Samsung To Introduce New Flexible 4.5inch Display At CES

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
flexscreen.jpg

You might have missed this in the news, but Samsung has a new display that might be of interest to you. Samsung, the leader in Smartphone display technology, just recently brought out their next screen technology. This new technology is a flexible AMOLED display that’s only 2mm thick and 4.5 inches big. This means if you are in the market for a new phone that’s screen is larger than 4.3 inches, Samsung can provide you that soon from what we can tell. This Flexible screen technology seems to be the same thing we have on the Nexus S (curved display), and this is either a more advanced display or the previous technology was simple limited to 4.0 inches.

Here is the press release:
SMD is presenting a prototype of the most advanced flexible AMOLED display. Only 2mm thick, the 4.5 inch flexible AMOLED runs at a WVGA 800 x 480 resolutions and can be rolled down to a one centimeter radius.

At WVGA, this new concept prototype offers a display resolution four times that of the previous most flexible AMOLED prototype in the industry, thanks to the use of a new plastic substrate that can withstand the 450-500 degree temperatures required in the manufacturing process.

SMD is showing the world’s first large transparent AMOLED Display prototype, designed for use in applications from PC monitors to TVs.

Whether the prototype AMOLED display is turned off or on, it maintains up to a 30% transparency. The average amount of transparency elsewhere has been below 10 percent.

SMD’s transparent AMOLED prototype provides the highest resolution on a transparent large screen TV (over 19 inches) or monitor display.

The screen will be one of the many things Samsung will announce on the 5th, so stay tuned for that.

Source (Samsung Mobile Display to showcase 4.5-inch flexible AMOLED, 19-inch transparent AMOLED displays at CES | BGR | Boy Genius Report)

tiggerxplur

Reaction score
im not really sure how these would be useful on a phone or tv unless the whole device was flexable

OP
W

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
im not really sure how these would be useful on a phone or tv unless the whole device was flexable
Well the Nexus S has something similar on it. If the screen wasn't flexible, it wouldn't be able to curve...
So that's how it can be used in phones.

Rhino413

Reaction score
what does having a curved screen on the nexus S actually do for you as
a consumer? Having a convexed screen seems more like a marketing gimmick. old CRT screens where convexed and I hated it. in fact i'm sure most people hated it thats why everyone switched to flat screens. And other than rolling up you cell phone I don't see much use for this tech when its installed in a rigid frame like a phone or TV.

OP
W

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
a consumer? Having a convexed screen seems more like a marketing gimmick. old CRT screens where convexed and I hated it. in fact i'm sure most people hated it thats why everyone switched to flat screens. And other than rolling up you cell phone I don't see much use for this tech when its installed in a rigid frame like a phone or TV.
Well gingerbread does have a CRT screen off effect.
And the covered display is to fit your face better, and something else... Who knows. When I used it, it didn't feel different at all.

Rhino413

Reaction score
I guess one could say that the screen tech would bring a higher level of screen life as the screen would not be so sensitive to damage IE phone is tight pants pocket. but again this would really depend on the whole device being flexible. for this tech to even be useful. and there is no mention of this new tech providing greater impact protection. because even if the screen can bend and roll can it take a direct jab from lets say a pen or small object with out damaging the pixels. and the screen res is low one would thing samsung would push for all screens to be at or above what apple is shipping right now. so for now im not sold on this idea. Does the nexus S have gorilla glass??

Rhino413

Reaction score
And the covered display is to fit your face better, and something else... Who knows. When I used it, it didn't feel different at all.

To fit your face better HMM. i think you are mistaking Curved with concaved. because a concaved screen that didnt blur or distort would be cool as that would fit your face better.

OP
W

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com

To fit your face better HMM. i think you are mistaking Curved with concaved. because a concaved screen that didnt blur or distort would be cool as that would fit your face better.
Yes you are right... Concaved display is what the nexus s has.

Rhino413

Reaction score
OK then that is cool and I think that would provide some ergonomic designs in cells phones to come about. I love my Droid X but it being flat as a table on my face isn't always the most comfortable thing. so having the ability to concave a screen and not loose picture quality is nice as well. Also I thought about this for a sec I have a case for my droid X and when ever you click it on or off of the device it puts a considerable amount of stress on the screen for those few secs you are putting on or off. having a flexible screen even just a little bit would be nice as that would allow some Play in the screen so you don't stress it in situations like this or like i said earlier when you have your 500 dollar smart phone in your jeans and you bend down to get something and the jeans tighten on the phone like a death grip.

diverbelow

Reaction score
Here is a [video=youtube;nbTO5VM6s-4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbTO5VM6s-4"]video[/video] of a hammer hitting either a LCD or AMOLED and this flexible screen.

diverbelow

Reaction score
Here is a video of a hammer hitting either a LCD or AMOLED and this flexible screen.

Did not know the video will be displayed. It should have said: "Here is a video of a hammer hitting either a LCD or AMOLED and this flexible screen."

tiggerxplur

Reaction score
Here is a video of a hammer hitting either a LCD or AMOLED and this flexible screen.

Did not know the video will be displayed. It should have said: "Here is a video of a hammer hitting either a LCD or AMOLED and this flexible screen."

wonder what would have happened if they didnt use a rubber hammer like the did the first screen

ruthless101901

Reaction score
I have the Fascinate and love the screen so far. A flexible, durable screen would be great. So far Samsung is very impressive, except in the software department.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App