[Rumor] Google Glass Rumored to Cost Just $300 at Final Launch; Plus Unboxing Video

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;egxeUQYtGv4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=egxeUQYtGv4[/video]​

Please place heavy emphasis in your mind on the fact that this story is a rumor. Supposedly, Google Glass could be launched at a ridiculously cheap price-point of just $300 USD. This comes from Topology Research analyst Jason Tsai. Here's a quote with some of the details,

The Google Glass is expected to carry an initial price tag to consumers of US$299, Topology researcher Jason Tsai told reporters on the sidelines of a local seminar on wearable devices.

The device's display component, which will probably be supplied by Taiwan-based Himax Display Inc., will cost between US$30 and US$35 and will account for the biggest share of the total cost in the near term, he said.

Google announced July 22 that it had agreed to buy a 6.3-percent stake in Himax Display, which produces liquid crystal on silicon (LCOS) chips and modules used in devices such as the Google Glass, head-up displays and handheld projectors.

“We believe wearable devices will face the first wave of growth in the coming one to three years due to their innovative features, and will then experience a rapid growth in the next phase when the market becomes more mature,” Tsai said.

According to Topology's projections, the global output value of wearable devices will grow from US$1.2 billion in 2011 to US$18.3 billion in 2018.

Here at HQ we think this "rumint" is entirely possible; however, we also think it is entirely improbable. This seems like the same kind of wishful thinking that was labeled on the Moto X which turned out to be completely wrong. More than likely, the Google Glass device will come out at a price-point similar to a mid-range to high-end smartphone... perhaps around $500-600 USD. Of course, we are hoping Google Glass will come out at just $300 bucks like a Nexus 4. It would be very alluring at that price.

What do you think? If Google introduced Google Glass at only $300 bucks would you be more apt to consider buying it?

In the mean-time, check out the fairly entertaining Google Glass unboxing video above to whet your appetite.

Source: ChinaPost

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
source being china post.

659_grain-of-salt.gif

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
^^. Yes. Too true, but in fairness to ChinaPost (this time), they are simply reporting what an analyst predicted. So, technically it is his predictions that are suspect not their report. :)

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I think that story is outrageous and I don't believe it for a second.

$300 is a totally ridiculous number.

When they're broadly, commercially available, I PREDICT GOOGLE GLASS(ES) WILL RETAIL FOR $100 (YES, ONE HUNDRED) a pair.

And here is my rationale: remember that Google is into data (and advertising and search and data mining), not hardware. "Give away the hardware and make money on the data." Of course, such reasoning could be used on existing devices (like the Nexus 4) and the evidence would suggest I'm wrong. What's DIFFERENT about Google Glass, however, is that the user basically becomes a full-time, 24/7, geolocated information source.

- audio always on? check
- video always on? check
- location always known? check
- everything you say, everything you do, beamed back to the mother ship? check

Just having those kinds of ridiculously dense data streams is enough to subsidize a FREE unit for every US citizen (and a huge percent of the undocumented illegals, too). The whole concept of putting a price on the hardware is just to drum up interest, and to obscure the fact that such technology exists NOT to make our lives easier or more fun/interesting, but rather to provide a constant stream of marketable information to Google.

To be clear: I am in no way attaching myself to the recent NSA scandal, or implying that this all boils down to a government conspiracy. I'm not even trying to bring in the obvious privacy concerns. I'm just saying that putting this thing on your head will make Google a HUGE amount of money.

Remember, we're less than a decade from fully-connected, fully-integrated smart-homes, smart-cars, smart-watches, smart-everything. And don't even try to argue about opt-out. We've already given Google 91.8% of our life in data -- the last few percent will be given willingly and happily for the convenience of being able to turn on the air conditioning in the house while we're driving home from work. EDIT: OK, that's a really weak example -- obviously adaptive-sensing software will handle the air temps for us -- we won't need to do it manually. How about this instead: ...will be given willingly and happily for the convenience of having every waking minute of our lives neatly categorized and archived for us, and completely searchable in real-time...? (Guys, you know what that means, don't you? It means we'll finally be JUST AS GOOD as women at "remembering" what the other person said during an argument! :icon_ banana:)

-Matt

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nice rant "gr"! Was wondering why we haven't seen one in a while. Very well thought out! ;)

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Nice rant "gr"! Was wondering why we haven't seen one in a while. Very well thought out! ;)
Gee, thanks! I was off the grid for two weeks (how awful). Glad to be back!!! This place is awesome.

-Matt

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
I think that story is outrageous and I don't believe it for a second.

$300 is a totally ridiculous number.

-Matt

i agree, its probably more like $600 :icon_ devil:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Google might have to give these away at some point. Priced any higher than the toy I think the first version or two will be and only uber geeks will buy.

I'm just not sure people are ready for this and that adaptable. Sure, same could be said for the first IPhone, but Google Glass is so much more in your face (pun intended). And plenty of innovative and exciting products have flopped.

The problem I foresee is they're "useless" when you're not wearing them, and it will be a real PITA to tweak (if you even can, and if it's user friendly to do so) them not to annoy you most of the time you're wearing them. I can't get past how this will be anything more than a novelty.

I think these might be more successful if they came with a prescription (i.e. people who are already going to wear glasses all day).

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Google might have to give these away at some point. Priced any higher than the toy I think the first version or two will be and only uber geeks will buy.

I'm just not sure people are ready for this and that adaptable. Sure, same could be said for the first IPhone, but Google Glass is so much more in your face (pun intended). And plenty of innovative and exciting products have flopped.

The problem I foresee is they're "useless" when you're not wearing them, and it will be a real PITA to tweak (if you even can, and if it's user friendly to do so) them not to annoy you most of the time you're wearing them. I can't get past how this will be anything more than a novelty.

I think these might be more successful if they came with a prescription (i.e. people who are already going to wear glasses all day).

Like google experience devices, this was (and still is) mainly meant to encourage development. The real prize is when oakley and other sunglasses /eyeglasses companies decide to make their own. This could be the trend on which we should expect android to continue. Google release a development device that is more open so to encourage development but is plain looking. Then the big boys pick it up, partner and build something that is more appealing to the masses while making the device more secure (harder to modify) to protect their properties.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Like google experience devices, this was (and still is) mainly meant to encourage development. The real prize is when oakley and other sunglasses /eyeglasses companies decide to make their own. This could be the trend on which we should expect android to continue. Google release a development device that is more open so to encourage development but is plain looking. Then the big boys pick it up, partner and build something that is more appealing to the masses while making the device more secure (harder to modify) to protect their properties.

Good point. I wouldn't mind bluetooth glasses that show me an incoming caller and let me waive my hand to dismiss or answer. Earpiece might take some work, though

But, goodness, can you imagine the pop-up ads though? See an ugly person and a coupon for brown bags displays?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Good point. I wouldn't mind bluetooth glasses that show me an incoming caller and let me waive my hand to dismiss or answer. Earpiece might take some work, though

But, goodness, can you imagine the pop-up ads though? See an ugly person and a coupon for brown bags displays?

Where i see this being a hit is the sports /athletic industry. Runners and other athletes can use it to track thier progress, pull up playbooks during training camp or practice, and more.
There is also another industry that will use it but keeping it family friendly ;).

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Where i see this being a hit is the sports /athletic industry. Runners and other athletes can use it to track thier progress, pull up playbooks during training camp or practice, and more.
There is also another industry that will use it but keeping it family friendly ;).

Thanks pc747,now I want a pair for all the wrong reasons.Now were did I put my bible?:p

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
You guys are all thinking "evolutionary." I have a gut feeling that common-sense is going out the window on this one, and it will be the hit technology of the next ten years. How many of you remember (just barely a decade ago) when cell phone ownership in the US lagged badly behind Europe and Asia, and we all lived on our landlines? Really, it wasn't that long ago. In another 10 years we'll look back and frankly not understand how we lived in 2013 without a camera on our face, constantly capturing the world in front of us and cleverly recognizing/analyzing/tracking it. Just like the way we'd instantly go bonkers and lose our mind if someone transported us back to 2001 and we couldn't find our smartphone. LOL Well, OK the timetravel would be enough to cause insanity but you get the point.

-Matt

acousticshade

Reaction score
In 10 years, you will be wearing a gopro camera in your glasses with a digital heads up display that tells you of your impending death/crash with complete tactile feedback so you can preview your pain.

$300 might be a crazy low price point, but it might be crazy good advertising too. Google does not want this product to be a 'meh' to the majority of the population, so a super low price would significantly increase consumption.