Screen And backbutton problems

cideas

Reaction score
Submitted this the other day but put it in the wrong section...

So the other day I decided to reset my battery stats, don't ask me why. After that was done my backbutton and screen started to act all funky. First the backbutton when press does nothing. And the screen sometimes you don't even have to press the screen for it to register a press, something like hovering over the screen will do it or if I do try to press anything in most cases it acts like I pressed some other button about 2 grids away lol.

Has anyone experienced this problem, I already did 2 factory resets and installed a fresh rom (2 different ones) and I still have this problem.

Thanks

Droid 1 btw

rmsx3

Reaction score
Having very similar problems here. My home button wont work and some touch keys wont when texting or when trying to text it will start going "crazy" and typing on its own. Also cannot access some apps via touch. Appreciate any help!!!

OP
C

cideas

Reaction score
I'm glad i'm not the only one with this problem, makes your phone pretty much unusable when this happens :/

K

Krazykleo

WOW! So it's not just my crazy phone!My backbutton is the ONLY button that works, and as of yesterday it too was sticking and wouldn't let me past whichever website i was on. Like it was sticking or something? Had to have been the newest update i did a couple of days ago...and i did the big 2.2.1 update earlier this fall. my phone feels like its impossible to use. I hate to admit this- it used to be the joy of my life

K

Krazykleo

Any suggestions? i dont wanna take it into Verizon to come out with a damn re-build...we all kno how that always works out :/

Jmart922

Reaction score
did anyone find out why this occurs? just a few days ago the screen was working no problem, i'm not sure if i freshly reinstalled CM6.1.2, but its doing it and its annoying. The screen starts wigging out for no reason and the back button is not longer functional. i have to press the power button to lock the phone and then sometimes that helps and sometimes it doesn't when the screen comes back on. tried rebooting and reinstalling again, nothing, keeps happening...any ideas?

travisinkansas

Reaction score
Same problem here, just started out of the blue today while the phone was docked on my desk, all of the sudden a slideshow started and I hadn't touched the phone in over an hour. Since then the screen has been erratic and the touchscreen part of the phone is completely unusable when it's acting up. Slapping the phone's screen against my leg somehow fixes the problem very temporarily.

valk_17

Reaction score
mine started doing the same thing last night, back button works sometimes but not others, screen acts like some kid is drawing squiggles on it. takes forever to even reboot the phone because when I press power off the button flashes blue but won't register a touch. Cant be a rom install/update because I haven't done anything to my phone yet (though it was rooted and minorly tweaked when I bought it used). tried uninstalling any apps that I had recently updated, tried cleaning the screen with windex in case some sort of build-up was triggering a response, even tried changing to a different battery in case it had whacked out and was surging or something, no luck with anything. I really need to find a fix for this, because i bought a used phone at a metropcs store and had it flashed for metro's network, so I don't even have the option to return it for a re-furb.

travisinkansas

Reaction score
Took mine in and got it swapped out. The store employees acted like I was a mad man when I told them what it was doing and that I'd seen lots of other people with the same problem.

K

Krazykleo

I hear ya, I had the same issue. Like I was saying I didn't want to get another phone- it was as though I had fabricated the whole"problem". The Techies totally didn't believe me. Regardless, I got a new phone and thankfully not a rebuild. No issues so far.

valk_17

Reaction score
as stated previously, had screen and backbutton problem and tried everything. Finally thought maybe a screen intensive app had gone haywire and deleted everything non-essential. Saw drastic improvement but would still spazz on occasion. Locking/unlocking phone would generally fix this for a while. Since phone was rooted and I had the money to replace it if needed, decided to try a fresh rom. Wiped everything, installed Smoked Glass version 11, and haven't had a spazz yet a week later. The back button still needs to be pressed repeatedly to register sometimes, as well as about 2 mm of the left (bottom in landscape) side of the screen, but I believe this to be the result of a drop. Otherwise, fresh rom seemed to do the trick, plus I didn't have to get the phone re-flashed to metropcs. Just had to rewrite the apn settings.

On a side note, I was told by the metro guy who flashed the phone that metros browser would block app downloads, so I would have to be on wifi to download them, but I could use them with metros 1x internet. I've heard others on various forums confirm this. However, I have always been able to download apps with 1x with no problem. Can anyone confirm or deny? Wondering if the rom has anything to do with it, I upgraded from v.6 and had no prob with it either. Appreciate any feedback.

aps024

Reaction score
Valk, I have had almost identical problems to you. About 3 weeks ago back button stopped working. Then over a matter of 4 days everything went haywire and the only way I could navigate the phone was with the slide out keyboard. I was running BB 6.2.1 and nothing else. I tried flashing 4 or 5 different roms and they all had the same problems. Doing multiple wipes every time. I flashed back to BB 6.2.1 and basically stopped using my phone except to make calls.

Right around the 8th of Feb it started working normally again and I would say completely back to normal by the 12th. On the 16th the back button stopped working again. I flashed to GPA11 yesterday because what the hell...i figured it couldnt get any worse.

NO solution for me yet...I am testing removing Swype because that was the last app i installed when I though I was back to normal. Could it be that the screen is going bad on the Droid? If anyone else has any ideas I would love to hear them.

rpo

Reaction score
static/grounding may be to blame

hey guys,

I've had this same thing happen!! the "crazy screen," phantom touches, unresponsiveness, etc. my temp solution is to turn the screen off, then retry my operation. I've since rooted my phone and installed some performance apps, because i'm a noob and why not tinker on a kind-of-broken phone that's out of warranty. its shown some improvement, but not a lot.

however, I found a forum somewhere where people said this had happened after using a cheap recharger. I've only used either Droid or Blackberry rechargers on my phone and didn't notice any changes after using the bberry charger at my girlfriend's house.

Anecdotally, I've noticed that the craziness gets much worse than when I wear a pair of my shoes that pick up a lot of static charge. The screen is much more buggy and weird than if i'm wearing other shoes. I've also tried grounding the screen by touching the glass to metal or grounded electronics, but to mixed results.

anyone else have similar experiences??

art2357

Reaction score
After linking to laptop

Sounds like the solution is a replacement phone.

I plugged my phone into a corp laptop (with all kinds of encryption) just to charge it during a long biz meeting. The next day the backbutton would turn down the ringer volume and sometimes go back. Other misc. stuff happened too. Once, I couldn't open facebook - it would open and close immediately.

Took to Verizon, they said run factory reset. Did that, no change.

I'm going to Verizon store for replacement at lunchtime.

Ruben181

Reaction score
I had similar problems using chargers for LG and Samsung, I stopped using random chargers and stuck with my Motorola charger and I haven't had any more problems. Just cause it fits in the hole doesn't mean it goes in. Lesson learned :)

Moto Droid
GPA15