Samsung May be Considering Ditching the Waterproof Feature for the Galaxy S6

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
galaxy-s5-under-water.jpg

This seems like an appropriate story to share right after the earlier one about water bouncing metals. According to the latest rumor, Samsung's Galaxy S6 might not have one of the best features found on the Galaxy S5: water-proofing.

If true, this would be a strange back-step for any manufacturer to undertake. Typically when we see a new flagship smartphone hit the market, it will include all of the best features of the previous generation, plus some new ones. That equation doesn't usually include subtracting useful features.

While, one could argue that people get along just fine without water-resistant smartphones, it could also be argued that there is no reason why smartphones should not evolve to include this feature as a given. This is especially true considering how expensive they can be.

Not all hope is lost, however. According to the report, Samsung will still release a version of the Galaxy S6 which will have water-proofing. Perhaps they are going to go back to their previous tactic of offering an "Active" version of the Galaxy S flagship. What do you think of this development if it turns out to be true?

Don't forget to check out our dedicated Galaxy S6 Section here: Samsung Galaxy S6 General Discussions Android Forum at DroidForums.net

Source: BGR

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
These phones will all be water resistant once they finally ditch the charging ports and offer wireless charging only. I had to replace the flap on our S5 a few days ago.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Water-proofing hasn't been an issue for me with smartphones. Sure, most of that is just luck (we won't get into the flip phone that took a bath in Captain & Coke once), but it's not a major selling feature for me.

I am once again forced to point out that Samsung just came out and said that they were revamping their mobile lines after a not-so-stellar quarter. Spending extra money and resources on R&D and producing different variants of the same phone (regular, water-proofed, edge-screened, sandwich-making) doesn't seem very cost-effective to me.

Of course, the only time I ever spent in manufacturing was as a final line assembler, never in planning or development, so I could just be misunderstanding the situation here.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I think removing a feature that was such a great selling point with the S5 is the wrong move. It should be the standard on all phones going forward, being that these devices have become such an integral part of our lives. Sure, you may not need this feature that often, but having that piece of mind when a circumstance does arrive is invaluable.
Used my phone last summer to take photos and it rained all day long. Typically I wouldn't spend the day in the rain, but we were on vacation and already paid to get into the national park, so I wasn't going to let a little rain stop me from having a good time. Both myself & my S5 got soaked, but I can honestly say it exceeded my expectations and is definitely a feature I'll try my best to make sure is included when purchasing my next smartphone.

S5 tap'n

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I think that all mobile devices should be at least, very water resistant.. Able to be fully submerged for a short amount of time.. It makes sense.. With constant downpours being a very real thing down here.. For me it's kind of a needed feature. It's one less thing to worry about. As it is I keep "phone bags" in my truck. So if it rains, device goes in a bag. Even though the turbo is supposed to resist rain. I don't take chances.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I think the reason may be because the flap would break on so many devices. And of course, that's considered damage instead of manufacturing defect

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Water-proofing hasn't been an issue for me with smartphones. Sure, most of that is just luck (we won't get into the flip phone that took a bath in Captain & Coke once), but it's not a major selling feature for me.

I am once again forced to point out that Samsung just came out and said that they were revamping their mobile lines after a not-so-stellar quarter. Spending extra money and resources on R&D and producing different variants of the same phone (regular, water-proofed, edge-screened, sandwich-making) doesn't seem very cost-effective to me.

Of course, the only time I ever spent in manufacturing was as a final line assembler, never in planning or development, so I could just be misunderstanding the situation here.
No I believe you're right on target. Garbage in, garbage out, regardless of what point of the line the garbage starts. Spending the resources at the design stage to end up with nothing new or better is still a waste of resources.
To me a little rubber flap giving a rating of ip67, or whatever, to justify an extra c note on the selling price is a no brainer. Why rethink that?

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I'm surprised at how well my little flap has held up. (Knock on wood!)

S5 tap'n

So So So So many good jokes to run with here LOL

My BIGGEST selling point for any phone in the future will be a virtually indestructible screen.... I KNOW that with technology these days that if someone wanted to they could create a crystal clear plastic that would be both scratch resistant and darn near bullet proof....

Water RESISTANCE was a cool feature BUT not something I was concerned with on a day to day basis.... With my line of work my phone is always falling to the ground and I need something that holds up.... I have yet to find a case that fully protected my phone AND didn't add a ton of bulk...

Yes I know about the tempered glass screen protectors but as I just broke one of those and then just over a week later shattered the actual screen I am not fully sold... Although I will keep one on my phones from now on as I know they can't hurt anything.

I have seen a few for the Note 4 which will be my next phone in about 3 or 4 weeks.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Ummm....you do realize you have to replace the tempered glass protector once it shatters right? LOL (I know that second drop hurt...sorry bud!)
But obviously it protected your screen on the first drop, just as it did with my SON's phone. As far as I'm concerned this is the best option available right now and I don't see them improving on it much while at the same time keeping things cost effective for the end user.
This is why they have yet to release a sapphire glass screen on devices larger than a smartwatch screen. I'm sure eventually they'll find a way to get the cost down.

S5 tap'n

Last edited by a moderator:

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Ummm....you do realize you have to replace the tempered glass protector once it shatters right? LOL (I know that second drop hurt...sorry bud!)
But obviously it protected your screen on the first drop, just as it did with my SO 's phone. As far as I'm concerned this is the best option available right now and I don't see them improving on it much while at the same time keeping things cost effective for the end user.
This is why they have yet to release a sapphire glass screen on devices larger than a smartwatch screen. I'm sure eventually they'll find a way to get the cost down.

S5 tap'n

The problem with the screen protector breaking is I have NO IDEA how it broke... It was in my pocket all day, when I got home I tossed it on the pillow on the couch... When I looked I noticed it was cracked....

But yes the fall from my pocket killed it. LOL

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
That stinks. Sorry for you. My OG Moto X got shattered the very day after i turned down insurance at the Verizon store. That was a double-bummer.

Perhaps you leaned against a counter or something. Any way you slice it a shattered screen is a bad day.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't get samsung. Instead of removing features why not add wireless charging like Sony has on z3v?