Samsung Developing a Round Smartwatch that Will Include Wireless Charging

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-circular-smart-watch-5.png

It looks like Samsung is still striving to make a dent in the smartwatch industry that they basically pioneered. They appear to be going back to the drawing board since their previous designs haven't been very successful products. Samsung's latest creation will apparently have a round face like the Moto 360 and LG G Watch R.

The watch will be called the Orbis (although that might just be the internal name) with the model number SM-R720. What will distinguish Samsung's round-faced watch from the crowd is that it will include wireless charging as a standard feature. This seems like a smart move by Sammy as wireless charging makes a great deal more sense for a watch than needing to plug it into a wall outlet.

Finally, we still have no word on whether the watch will come with Android, Tizen or some other OS, but more than likely it will be Tizen.

The watch could be revealed during MWC in March. We will keep you apprised.

Source: Exclusive Samsung 8217 s round smartwatch will feature wireless charging SamMobile

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
So...er...
If it's not Android Wear, it will FAIL.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Samsung acting like Apple once again by using a Samsung only os? Just because Samsung sold a katrillion Galaxy devices doesn't ensure success with Tizen.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I don't think there will be much of a difference if it is Android Wear or not. If it's Tizen then they have finally admitted defeat to being Android compatible because there is only one Tizen phone for it to work with.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There was a rumour, early last year maybe?, that Samsung was experimenting with getting away from Android exclusive and putting out more phones with their own Tizen operating system. I'm thinking it was a very early rumor of the Note4 or S5. It was on the news if this site pre reformat of the forum so I'm not sure it made it to the new format of the forum.
I really do see Samsung being willing to go their own os at some point with its own walled garden like ios and to be honest I'd welcome it to give Android and ios a run for their money since they both seem to be in a race to out plagiarize the other now.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Tizen is supposed to be Android compatible. That would leave Samsung in the same boat they are in now. No money coming in after selling the hardware to the consumer.