Ruined the camera

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yes, we don't want to commit fraud, but at this point we don't know the water caused the damage. It was most likely the drop. The OP can tell them it fell, which is the truth. If (and again IF) the water didn't contribute, then remove that excuse for the tech to latch on to.

I took my OG Droid into a Verizon store because the compass was 90 degrees off, the tech said I had too many apps running and did a factory reset. They were looking at my apps list and not running apps. I told them I had done a battery pull which would've killed the running apps anyway.

I'm just suggesting they take it in, tell them it fell and the camera doesn't work. At this point there is no proof the water caused the problem. If they find water damage and ask they can say it was raining when it fell.

I'll go with the suggestion of leaving it dry for a few days just to be sure. It might help.

You're still committing fraud. It's more of a "gray area" by "don't ask, don't tell," but it's still fraud.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yet see how easy to point the finger at the water and not the drop?

Without the water triggering the indicator there is a chance that water had nothing to do with the malfunction. Perhaps it did, perhaps not. I'm not a tech, but I don't want to jump to conclusions.

The OP can go in and tell the whole story, but include the fact that the water indicator isn't tripped and what they did to dry it out. I just don't want them to pay for a new phone just because the tech heard "water" and stopped right there.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yet see how easy to point the finger at the water and not the drop?

Without the water triggering the indicator there is a chance that water had nothing to do with the malfunction. Perhaps it did, perhaps not. I'm not a tech, but I don't want to jump to conclusions.

The OP can go in and tell the whole story, but include the fact that the water indicator isn't tripped and what they did to dry it out. I just don't want them to pay for a new phone just because the tech heard "water" and stopped right there.

Water damage or not, the warranty is void due to the drop. From my experience as a technician, I can almost guarantee the drop damaged the camera.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Water damage or not, the warranty is void due to the drop. From my experience as a technician, I can almost guarantee the drop damaged the camera.

Fair enough. Would the drop be covered by insurance? Of course the OP would have to have insurance for that if a drop was covered. If not, sorry about that.

Last edited:
S

SFGate

I just hope the OP is able to get a fully functioning phone without too much hassle. Good luck.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Fair enough. Would the drop be covered by insurance? Of course the OP would have to have insurance for that if it was covered. If not, sorry about that.

That's what insurance is for.

BobDog437

Reaction score
This is the 1st phone I bought insurance on, as they seem to be less and less water and shock resistant. My last one (LG) went crazy, just from a glass of wine, spilled across the table and over it. And it had the USB and other ports covered.

Rhinokio

Reaction score
Well i recently traded in my gen 1 droid for a droid bionic when the on off button on the gen one got permentaly stuck.
i bought the phone right out good large chunk of change. about a week later it started just randomly shutting off on me and would be really hard to get going again. then finaly it just would not come back on.

I took it into the store, the techs could not get it working so i had to pay 12 bucks to get a new phone sent to me.. YAY. i get the new phone yesterday, box my old one up and send it back. today at work i'm walking out to lunch and decided it was a nice day i would take a pic an put it as my new wall paper.. BAM

camera can not initialize. wtf i've not had this thing for 24 hours it has not been dropped or placed anywhere near water. so i guess i get to drive all the way back to the verizon store and pay another 12 dollars to get another shipped out to me.. YAY

so aparently this just happens

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well i recently traded in my gen 1 droid for a droid bionic when the on off button on the gen one got permentaly stuck.
i bought the phone right out good large chunk of change. about a week later it started just randomly shutting off on me and would be really hard to get going again. then finaly it just would not come back on.

I took it into the store, the techs could not get it working so i had to pay 12 bucks to get a new phone sent to me.. YAY. i get the new phone yesterday, box my old one up and send it back. today at work i'm walking out to lunch and decided it was a nice day i would take a pic an put it as my new wall paper.. BAM

camera can not initialize. wtf i've not had this thing for 24 hours it has not been dropped or placed anywhere near water. so i guess i get to drive all the way back to the verizon store and pay another 12 dollars to get another shipped out to me.. YAY

so aparently this just happens

Two things you could do first: 1. Try an alternate camera app from the Market. Camera FX is a good one. If that works, good.

But even the new app does work you may want to do a Factory Data Reset to see if that will unscramble the camera app. Here's a write up I did a while ago on Factory Data Resets:

If your problem persists "grit your teeth" and do a Factory Reset. These have gotten pretty painless lately by following these simple steps: 1. Make sure Backup and Restore are checked in the Privacy setting. 2. When going through the setup after the reset, turn on wifi as soon as you can (assuming it is available). 3. After you have entered your Gmail account info, you will be presented with a screen that has two check boxes. Basically they are "Do you want Google to backup and restore this phone”. Make sure you check both of those. 4. Open the Market app and accept the market terms. 5. Your apps will then automatically reinstall (paid and free). Set the phone aside for a minute or two and let the apps download and install. 6. If rooted, use an app such as titanium backup to restore data only to select apps such as Tapatalk and you will not have to re-enter all your login information. I do this for 3-4 apps (Tapatalk, SPB Shell, etc.).

I've been flashing new roms/updates about once per day lately and I can be up and running with all my apps and settings back in place in less than 20 minutes. It's pretty painless now.

Rhinokio

Reaction score
well third party camera aps will not work either i'll do a reset tonight after work.. but i seriously doubt that will do it

can you buy insurance for a phone months after purchase? cause i forsee a lot of 12 buck shipping charges on this lemon, i'm pretty ticked off

Rhinokio

Reaction score
did factory reset, same deal with camera, the camcorder ... kinda loaded once, but its screen was black when i closed out an tried it again i got the same can not initialize thing.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
did factory reset, same deal with camera, the camcorder ... kinda loaded once, but its screen was black when i closed out an tried it again i got the same can not initialize thing.

Well, good luck with your new phone! At least it's too early to get a Certified Like New one.

Rhinokio

Reaction score
oh i dont think it is.. since the one they sent yesterday was certified like new. probably the one the original poster sent in because of camera not initializing!

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
oh i dont think it is.. since the one they sent yesterday was certified like new. probably the one the original poster sent in because of camera not initializing!

Funny post!! Thanks for the grins. (not being sarcastic, you really did make me grin about you getting the OP's phone).

That is pretty odd that they would have CLN's this early. On the Bionic they gave out new phones for quite a while before the chute was full of CLN's.

Anyway, have a good day!