[Rumor] Samsung's Galaxy Note 4, LG G3, and Pantech Vega Iron 2 to be Water-Proof

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
LG-G2-Display-with-water-graphic.jpg

The waterproofing of the Samsung Galaxy S5 and the Sony Xperia Z2 may be the beginning of a new pattern. It's increasingly hard to distinguish between devices anymore, so it looks like manufacturers are throwing every feature they can at their devices. The latest trendy feature might just be the waterproofing, if this newest rumor is accurate. Supposedly, the Samsung Galaxy Note 4, the LG G3 and the Vega Iron 2 will all include some form of certified water-resistance.

Samsung is utilizing a Liquid Silicon Moulding method from a third party Korean partner for the water-resistant S5 and will include it in their Galaxy Note 4. Pantech and LG will be using their own internally-developed waterproofing techniques. This confirms a few earlier rumors suggesting this same info for these devices.

As an interesting sidenote, this report also indicated that the LG G3 and the Pantech Vega Iron 2 are expected to be launched to retail stores in May.

What do you guys think of this water-proofing trend? Perhaps it's just the natural evolution of these devices...

Source: PhoneArena

Jmoore1701

Reaction score
I think it's about time these devices were made waterproof, or at the very least, water-resistant. Normal usage of a smartphone is going to bring you near water several times a day, whether it's a sink, a toilet, rain, or drinks on a table or desktop. I don't expect a phone to survive an hour in a swimming pool or hot tub, but it shouldn't be disabled by a few minutes exposure to water...

Asgard

Reaction score
I've been saying this since OEMs ditched the removable batteries.

If you are going to enclose everything so that I can't replace the battery, then enclose it really good and make it waterproof

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
The only phone I've ever replaced by insurance due to my own negligence rather than hardware failure was when I stuck my Note II in my bathing suit pocket to take it, along with some other items, down to the hotel pool and forgot it was in my pocket. I remembered pretty spankin' quickly but it was far too late. Even if dunking it killed the battery but left the phone operational, that would be better than killing a $650 piece of mobile electronics when a relatively inexpensive feature would save it.