Rooting?

koolaydeman

Reaction score
Hi I'm. Noob to the droid and I wanted to know what exactly rooting is? Also what risks it poses and how exactly to do it? I apologize if this is a re-post but I thank you for a response

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Reaction score
Rooting gives you superuser access to your phone. It lets you mess around with settings and files that you wouldn't normally be able to, as well as enabling you to use certain apps that are for rooted phones only. Examples of my apps include: SetCPU for CPU throttling, to extend my battery life, Autokiller to keep memory free without causing a battery drain like other task killers, Titanium Backup to freeze the stock bloatware, to increase performance and battery life, etc.

It poses almost no real risk. All root methods use the same exploit, and sometimes they take 2 or 3 tries before they work, so if you try and it freezes, don't freak out. Theoretically, rooting voids your warranty. However, we now have an SBF file, which you can use with RSDLite (a free tool from Motorola) to return your phone to a factory new condition, which should solve any software woes you may have (I've used it 6 or 7 times, and it's simple as pie). As to how to do it, google Z4root, there's a thread on xda developers about it, where you can get a copy of it for free. It's a one click root. You want permanent root, temp root goes away when your reboot, and you can always unroot later if you need to.

OP
K

koolaydeman

Reaction score
Thank you very much, just rooted my phone now but am wondering how to install roms? And once again sorry if re-post but I'm new to this whole process lol

Sent from my DROID2

trook

Reaction score
Every rom that you would like to install has thier own set of install instructions, they're all about the same. You now need to get koush's bootstrap. Its an app that will install and boot you into clockwork recovery. You can download it from koush's website or you can buy it on the market. Once you install koush's bootstrap open it and press bootstrap recovery, grant it superuser permissions when prompted. Then tap reboot recovery, your phone will boot into clockwork. Use the volume buttons on your phone to navigate through the menus and the camera button to select. Once your in recovery scroll down to backup and restore, press the camera button, highlight backup and press camera button. Your phone will then create a nandroid backup that will be stored on your sd card incase something goes wrong with your rom install. Once you have that backup, start flashing roms and have fun. There is a lot of other very specific and important info and links in the "hacking rom install class" thread availible in this forum.

Ps.. your phone will take a few minutes to create the nandroid backup, when its done you need to select reboot system. I also left out that the power button will take you back to the previous menu when in clockwork recovery so if you navigate to the wrong folder or just want to go back one press the power button.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
read my sig. below and you will find all you need to know about rooting and more