Samsung Galaxy S6 New Rumor Round-Up

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-galaxy-premium-metal.jpg

We came in this morning to find a number of new and intriguing rumors regarding the Samsung Galaxy S6. Rather than spread them out, it made more sense to list them all in a round-up article. Some of this intel is a repeat of what we have heard before, but some is pretty new and pretty specific.

Here's the breakdown:
  1. The Samsung Galaxy S6 will be revealed at MWC 2015 in early March and will have a full retail launch in late March.
  2. The Samsung Galaxy S6 will have a unibody metal design (and may not include the usual removable battery we have come to expect on previous Galaxy devices).
  3. The Samsung Galaxy S6 will have a minimum 64GB Storage built-in and will also include a microSD slot for extra storage.
  4. The Samsung Galaxy S6 will again be water-resistant.
  5. There will be a special dual-Edge screen version of the device (basically like the Galaxy Note Edge, but with the rounded edge appearing on both sides.
  6. The Samsung Galaxy S6 will ship with an improved fingerprint sensor.
That's quite a bit to chew on for now. As always we will be on the lookout for further corroboration or refutation of any of this intel.

Sound off and let us know what you like (or didn't like) about any of these latest Galaxy S6 rumors.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Really, the only thing that bothers me there is a matter of personal preference. I prefer the option to replace the battery, even if I never actually do.

However, I'm glad they're continuing their trend of aluminum over plastic. Just feels a bit more sturdy.

The rest of the rumors sound alright to me, thought I won't be in the market when this one comes out. Glad to see the full retail launch instead of the staggered release we kinda saw with the Note 4.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that the metal body is because some people feel that's the way to go. I think it's more psychological than any real benefit. Current plastic frames are plenty sturdy, the metal (uni)body serves to shield signal strength and usually doesn't allow for battery replacement.I'm with JK, I want to option of the battery replacement though I have only had to do that once with all my phones.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I'm also in the removable battery camp. I'm not the typical user though. I just don't see the benefits of a unibody since most people wrap a $700 phone in a plastic case.

Unibodies do retard signal strength as well. My i6 without a case gets worse reception than any other phone in our family (i5S, LG G3, S5, Note 4(×2), and the Note Edge).

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I really hope they improve the fingerprint scanner like the rumors suggest. If there is one thing I prefer Apple for, it's the scanner.
64gb on board storage? That's a bit overkill, unless of course they go through with the unibody design (which I think would hurt them in the long run)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Granted, I know 2 people with s5's, but I haven't played with that fingerprint scanner much. I have watched videos on it though and used the one on the Note 4 as well as watched videos on the Note's scanner before I got it.

It seems to me, from those videos, sometimes with the same guy trying, that they actually did improve it some between the note and the s5, but there's definitely room for more improvement.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Yes, they did make some improvements between those devices, but ideally I'd like to see it be as easy as placing my finger on the sensor, not swiping. Probably asking too much

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I'm still waiting for the on-screen scanner that Samsung was working on.