Samsung Holding Out On Us

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com

It has been frustrating waiting for the Fascinate 2.2 update... Well this rumor might shed some light on what Samsung is doing. Recently, word has been spreading that Samsung has a deal going with T-mobile keeping them from updating their current Vibrants, and maybe even Fascinate, to the next level of Android because they want to launch the new Vibrant Plus with something special. They say the update has been ready to be pushed out to devices for weeks now, but Samsung wants to sell more devices so they are holding out on us.

Here is the original quote:
Some disturbing things have happened the last week or so concerning our "Vibrant". Samsung has NOT allowed us to push the update OTA for 2.2 because they feel it will decrease the value of the upcoming Vibrant4G +. While from a marketing aspect i totally understand, as the Vibrant 4G is what the original Vibrant should have been in the 1st place. But to shun off and bold face lie to customers is NOT what T-Mobile is about.
...Being that, Vibrant 4G and Vibrant have exactly same stats, added FFC and a new movie and the 4G. But i will tell you this, the original vibrant CAN utilize 4G FULLY. Yes FULLY. not what they are telling you.
Now when you think about that 40 Million mark Samsung is hoping to hit this year… This makes more sense now.

Is this the way Samsung should sell phones? I don’t think it’s too smart, but I shouldn’t say much considering I will be buying the new Samsung Vibrant 4G :(.

Source (Rumor: Original Samsung Vibrant Froyo Update Being Purposely Held Due to Vibrant Plus | Android Phone Fans)

Last edited by a moderator:

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
I would think that they would realize that their actions (if this is correct) would turn off some potential customers. I know if they hadnt released an update for their current line, i sure wouldn't be lining up to buy the next phone they released.

OP
W

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I would think that they would realize that their actions (if this is correct) would turn off some potential customers. I know if they hadnt released an update for their current line, i sure wouldn't be lining up to buy the next phone they released.
Yes,
You're very right. Personaly the only reason I am ready to buy this new Vibrant is because I wanted the original but I also wanted a phone with 4G (and this device has 21Mb/sec compered to every other T-mobile 4G phone that's limited to 14 Mb/sec) and front facing camera... Which I want so I can chat it up with my friends that have Qik.
Not to mention I currently have the HTC HD7 has my main phone, and wow am I ready to go back to Android.
I miss it too much to care if Samsung wants to screw people over. (I will root my phone and update with CM7). :)

Inkarnit

Reaction score
Yes,
You're very right. Personaly the only reason I am ready to buy this new Vibrant is because I wanted the original but I also wanted a phone with 4G (and this device has 21Mb/sec compered to every other T-mobile 4G phone that's limited to 14 Mb/sec) and front facing camera... Which I want so I can chat it up with my friends that have Qik.
Not to mention I currently have the HTC HD7 has my main phone, and wow am I ready to go back to Android.
I miss it too much to care if Samsung wants to screw people over. (I will root my phone and update with CM7). :)

I guess if you plan on modding your phone like that then it doesn't matter too much, but I personally wouldn't ever buy a Samsung phone. Moto has its issues with locking down the bootloader, but they at least update their phones rather than force us to buy a new one just for a software update.

funwheeldrive

Reaction score
How hard is it for a one company to back its phones and not lock it down?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Samsung needs to be careful before they're customers wise up. Just push the updates... people will naturally want the latest and greatest anyway... keep them satisfied and they'll keep buying is my train of thought.