Samsung is Prepping Two 64-Bit Exynos Processors for CES 2014

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Samsung-Exynos-event-CES-2014.jpg

The latest intel from the Samsung camp suggests that the Korean manufacturer is tired of Qualcomm's dominance in the mobile chipset market. According to reports, Samsung has shipped far more Qualcomm versions of their devices than Exynos versions. That might change in 2014 however. Samsung just released an invite for January 7th at CES in 2014, which will supposedly debut their new Exynos line of mobile chipsets. Although their press invite doesn't reveal this, some additional intel suggests Sammy will unveil two Exynos chips at the press event. Here's a quote with the rumored specs of these chips,

The Exynos 6 chipset will be based on ARM’s Cortex-A50 architecture. It will have four Cortex-A57 performance-focused cores, and four Cortex-A53 battery-friendly cores. Obviously, these should power up and down (and ramp up and down) as needed, depending on the current workload.

The Exynos S chipset will use Samsung’s own core designs, and the only thing we know about it yet is that it too will be 64-bit. It may be octa-core too, but that info hasn’t been leaked yet.

The interesting part is that according to MyDrivers, the Exynos 6 will outperform the Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 by a factor of 1.53x. The Exynos S is a bit behind, but it too will manage to be 1.43x faster than Qualcomm’s best.

Of course, more than likely we will see one or more of these chips show up in the Galaxy S5 and perhaps the Galaxy Note 4. We will keep you apprised during the press event.

Source: UnWiredView

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
1.53x faster !!! Wow :icon_eek:.

So instead of it taking .5 seconds to open my browser it will take .3 seconds. Sweet.

My point: making it faster doesn't make it better. What are the real world benefits of a processor 1.53x faster? Or even 5 times faster for that matter, when we are speaking in milliseconds?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
My point: making it faster doesn't make it better. What are the real world benefits of a processor 1.53x faster? Or even 5 times faster for that matter, when we are speaking in milliseconds?

I think the processor has a lot to do with response time, but accessing the internet (on LTE or wifi) is definitely noticeably slower on mobile than on my laptop.

And I love widgets, so my homescreen set-up is very ram intensive. And I think more and more apps will take advantage to the voice commands/always-listening, which is going to start chewing up a lot more ram.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think the processor has a lot to do with response time, but accessing the internet (on LTE or wifi) is definitely noticeably slower on mobile than on my laptop.

And I love widgets, so my homescreen set-up is very ram intensive. And I think more and more apps will take advantage to the voice commands/always-listening, which is going to start chewing up a lot more ram.

Yes, so all your points are to RAM, but not necessarily CPU. My Moto X opens any webpage I through at it blazingly fast OR maybe it's just loads faster than my Gnex, but not necessarily blazing. However, it does so with minimal CPU specs, and 2 Gigs of Ram, instead of the Gnex's 1 Gig.

I wish they would focus on battery life, and user experience, instead of CPU's that heat up quickly, and drain the battery quicker.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I wish they would focus on battery life, and user experience, instead of CPU's that heat up quickly, and drain the battery quicker.

Yeah, I really don't know what my "ideal" specs are. Been hoping to hold out for a ultra-portable "laptop" in a phone (one that could at least dual-boot Windows, if not something more convenient), but appears we may yet be 2-3 years away. A lower powered CPU with 3-4gigs of ram is probably better for my usage habits.

Think I'll hold on to my Rezound for another 6-12 months until I have a better sense of what VZW is going to do with unlimited and what VoLTE means to existing phones/plans. I'd hate to pay full retail the more practical option is a new plan with a subsidized phone.

hotice

Reaction score
Not enough information

They told us what doesn't matter, it has the same "eight" core design that the old octacore had - which was not better than the Snapdragons in performance or battery life. They didn't say if they improved to 28nm or are they still on a 32nm die size? Qualcomm should have a 20nm Snapdragon 805 out 1st quarter of 2014. That means it will use less power. That's something I care about. It's 64bit but that doesn't matter except for marketing which may matter. Ironically the iPhone has a 64bit processor but Apple has only recently started giving their phones 1GB of RAM. It will be a while before they break the 4GB barrier which will make the 64bit processor actually needed. The Galaxy Note series is much closer to that "need" at 3GB already and countless Android devices have 2GB of RAM.

I also wonder what it's faster at...graphics, floating point, integer? As others have said I'm not sure it will be a noticeable improvement over the Snapdragon 800.