Samsung May Actually Drop the Snapdragon 810 for Their Galaxy S6 After All

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Exynos_Chip_Wide.jpg

Last Thursday we reported a rumor that Samsung was considering dropping the Snapdragon 810 from their Galaxy S6 due to heat problems with the chip from Qualcomm. We were skeptical of the rumor because so many other manufacturers are putting the Snapdragon 810 in their new flagship smartphone. Despite our skepticism, we seem to have a new confirmation of the rumor from a more reputable source.

According to a report from Bloomberg, "people with direct knowledge of the matter" indicated that Samsung has indeed decided not to use the Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 in their Galaxy S6 flagship which will be revealed in March. Part of the reason is that Samsung claims heat related issues with the product, but the other reason is that Samsung is trying to become more self-reliant and boost their own processor division.

Even Wall Street is taking this news seriously as Qualcomm stock has already dropped 3.5% in early trading because of this report.

What do you guys think? Is this good news, bad news, or something in between?

Here's our dedicated Samsung Galaxy S6 section for further discussions: Samsung Galaxy S6 General Discussions Android Forum at DroidForums.net

Last edited:

eddiekeyton

Banned
Reaction score
Twitter
eddiekeyton
I think its a good move. Heat can cause battery drainage and other serious problems. I'm excited to see what proc they decide to use.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Bad news for Qualcomm, could be good for Samsung. The only people that will notice a difference in performance would be the ones who use benchmark tests I think. I recall awhile back they did a comparison between the Qualcomm s4 and the Exynos s4, and in real world use they weren't much different. The only difference I recall was battery life, but that could've been due to the fact that the radios in the Exynos weren't for US region and therefore had worse signal.

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
Hopefully they don't change to much and mess up a good thing.....

sent from my sexy Note 4

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Could be a good thing for Samsung, with manufacturers using almost exactly the same internals anymore this could help them stand out. Although I'm sure only the hard-core enthusiast will know the difference. But at least this will separate them from the pack a little.

on the move..

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I've always gotten better battery life with Exynos on board than the Qualcomm equivalents. I'm sure it had to do with not being able to use LTE in the U.S.

My benchmarks were always higher as well.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
When I see that they're claiming this decision was made based on heat, I think back to the S4. That thing seemed to run so hot, especially compared to my Note 4. Idk if it's an issue with touchwiz running in the background on top of whatever you happen to be doing with the devices, but if their devices tend to run a little hotter than others with similar/identical specs, this is a smart move.

Either way, as others have stated, it'll provide a bit of much needed variance in specs of flagship devices as well as set Samsung up to make some more coin.

Who knows, maybe they'll be selling Exynos processors to other oems before we know it if this works out for them.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Sammy recently invested 15 Billion $$ in it's new factory outside of Seoul to insure availability of chips for their own devices as well for those they supply to Apple and Xiaomi.

LG said they will use the Snapdragon 810 in the new Flex 2 and have come up with a workaround to the 810's overheating issue.

Rumor has it that Sammy's long term plan is to use their own in house Tizen OS in all their devices. The use of their in house chip and OS insures compatibility and drives down costs. This strategy makes sense to me.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Sammy recently invested 15 Billion $$ in it's new factory outside of Seoul to insure availability of chips for their own devices as well for those they supply to Apple and Xiaomi.

LG said they will use the Snapdragon 810 in the new Flex 2 and have come up with a workaround to the 810's overheating issue.

Rumor has it that Sammy's long term plan is to use their own in house Tizen OS in all their devices. The use of their in house chip and OS insures compatibility and drives down costs. This strategy makes sense to me.
I liked that until I read the bit about tizen. I've noticed they're releasing more & more devices running it lately.

More power to them, & I'm on my third one of their devices, but if they drop android altogether, I'll be looking for a new manufacturer to give my money to.

I buy them now because I like some of their additions & don't mind the ones I don't really care for, but those little additions won't mean anything if they drop android. I'm too invested in this ecosystem to even entertain the idea of learning a new OS, even if it's very similar.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I liked that until I read the bit about tizen. I've noticed they're releasing more & more devices running it lately.

More power to them, & I'm on my third one of their devices, but if they drop android altogether, I'll be looking for a new manufacturer to give my money to.

I buy them now because I like some of their additions & don't mind the ones I don't really care for, but those little additions won't mean anything if they drop android. I'm too invested in this ecosystem to even entertain the idea of learning a new OS, even if it's very similar.

You make a good point @Jonny Kansas . It will certainly be a bold move on Sammy's part.
I'm a wait and see guy. Tizen may prove to be as good or perhaps better then Android. Time will tell.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
You make a good point @Jonny Kansas . It will certainly be a bold move on Sammy's part.
I'm a wait and see guy. Tizen may prove to be as good or perhaps better then Android. Time will tell.
I'll definitely wanna check out a device in-store. If it runs android apps, might be a different story, but I still think I'd rather stick with Android since we've had a great relationship since the original android phone arrived on the scene.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I'll definitely wanna check out a device in-store. If it runs android apps, might be a different story, but I still think I'd rather stick with Android since we've had a great relationship since the original android phone arrived on the scene.

Check it out...

gionmi

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Xperia Z3 Compact
How's about edges on both sides?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score