Samsung Declares They are Working Hard on Exynos Security Vulnerability

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-exynos-logo-and-chip.png

Just a few days ago, we shared that there is a security vulnerability in the Samsung Exynos line of chips. This vulnerability allows the phone to be rooted using a simple apk file , which could potentially allow malicious software to easily gain complete access to your device. XDA developers were quick to create a work-around, and in the mean-time, Samsung has released a statement that they are working hard to get it officially fixed. Here's a quote,

“Samsung is aware of the potential security issue related to the Exynos processor and plans to provide a software update to address it as quickly as possible.

The issue may arise only when a malicious application is operated on the affected devices; however, this does not affect most devices operating credible and authenticated applications.

Samsung will continue to closely monitor the situation until the software fix has been made available to all affected mobile devices.”

It's impressive that the community "hive mind" was able to develop a fix so quickly. It will be interesting to see how quickly the "official fix" takes from Samsung.

Source: AndroidAuthority

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Last I saw, the community fix stops the camera from working. How is that a fix? Or have they found a fix that doesn't nuke the camera?

djsiva

Reaction score
Last I saw, the community fix stops the camera from working. How is that a fix? Or have they found a fix that doesn't nuke the camera?

Only breaks camera on some devices. I used the exploit to root my Note 2, then disabled the explolit and my camera still works. :)