School Email question

Demo24

Reaction score
I changed my email password but it still doesn't work. I am Oakland university

Could it be that the IMAP location is different than [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]imap.gmail.com?[/SIZE][/SIZE]

no, the imap has to be that address. Guess you can go to the helpdesk and see if they can offer any assistance. I had to do that in the end as I hadn't thought about changing my password.

OP
A

ajrober5

Reaction score
I got it to work after some messing around. I went on my schools website and found a link for [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]IMAP/POP Synchronization. I signed in and it automatically synced up. Then I filled out the information as stated earlier in the post and it worked :icon_ banana:
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

alm0614

Reaction score
see if your school has a tutorial on how to set up outlook, and use those exact settings.

billith88

Reaction score
My school also uses google based email. At first I was not able to get it to work, but then I realized that you have to put it as [email protected] I hope this helps. It works on my droid and on my mac with it in this format.
-william

ckim2116

Reaction score
Usually schools have info on their website to set up email on Android and iPhoneOS. But I just went to my school's academic computing office and they set it up for me for free in five minutes.

DanSan

Reaction score
yea my college uses gmail as well..

i used the same settings the dude on the first page posted. if u actually log into your account and then go to settings, and look under IMAP it shows u how to hook it up to an android device

MaxBobcat

Reaction score
What kind of schools use gmail? Seems strange to me. Maybe I've just gone to two large universities (30k and 48k students) but they both had their own email servers.

DanSan

Reaction score
What kind of schools use gmail? Seems strange to me. Maybe I've just gone to two large universities (30k and 48k students) but they both had their own email servers.

a lot of schools are doing it. apparently its a lot cheaper than maintaining their own email servers on campus and frees up money, space, resources, hard drives, servers and bandwidth.

plus ill take the reliability of google over my schools server anyday.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

a lot of schools are doing it. apparently its a lot cheaper than maintaining their own email servers on campus and frees up money, space, resources, hard drives, servers and bandwidth.

I hadn't heard of this either....my school still uses Outlook....

DanSan

Reaction score

yea man, its a new thing i guess. my schools old system wasnt even outlook. i cant even remember what it was but it purely did suck.

CKyle22

Reaction score
My school uses it's own mail servers. I had this problem. I set up a forwarding service on the Uni side and everything was all good.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not sure why anyone would assume that all schools are the same... Some have Exchange. Some have POP. Some have IMAP. Some use Google Apps. Some use Live@edu. Some even use mail servers that I can't recall off the top of my head. There's no universal standard.

You mean Exchange? Outlook is a client that supports a number of different types of mail servers.

Again, there's no standard for all universities and Google is your friend (how I found this):
http://www.google.com/a/help/intl/en/edu/customers.html

I don't see why the size of the institution would be relevant. The list above isn't comprised of only tiny universities.

Plenty of companies use Google Apps as well:
http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/business/customers.html

Demo24

Reaction score
I got it to work after some messing around. I went on my schools website and found a link for [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]IMAP/POP Synchronization. I signed in and it automatically synced up. Then I filled out the information as stated earlier in the post and it worked :icon_ banana:
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Yeah, similar issue to mine. Just had to get all sync'd up once it recognized a password change. :)

We use to use Novell for email, which was horrible. Then they decided to switch over to google for apps and email. Great choice! Can instantly share/edit documents between people, everyone is listed so emailing a person is easy, and best of all its very reliable. We're a small school so I suspect the cost savings helped their budget.

MaxBobcat

Reaction score
Not sure why anyone would assume that all schools are the same... Some have Exchange. Some have POP. Some have IMAP. Some use Google Apps. Some use Live@edu. Some even use mail servers that I can't recall off the top of my head. There's no universal standard.

You mean Exchange? Outlook is a client that supports a number of different types of mail servers.

Again, there's no standard for all universities and Google is your friend (how I found this):
Google Apps in Education: Case studies and customer stories

I don't see why the size of the institution would be relevant. The list above isn't comprised of only tiny universities.

Plenty of companies use Google Apps as well:
Businesses share their stories - Google Apps for business

I guess I just figured that schools would like to have more control over their email, considering that is how so many people communicate nowadays. Like if the gmail servers went down for a few hours (like they did a few months ago) the school wouldn't be able to send their IT guys their to fix it.

Also, on the size of the school's I also thought that since (generally speaking here, bear with me) a lot of the high dollar research grants go to larger universities, the sponsoring organization might want something not 3rd party like gmail providing communication of classified materials.

But this is probably more to do with student's account and I agree gmail is an easy GUI and lots of space, so it works for everybody.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score

The last year I was in college (UVA, 16K) they dropped their awful servers and gave us the option of either GMail or the MS-based thing. According to my friends at UVA Tech Support, it's the best decision they've ever made, both from a service, support, and price standpoint.