Screen acts like it's being touched once turned on

Kalivos

Reaction score
Pretty much I hit the power button, screen lights up, and it goes CRAZY randomly selecting apps, virtual keyboard will open and random keys get hit, random scrolling on windows. It started after I did a factory restore last week. At first it was just like one in a while, but now I can't even use the phone!

Anybody have this happen before or know a fix?

Reaction score
I have this problem too, but only when I plug into the charger (dock or straight into cable, wall or comp). As soon as I unplug it goes to normal. My gf's droid does the same thing. I am running Team Chaos 1.3 Dark Edge she is running FRF57 stock. We have tried switching out chargers and no success. It recently started last week. I haven't updated my ROM since Dark Edge got ported. And haven't updated anything on hers since 57 came out.

sbursik

Reaction score
Mine is doing the EXACT same thing. I have even restored it to stock 2.1 unrooted and the same thing happens. Mine doesn't appear to be charger related though. Install Paint from the market and you'll be surprised to see what its really doing.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's like they are on a time-bomb. Mine did the same thing 2 weeks ago. Last week I sold an old LG Chocolate to a guy whos Droid was doing the same thing. It isn't a software issue, it is hardware. Put it back to stock and take it to Verizon, they should give you a warranty replacement.

Stigy

Reaction score
I have seen this issue with some chargers.

Charger swap fixed it though.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
In the case of my phone (and the guy who bought my Chocolate) there were no chargers involved. It did this in my hand, on the table, plugged in to official chargers, to my computer, to my truck, to the desktop dock, etc.

Reaction score
I just had mine replaced for that last week. If it's like mine, most of the "touching" it's doing is around the "unlock slide" area. I noticed that what it was on mine was that that area had become hyper sensitive and when there was any oil from my fingers left on the screen, it triggered the capacitive sensors "touching". Once I cleaned it, it stopped, until I touched it again. I could touch it through a soft cloth and it was okay but as soon as my fingers touched it and left prints, craziness ensued. I think a lot of people are finding it out now because people sweating from the summer heat is making them more likely to leave residue on the screen. Verizon gave me no problems. They shipped me a "Like new certified remanufactured" one that's working well so far.

AZDroid09

Reaction score
VZW sent a replacement for my son's Droid last week for the same thing, opening apps and typing stuff all on its own like it was possessed. It must be widespread, they didn't even make me jump through hoops, perform factory resets or anything......just sent out a replacement as soon as I mentioned the symptoms. My Droid has been behaving though :)

Reaction score
It's pretty widespread. In all the Droid forums I went to, there are dozens of threads with people having "possessed" phones or "ghosts controlling my phone" or "crazy touchscreen" or the like. Being that it's a manufacturing defect and not a screw up on your part, it's not a "insurance" issue it falls under the warranty. I was kind of hoping they'd get mixed up and send me a Droid X. The refurb you get has no battery, battery door or SD Card (but I did notice the door fit a lot tighter on my new one than the old one).

sbursik

Reaction score
I took my phone to the VZW store last night and she reloaded the phone and it had no affect. Still messed up. She ordered a refurb to be sent to my house because they had none in stock at that store. I was stoked because I had not bought the phone from VZW. It was a Craigslist buy.

sbursik

Reaction score
I noticed that what it was on mine was that that area had become hyper sensitive and when there was any oil from my fingers left on the screen, it triggered the capacitive sensors "touching". Once I cleaned it, it stopped, until I touched it again.

Fascinating! When I made the screen squeaky clean it behaved. As soon as I made a spot on the screen with my finger it starts acting up again. Finger condoms? :) Can't wait for my refurb to get here!

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah I've noticed this happening to lots of people lately. Maybe they're designed to crap out right as the X comes along LOL

station1

Reaction score
Droid Randomly Calling Everyone!

Why the H#!! is my droid freaking calling and texting gibberish to everyone in my list. It has NOTHING to do with the voice Dialer, and seems to be a hardware issue. It's essentially making the phone unuseable. It's kind of acting like it's being randomly punched in the keypad, only the phone is in standby mode when this stuff happens. Do any tech people read these posts? FIX THE PROBLEM!!!