RPG on Android?

Toast

Reaction score
First off...Is it possible to export an RPG maker game to work with the Android?
Second off...Is it possible to wrap an exe inside an APK to run executables?
And third off...Would anyone even like to see an RPG maker style RPG in the app store?

I think if users had an RPG maker that allowed for the export to be be compiled for the Android OS there would be a lot of homebrew RPGs out there and I personally think it would be a great one up on those iPhone fanboys if we could create such a thing. : )

-Toast

segen77

Reaction score
asking if you want an RPG for the droid is like asking if you want peanut butter with your jelly, sugar with your kool aid, chicken with your waffles. HELL YEAH I WANT THAT!:gotmyvote:

skourg3

Reaction score
Don't really care about an RPG maker. I'd rather see someone put in the effort to actually code an RPG with the SDK instead of using a tool to export it for them, though I realize that this limits the amount of people who have the ability to do it. I would rather see quality RPGs than people throwing something terrible together just to say they made an RPG.

Also, if quantity is an issue for you, emulators are pure win... though I would like to see some good native Android RPGs.

OP
T

Toast

Reaction score
Don't really care about an RPG maker. I'd rather see someone put in the effort to actually code an RPG with the SDK instead of using a tool to export it for them, though I realize that this limits the amount of people who have the ability to do it. I would rather see quality RPGs than people throwing something terrible together just to say they made an RPG.

Also, if quantity is an issue for you, emulators are pure win... though I would like to see some good native Android RPGs.

For someone like me, it would be in my reach to make a great game with the RPG maker. I don't know much of any code so having to deal with switches I can live with. I am more graphically talented and have a pretty creative mind for a great story line. I've worked on a few short RPGs for fun and always thought how great it would be to play on my phone. : / I understand most amateurs would use default tilesets and sprites...but theres a lot of people who make that on their own. it makes it more genuine : ) All some people need is an engine...in which I do not have. or i would be the happiest person alive lol.:motdroidvert:

Dr. Tenma

Reaction score
If .exes could be ported to run on Android, we'd ALL be devs. Unfortunately that is not the case.

Although an RPG maker would be nice, the thing we need the most is a way to port data from computer versions into an Android format. The Droid, as great as is it is, is not the most practical system for game development- every little change would take far more effort, leading to a ton of crappy games using stock graphics only. Even if, by some miracle, a perfect port was created, if not backwards compatible users like myself who have been working on the same game for a matter of years would be required to reproduce all of that for a favorable result.

The only viable way for this would be for ASCII, the Japan-based company that makes the series, to create it. As the mobile phone market in Japan is vastly different, full of tons of different features and top of the line 3D emulation with no real way to even tell how to use it, something like Android is wayyy off center from the norm and therefore less likely to appeal to a mainstream Japanese company. I can't see this happening until the Android becomes a more settled system or at least "officially" surpasses the iPhone and becomes the standard OS for all phones. As it is, we are in uncharted territory, and until more is mapped out I can't see it happening. Give it a year or two and I wouldn't be surprised, though.

What I really want is a way to transfer Game Maker games over, though- I made a series of horizontal shooters with the mobile market in mind but know nothing of Android programming.

VIRominoff

Reaction score
asking if you want an RPG for the droid is like asking if you want peanut butter with your jelly, sugar with your kool aid, chicken with your waffles. HELL YEAH I WANT THAT!:gotmyvote:

XFD I love the idea of chicken and waffles.

Chargerwr

Reaction score
That would be cool to have a portable RPG. Does anybody know if they have any for ipone or ipod touch?

souperman11

Reaction score
That would be cool to have a portable RPG. Does anybody know if they have any for ipone or ipod touch?
If you mean traditional turn-based RPGs, there is Vay, a SegaCD port... that's about it. There is also one (I can't remember the name) that is supposed to be a bit like Oblivion

maxmluck

Reaction score
Reveansword. But guys check out awplanet for android but I can't find it on market idk why looks awesome though for an android mmorpg

Zaric

Reaction score
Dragon age for Droid................that's better than sex.
images

Varking

Reaction score
If you can create an RPG Maker program for the droid, I will make a few. But I will say first that it will take some time. Even the RPGs I only released to my friends via PC or PS2/3 took months since I wanted to make sure there were no spelling or grammar errors and I wanted to knock out the last few bugs.

The ones I made on the PS2 would last you just roughly 40 hours and your characters would level to 50.

In short, you give me the tools to make an RPG by using my Droid, and I will provide one for free.

Demonbrn

Reaction score
I would like to see a good rpg (not these text ones such as Quest).

Zeroid

Reaction score
Using Gensoid (paid) I'm currently playing Shining Force II. You can easily find the ROM online after you D/L the emulator. It is an epic turn-based strategy RPG 10/10 awesomeness. Definitely check this out if you've never heard of it.

This is probably our best hope right now. Just go play some old school favs like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy series (SNES/NES), etc.

The only problem with Gensoid is the in-game sound causes lag on the frame rate, so either reduce the volume to extremely low levels, or turn it off completely to improve any frame rate issues.

deadlydroid

Reaction score
Can someone list me the GOOD RPG living on my own n college plz someone help me find some game to play