Reaction score
I'm sure it does drain it faster, has to read the sensor everytime you unlock your phone and then adjusts..

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
Shibbey

Shibbey

Reaction score
I'm sure it does drain it faster, has to read the sensor everytime you unlock your phone and then adjusts..

Exactly my thoughts. I am just curious about the comparisons.

I guess the situation that REALLY needs to be analyzed is: If someone runs their screen at full brightness and does not think about it, vice the auto dim.

Battery drain on 100% brightness vs. battery drain with auto-dimmer.

raidzero

n00b.
Premium Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Exactly my thoughts. I am just curious about the comparisons.

I guess the situation that REALLY needs to be analyzed is: If someone runs their screen at full brightness and does not think about it, vice the auto dim.

Battery drain on 100% brightness vs. battery drain with auto-dimmer.

I ran on full brightness for months without realizing it (I broke my services.jar, brightness could not be adjusted except in desk clock mode... even when my screen was off it was still on, just black). I fixed it finally and set to auto. I have noticed a great increase in battery life (not that it was anything to worry about before...)

maybe it helps.

Last edited:
OP
Shibbey

Shibbey

Reaction score
I ran on full brightness for months without realizing it (I broke my services.jar, brightness could not be adjusted except in desk clock mode... even when my screen was off it was still on, just black). I fixed it finally and set to auto. I have noticed a great increase in battery life (not that it was anything to worry about before...)

maybe it helps.

So your battery life was actually less AFTER fixing it and putting it on auto?

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hmm... I have my brightness levels hacked lower and I feel like my battery has been a lot better since that also. Interesting concept tho, i wonder...

raidzero

n00b.
Premium Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

maybe it helps.

So your battery life was actually less AFTER fixing it and putting it on auto?
Sorry if I wasn't clear. When I fixed my framework to allow backlight adjustment, I set it to auto in the power control widget and it's been that way since last weekend. Battery life has much improved.

I think for me though the fact that improved it was enabling the screen to actually turn off instead of just go black.

OP
Shibbey

Shibbey

Reaction score
Ahh, OK. Thanks for the clarification. Was going to say, otherwise that definitely would prove my theory! LOL