Samsung May Be Ditching The Note Series For Good

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

According to a new report Samsung may be ditching the Note series for good instead focusing on releasing one family of devices once a year. This change is apparently being made to better insure the quality of devices going forward. It had been heavily speculated that Samsung would at the bare minimum drop the "Note" moniker from the power user handsets and simply change the name of the lineup, but it looks like they may be doing away with it for good, or at least do a way with the 3rd quarter new flagship launch. Samsung has confirmed none of these reports so their is still hope for the Note series yet. I just hope they will give us an S-Pen option to go along with the S lineup that isn't clunky if they decide to do away with the Note series. Will any of you miss the Note series if it disappears?

via TechnoBuffalo

xxwabbit

Reaction score
I was really looking forward to it. Wife has the 5 and I do like it. I'm a Droid guy, but would really like the s-pen. Holding onto hope they will continue.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Whatever they do, I can't imagine they would give up on the s-pen. The only phone that has a pen and that has been one of the most popular devices out there; I think the s-pen phone will continue. Maybe by another name, but it'll continue.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
This sounds like wild speculation, especially if - as the article states - "Samsung has confirmed none of these reports."

Makes you wonder where these "reports" are coming from.

Beardface

Reaction score
Well, yeah... of course the Note series is dead. The Note name itself is tarnished beyond repair, and it would be completely fruitless to try and put out a Note 8. That name alone is dead.

The phones themselves are probably just going to be packaged under a name to tie it together with the regular Galaxy devices as a larger version, like Apple does with the iPhone Plus and Google does with the Pixel XL.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
This would be a smart business decision on their part. In public opinion anything note related is safety hazard and not worth wasting time with.

They should rename note line to samsung galaxy fire!

Batman8

Reaction score
I SURELY hope this is not the case! All I have used for the past several years has been the Note series, even with my tablets as well as phones. There is NOTHING that compares.

Come on Samsung...give us the Note 8 (even if by another name) it just needs to have all the Note 7 features and more, including of course the S-pen.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Good call, they probably will use another name for note, as pad is used for Apple, something similar. I believe someone suggested that in another thread as well.

I'd buy it for sure.
Sent from my New Note 7

Amagine

Reaction score
Why not just push out the functionality for S-pen in an OTA for the S7 series. A generic pen will work on the S-series. So i don't know if there is actual hardware functionality outside of that. So far I have only seen a few complaints about the size of the Note versus the use of the pen. It could even be a win for Samsung in making the S-Pen another accessory to sell for S-series owners.

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
The only Note I ever had was the Note 3 but I really did love the phone. My son is still using my Note 3. I just never really used the pen and didn't care for Samsung so decided to go with the V10 to try something new.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
How about the Galaxy Script or something along those lines? Here's to hoping they keep up with this awesome line. I had the 2 and 3 and loved'm

chevycam94

SteelDroid ROM / Cortex ROM Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P, VZW Note Edge, D1
They have such a strong item when it comes to the S-Pen, that ending that technology would hinder a lot of people. I really wanted a Note 7. But if a phone with a stylus was no longer an option, that would kind of suck. I actually use the pen in the Note Edge quite a bit. More than I though I would. The Note 7 issues were really just a fluke. Not a single issue until now. Thats not a reason to kill the entire series. Thats taking the cheap way out. Just find the problem, do better testing, and continue. Its a speedbump, not a brick wall.