[Rumor] Samsung Prime is Nexus Device For ALL Carriers; Maybe Droid Prime for VZW

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus-prime-ics-droid.png

There is some new "rumint" that suggests the naming mystery of the Android Prime might finally be solved. Supposedly, while attending a Verizon developer's conference in Las Vegas, a journalist for theDroidGuy.com was able to have a "backroom" meeting with a Samsung employee in which they were able to get a private preview of a demo unit that was the Samsung Prime. According to their article, this Samsung employee divulged that the Samsung Prime is indeed the next Nexus device, and will be coming to ALL carriers. He further elaborated that Verizon may indeed be calling it the DROID Prime.

Additionally, he shared most of the specs of the device and a potential release time-frame! The phone will probably be available in late October or early November. According to this source, the demo unit was running Gingerbread for now, because Ice Cream Sandwich was not quite ready yet. He did indicate that it should be ready in time, and will come on the final version of the Samsung Prime. Here is a description of the device with specs the source divulged:
  • Looks similar to the Nexus S, but is taller to accommodate the LTE radio
  • Power Button and volume rocker on sides
  • NFC, MHL and HDMI
  • 8MP camera on the back and 2MP camera on the front
  • Ice Cream Sandwich
  • T.I. dual-core OMAP processor
For now, this could simply be nothing but hearsay, so we are calling it a rumor; however, it definitely is within the realm of possibility, and would be quite exciting if it turned out to be true!

Source: PrimeForums via TheDroidGuy

Last edited:

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It doesn't feel right having a "Nexus Device" without having "Nexus" in the name...

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I know it's all rumors as of now but how much would it stink if this phone was released to every carrier but Verizon. Or it was completely unlocked except on Verizon. I am almost preparing myself for both of those things to be true.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know it's all rumors as of now but how much would it stink if this phone was released to every carrier but Verizon. Or it was completely unlocked except on Verizon. I am almost preparing myself for both of those things to be true.
Your "glass half empty side" is showing OTR. LOL.

You don't have to worry about Verizon not getting it. From everything I have heard from multiple sources, the reason why Verizon passed on the SGS2 was because they were getting this device. I am confident they will get the Prime.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Your "glass half empty side" is showing OTR. LOL.

You don't have to worry about Verizon not getting it. From everything I have heard from multiple sources, the reason why Verizon passed on the SGS2 was because they were getting this device. I am confident they will get the Prime.

haha, I know I know. I have been holding out for a phone like this since I was eligible for an upgrade 82 years ago, yes I have had the OG Droid for 82 years and yes I also have Benjamin Button syndrome and age backwards.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
haha, I know I know. I have been holding out for a phone like this since I was eligible for an upgrade 82 years ago, yes I have had the OG Droid for 82 years and yes I also have Benjamin Button syndrome and age backwards.

LMAO. Say hello to Merlin for me... ;)

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
If you showed people the Droid 1 82 years ago, they would have fallen over dead!

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you showed people the Droid 1 82 years ago, they would have fallen over dead!

Well no one fell over dead but you know what did happen 82 years ago right? The start of the great depression. When I showed people my phone, naturally they got scared sold off all their stocks and freaked out. In hindsight I feel bad but what can ya do.

But to stay on topic, this is my next phone whenever it drops.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

Tank_Tak

Reaction score
While I'm hopeful and waiting patiently for this device, I have to say I would really be letdown if its available on all markets. I wanna be able to say I have the best phone available, and its only available on Verizon, lol. Wish Verizon could have it exclusively.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
While I'm hopeful and waiting patiently for this device, I have to say I would really be letdown if its available on all markets. I wanna be able to say I have the best phone available, and its only available on Verizon, lol. Wish Verizon could have it exclusively.

It seems like there would be a substantially higher amount of Dev backing for a phone that was on all carriers. That plus I would never want to deprive anyone of Android Awesomeness - there are always iphone owners we can gloat our hardware to...

Tank_Tak

Reaction score
It seems like there would be a substantially higher amount of Dev backing for a phone that was on all carriers. That plus I would never want to deprive anyone of Android Awesomeness - there are always iphone owners we can gloat our hardware to...
you know what, didnt even think about that. OK open platform on all carriers works for me, haha.

1ceFiend

Reaction score
I'm confused why people keep saying this will be unlocked for everyone, but Verizon. Didn't Verizon come out awhile ago and say that they weren't against rooting phones and unlocked phones? Don't remember the exact wording of it. Seems like they were kind of tricky in how it was phrased.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C

It would be a carrier melting pot!