School Email

J-Buck

Reaction score
How do i sync my school email to my Incredible? Is it Exchange ActiveSync or Other (POP3/IMAP)... It's just a standard school email that ends in @gmu.edu

mail.gmu.edu

Last edited:

Bob_Stan

Reaction score
Your school should provide some instructions on how to access the email server, or you could check the settings if you have a computer that accesses email from the same school. Unfortunately the email extension has nothing to do with the type of email server used, which could be exchange, pop3, or imap.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
Thanks, Figured it out!

I've never been able to figure that pop crap out. I would like to get my work email (school based), too, but for now, I have the web-based email bookmarked and it works fine enough. thus far, the economic cost hasn't justified figuring it out.

Wilkz

Reaction score
So I have been trying to figure out how to get my school email set up on my incredible ALL day. i feel like ive tried everything. I go to odu in the fall and their email is through google. So my email is *****@odu.edu, but its a google account. I've gone on the account and enabled imap. I even enabled pop3 with no luck either. I read on odu's site that i had to have a separate password so i went and created that and still no luck. The message I'm getting is, authentication failed please verify your username password

My settings:
IMAP Email: *****@odu.edu
Username: ^^same as above
Password: *******
IMAP server: imap.gmail.com
Security: SSL
Server Port: 993

same settings that i see on every help topic i look at. those are the settings on the odu technical site too. I dont know what to do. I know that i can get it forwarded to my gmail or another email account, but i'd rather keep all three separate.

JoeeDB

Reaction score
Assuming you're using blackboard, all you have to do is add a gmail account through the gmail app on your phone with your username being the email address & the password being the one you use to log in to blackboard with.

Wilkz

Reaction score
it is a google account. at least the school has their email set up through google. and ill try that blackboard way.

Wilkz

Reaction score
that didnt work either. all of it is the same login info.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I read on odu's site that i had to have a separate password so i went and created that and still no luck. The message I'm getting is, authentication failed please verify your username password
This is a dumb question but to verify: are you actually supplying the secondary password? Did you give it time to sync after creating it, per http://occs.odu.edu/accounts/studemail/imap.shtml ?

Assuming you're using blackboard, all you have to do is add a gmail account through the gmail app on your phone
From http://occs.odu.edu/projects/gapps/faq.shtml
C. Using the Google Mobile App
Google Mobile App Client will not work since authentication occurs on ODU's domain, not Google.
*****@odu.edu, it is a google account?
Guess you haven't heard of this:
Google Apps for Higher Education (Universities and Colleges)

Wilkz

Reaction score
^^i used the secondary password. and i tried it hours after i set it, so it should have been synced. i deleted it yesterday and set a new one just now, so ill try again in 30 min or so. if anyone has any other suggestions, let me know.

Wilkz

Reaction score
i tried to see if there was a captcha lock on and thats why i couldnt get it. so i went to this site- https://www.google.com/a/yourdomain.com/UnlockCaptcha and replaced it with odu.edu and when i try to login on there it says my username or password is incorrect ? when i can log onto everything else with the same info but this site wont let me do it. I tried every password i've had and my secondary password and still no luck.

Wilkz

Reaction score
bumpp, anybody knows whats going on ? i might end up just forwarding the email. does anyone know the delay from the mail getting from my odu account to my gmail ? if i forward it.

Wilkz

Reaction score
alright this is my last bump. anyone have anything else they think i should try ?

Craiger22

Reaction score
Are you including the @odu.edu when you enter your user name?

Also, have you tried using it without ssl?