Rooting Dinc2 with 2.2.1

dopebox335

Reaction score
I am new to the forum and have never rooted a phone. Im interested in rooting my Dinc 2 but all im finding is info for gingerbread 2.3. Can anyone help with a link?

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You're sure you're running an unrooted 2.2.1 phone? You should have gotten the OTA to 2.3 a while ago.

OP
dopebox335

dopebox335

Reaction score
You're sure you're running an unrooted 2.2.1 phone? You should have gotten the OTA to 2.3 a while ago.
I was told if I want to root, not to take the update. and yes Im sure I have 2.2.1. thanks for ur response

ABQNM

Reaction score
I was told if I want to root, not to take the update. and yes Im sure I have 2.2.1. thanks for ur response

Up until a few weeks ago, we had no exploit that worked on gingerbread, so taking the update meant you couldn't root. Now the tool has been updated to only work with gingerbread. You will need to take the OTA or update manually and then you can root using the guide here.

z_newb

Reaction score
can anyone actualy post something regarding topics

hi ive been searching for days now on how to root my dinc2 2.2.1 stock. every forum ive seen says do G.B... I DONT WANT GINGERBREAD!!!!!! SO.. if someone can actualy help me please and get me to where i can s-off and root my stock dinc2 please help me. thank-you. Z

P.S. ive installed hboot drivers and fast boot drivers because revolutionary reads my device but fails. so i know things are working. im not on verizon and unrevoked i cant find for this device it only shows dinc1 and evo and a few others. when i use it the program says vivwo or something isnt supported.. did we just bypass the 2.2.1 s-off and root...

Last edited:

ABQNM

Reaction score
hi ive been searching for days now on how to root my dinc2 2.2.1 stock. every forum ive seen says do G.B... I DONT WANT GINGERBREAD!!!!!! SO.. if someone can actualy help me please and get me to where i can s-off and root my stock dinc2 please help me. thank-you. Z

P.S. ive installed hboot drivers and fast boot drivers because revolutionary reads my device but fails. so i know things are working. im not on verizon and unrevoked i cant find for this device it only shows dinc1 and evo and a few others. when i use it the program says vivwo or something isnt supported.. did we just bypass the 2.2.1 s-off and root...

The tool used to only support froyo and now it only supports gingerbread. Period. You may be able to dig up an old unrevoked or something that may do it, but if you go to gb then root and s-off you can flash froyo back if you can find the files still.

Sent from my brain using human to phone transport technology.

z_newb

Reaction score
well respected. im on a flashed phone that ive done for cricket so im running cricket service not verizon. is there a possibility you have a link to the signed stock froyo rom that i can boot back to when done?

ABQNM

Reaction score
You will have to upgrade to GB, root and s-off, restore the froyo RUU and then re-install CWM and Root again. You will have S-off so that will not be that bad.

This thread has the link to the stock froyo RUU. Just stop after you flash the froyo RUU.
http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?1766-How-to-restore-to-stock-from-AlpharevX-INCREDIBLE-2-(vivow)-ONLY

Then here you can find instructions to re-flash CWM and root. [Info] After Revolutionary: install Clockworkmod, root & more - xda-developers

I hope this will help you. I know it is not a full guide, but in the time I have that is the best I can do at the moment. Good luck!

GreenAcid

Reaction score
Was there a fix for this? I Currently unrooted my DINC2, and Now I am getting "SERVICE UNAVAILABLE" when I try and do "Software Update" via my phone. Someone said download 2.3.4 from Verizon? But I can't find it.

ABQNM

Reaction score
Was there a fix for this? I Currently unrooted my DINC2, and Now I am getting "SERVICE UNAVAILABLE" when I try and do "Software Update" via my phone. Someone said download 2.3.4 from Verizon? But I can't find it.

There is an article and a link on Android Police from when the GB update came out. This is 2.3.3 so if you need to root it you will be able. [Download] Exclusive: Official HTC Droid Incredible 2 Gingerbread RUU 2.18.605.4 (Same As The Official Gingerbread OTA)

ABQNM

Reaction score
This is his third thread. I gave him the exact same link in the other thread.

This post is Incredible 2!

Yeah I saw your post after I posted on the two in the hacks sub-forum. Handy link to keep bookmarked. I give that one out constantly in different forums.

GreenAcid

Reaction score
There is an article and a link on Android Police from when the GB update came out. This is 2.3.3 so if you need to root it you will be able. [Download] Exclusive: Official HTC Droid Incredible 2 Gingerbread RUU 2.18.605.4 (Same As The Official Gingerbread OTA)

No, I Need to get 2.3.4...The software update part of the phone working. It says "SERVICE UNAVAILABLE. PLEASE TRY AGAIN WHEN SERVICE IS AVAILABLE"

Even when I go to Recovery via HBOOT, it starts downloading the Verizon Update, and then a Triangle with a ! comes up. I hit Vol Up and Power, and i get to Install from SD card, and it fails.

ABQNM

Reaction score
No, I Need to get 2.3.4...The software update part of the phone working. It says "SERVICE UNAVAILABLE. PLEASE TRY AGAIN WHEN SERVICE IS AVAILABLE"

Even when I go to Recovery via HBOOT, it starts downloading the Verizon Update, and then a Triangle with a ! comes up. I hit Vol Up and Power, and i get to Install from SD card, and it fails.

If you restored to 2.2.1, 2.3.3 is the update it is trying to download. 2.3.3 will download first. Then once on 2.3.3 your phone should find 2.3.4. If you are planning on rooting once you install the 2.3.3 update I linked, root it before updating to 2.3.4. Otherwise, once you install 2.3.3, you should be able to go check for update and the OTA will update to 2.3.4.