Rooted/O'Clocked Droid 1 users Chime In...

AtlPikMan

Reaction score
Ive read where the D1 is at the end of its life cycle and the D2 is on the horizon. I also read where the X may not be rootable.

If your Droid is overclocked can you tell me what your thoughts are on the X?

mazz0310

Reaction score
Overclocking made the Droid faster, but the Droid X is still faster than the Droid was overclocked.

Schimm

Reaction score
Don't have the X but I've read somewhere else here that the X is scoring around 1,100 on the Quandrant benchmark. I'm running a rooted Droid using the stock kernel at 800 mhz and that's about what I'm scoring. Those who DL custom kernels and overclock higher are scoring much better. So the X is performing, speed-wise, as one would with a conservatively overclocked (like me) Droid 1. And that's the impression I get when I played around with the X at a Verizon store a few days ago. I would think at 1 ghz the speed would be better but maybe Motoblur (or whatever that is) is creating additional drag. When froyo comes along expect speed to be much better.

wsbsteven

Reaction score
My Quandrant benchmark score running at 1GHz on froyo is 1173. I don't have my X yet to compare them. Since you have a Droid already, I wouldn't worry about getting a Droid 2 or X unless you feel you need the extra features.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Droid rooted since January. I run Sapphire 0.8.4 with P3Droid's 1.25Ghz kernel.

CAP201007091015-1.jpg

Schimm

Reaction score
My Quandrant benchmark score running at 1GHz on froyo is 984. I don't have my X yet to compare them. Since you have a Droid already, I wouldn't worry about getting a Droid 2 or X unless you feel you need the extra features.

What ROM are you using....I would think you should be scoring higher. I'm running the latest Bugless Beast.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Droid rooted since January. I run Sapphire 0.8.4 with P3Droid's 1.25Ghz kernel.

Wow - impressive speed! How is your phone temp at that speed? I'm running Simply Stunning 4.4 with Chevy's 1.1lVGhz kernel scoring 1294, but it seems to run pretty hot at times.

Temps are not an issue. In fact I just pulled the phone out of my pocket to check and it's sitting at 82F right now. Of course with the Froyo 2.2 roms and kernels we can no longer measure actual cpu temps (not yet anyway). So, that's battery temp. When I'm doing some heavy surfing of graphics intense pages, it will go up to 100-105F. It's become such a non-issue that I don't even run Temp Monitor anymore.

Droids are not all the same but mine absolutely loves P3Droid's low voltage kernels. I run his 125mhz - 1.25Ghz kernel and get great battery life and speed. YMMV!!

klumos

Reaction score
This phone seems faster then my D1 on simply stunning 4.4 O.C. to 1ghz. I scored a 1255 on the X without Froyo. Keep in mind most of those new roms are running a variant of Froyo which is apparently way faster then 2.1.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I havent gotten my X yet, hope someone will be home today to accept it....

If u are rooted, OC'ed running Froyo, using Launcher Pro or ADW, speed wise it should be on par or better than the X right now.

Some things I'm sure will make a difference:

The X has 512MB Ram vs. 256MB on the Droid
The X uses LPDDR2 memory vs. LPDDR1 on the Droid
The cpu is already running at 1Ghz on the X vs. OCing to 1 on the Droid.

The Droid is waaaay more customizable right now since it has root and u can run custom ROMs. If u have a rooted Droid, unless u want the hardware advantages of the X, the Droid can keep you happy if u thinking about the X.

The Ram and memory differences might start to show later on tho. And when I get mine, the only thing that will make me keep the X is if it has better reception.

If it doesnt, my Droid will keep me satisfied til LTE phones come.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This phone seems faster then my D1 on simply stunning 4.4 O.C. to 1ghz. I scored a 1255 on the X without Froyo. Keep in mind most of those new roms are running a variant of Froyo which is apparently way faster then 2.1.

When the X gets 2.2 those quadrant scores should jump up to 1700-1800. It's going to be a great, great phone. If it had a physical keyboard, I'd buy one today.

klumos

Reaction score
I thought the same thing about the physical keyboard. But, honestly the on screen keyboard is amazing. I have not tried swype yet but the motorola keyboard is simply awesome so easy to use.

GrillMouster

Reaction score
I don't find it useful to compare a Droid X running 2.1 to a a Droid running FroYo and overclocked to 1.25 Ghz. Remember that Froyo gave huge boosts in quadrant scores to all the phones running it, so we can exepct much super-higher scores when the X gets FroYo in August. Also, since the X operates natively at 1Ghz, it might be more stable, run cooler, and consume less battery than an overclocked Droid.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Really, it isnt good to compare any rooted, OCed phone to a stock one. I hated when ppl did that with the Droid and the Inc.

But that shows how good the X is, to match the speed of the X, u have to OC and run Froyo...lol

shmoo

Reaction score
Really, it isnt good to compare any rooted, OCed phone to a stock one. I hated when ppl did that with the Droid and the Inc.

But that shows how good the X is, to match the speed of the X, u have to OC and run Froyo...lol

Well of course you have to OC and run Froyo. The D1 runs at 550mhz stock. Without it the X would walk all over our beloved little Droids. I think that there's something to be said about the hardware were using right now.