Rooting Newbie Questions

Escobar

Reaction score
Ok so my Rezound is my first android phone since I had the OG for 5 days. I want to root it and just debloat/de-sense it. I'm using Go Launcher EX and I just don't want sense on it anymore. I have insurance on it through Big Red. This brings in my first question.

Will it void this insurance?

If so, is it easy to get back to stock so that it isn't voided?

If you guys do convince me to do this I will need a bit of help. I know how helpful the people on this site are and how knowledgeable you are too. That's why I've come here. Will getting rid of sense be beneficial? I'd like to start by doing this and just kind of dip my feet in before I go on to something else like a new kernel or rom. Next questions.

Will I be able to download any future updates while rooted?

Is it worth waiting for ICS?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Being part of this site makes me glad I didn't settle for less and get the iphone.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok so my Rezound is my first android phone since I had the OG for 5 days. I want to root it and just debloat/de-sense it. I'm using Go Launcher EX and I just don't want sense on it anymore. I have insurance on it through Big Red. This brings in my first question.

Will it void this insurance?

If so, is it easy to get back to stock so that it isn't voided?

If you guys do convince me to do this I will need a bit of help. I know how helpful the people on this site are and how knowledgeable you are too. That's why I've come here. Will getting rid of sense be beneficial? I'd like to start by doing this and just kind of dip my feet in before I go on to something else like a new kernel or rom. Next questions.

Will I be able to download any future updates while rooted?

Is it worth waiting for ICS?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Being part of this site makes me glad I didn't settle for less and get the iphone.

Yes this will somewhat void your warranty. No you can't fully return it to stock "locked" after unlocking. It doesn't matter though because most Verizon techs don't know how to check for lock/unlocked state. Removing Sense is a very personal thing. If you like it, keep it. After installing a custom recovery you can backup your current ROM. So testing new ones isn't that bad. No you cannot accept an OTA while you're unlocked. ICS is available via an early leak. It's pretty stable but missing features.

Notice that I've said unlocking rather than rooting. Rooting doesn't matter on the Rezound. You have to unlock via HTCDev.com before you can even think of rooting. The recent OTA has killed all of the known root exploits save this one.

There's usually someone around that can help and hopefully answer questions for you. If you choose to unlock, just make sure you're patient and explain what you're doing and what errors(if any) you get if you have problems.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I will be getting my Rezound on Thurs. I have been on the Bionic but had a rooted inc2 in the past, but am a little rusty on HTC.

You said we can't receive updates once unlocked, but htc will still release the ruu for our device for that update right? Are ruu files flashable through custom recovery, or do we need a different utility to install them?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
I will be getting my Rezound on Thurs. I have been on the Bionic but had a rooted inc2 in the past, but am a little rusty on HTC.

You said we can't receive updates once unlocked, but htc will still release the ruu for our device for that update right? Are ruu files flashable through custom recovery, or do we need a different utility to install them?

Yeah. I kind of mis-spoke in my earlier post. You'll receive the OTA if you're unlocked but you won't be able to run it. Safest way to get an OTA is to re-lock and run an RUU(which we do still get).

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok. Sounds good. Thanks for the info. Can't wait to get my Rezound!