Rooted Droid 3 now update failure

indee2025

Reaction score
I got the Droid 3 recently and it had 5.5959.XT862.Verizon.en.US

I rooted right away and deleted all the bloatware (I know some like to freeze bloatware rather than delete but I clean up a lot more system files out of the system than you can do with just freezing)

Tonight I got a OTA for version 5.6.890 and when I installed it after download it rebooted looked fine then said "Install Failed!"

I'm okay with this part as I know the OTA update saw no bloatware and said EEK problem GACK and failed..my concern is that after a few hours or a day I will get that OTA message to download and install the update and the cycle will rinse & repeat for the life of the device....any truth to this?

Last edited:

lotzakritters

Reaction score
I got the Droid 3 recently and it had 5.5959.XT862.Verizon.en.US

I rooted right away and deleted all the bloatware (I know some like to freeze bloatware rather than delete but I clean up a lot more system files out of the system than you can do with just freezing)

Tonight I got a OTA for version 5.6.890 and when I installed it after download it rebooted looked fine then said "Install Failed!"

I'm okay with this part as I know the OTA update saw no bloatware and said EEK problem GACK and failed..my concern is that after a few hours or a day I will get that OTA message to download and install the update and the cycle will rinse & repeat for the life of the device....any truth to this?

I saw on one of the forums, that the leak testers will only get one chance, not sure if that is true or not. Sorry, forgot what forum that was. Hopefully that isn't true for you. Good luck

Sent from my DROID3

OP
indee2025

indee2025

Reaction score
I saw on one of the forums, that the leak testers will only get one chance, not sure if that is true or not. Sorry, forgot what forum that was. Hopefully that isn't true for you. Good luck

Sent from my DROID3

Well I don't know, if I go to system updates and check to see if there's something there it brings up the opportunity to download 5.6.890 as much as I want....I'm really not caring about the update as much as I'm afraid of an OTA loop of asking me 3 times a day and attempting to do it (both download & install have countdown timers)

lotzakritters

Reaction score
Well I don't know, if I go to system updates and check to see if there's something there it brings up the opportunity to download 5.6.890 as much as I want....I'm really not caring about the update as much as I'm afraid of an OTA loop of asking me 3 times a day and attempting to do it (both download & install have countdown timers)

It looks to be the same one that leaked awhile ago. You can just load that one up, it you can't get it to work right. I'm sure the asking will stop if you do. That's what I have on and still rooted, with out any problems.

Sent from my DROID3

DeadDroid3

Reaction score
No. reinstall bloatware and you should be fine. It will unroot you but you can use the one click root again.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

trebor_edwards

Reaction score
does any one have an easier way to find bloatware to install, or better instructions to flash?

xyvyx

Reaction score
let's see

curious how much this update will improve things. In a nutshell, when I first got my D3, I was ready to return it within 48 hours... it crashed doing lots of routine things (camera, mid-call, unable to answer, etc..). After I cleared all my imported wifi settings, then removed a bit of bloatware, it's been performing GREAT. ie: it's been really fast and battery life has been much better. By better, I mean I got 28 hours out of it before it got down to the 20% remaining level.

So I had to copy the bloat back before this update would install (I'd just moved a handful of APKs to my SDcard), but it worked smoothly after I put everything back. Then I was able to move/disable them again and so far, it's behaving just fine.

The APKs I moved include:
Blockbuster
Flickr authenticator
LastFM Authenticator
Myspace Authenticator
Orkut Authenticator
Skyrock Authenticator
Yahoo Mail Authenticator
NFF Mobile
V Cast Media Manager
Slacker
Apps (vcast.apk)
V Cast Tones
V Cast Music
V Cast Videos
VZ Navigator
Yahoo Contacts
ZumoCast

dancingDroid.gif

DELUXDroid

Reaction score
What if your bloat is all just frozen? I've frozen stuff with Titanium, not deleted anything? Is it safe to do the update?

darkmatter

Reaction score
I froze a lotof stuff. didn't unfreeze, didn't unroot, and update went through just fine...but that could be just me.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

wildride89

Reaction score
Yeah I didn't unfreeze anything and my update went fine. I just haven't been able to regain root

akhi216

Reaction score
curious how much this update will improve things. In a nutshell, when I first got my D3, I was ready to return it within 48 hours... it crashed doing lots of routine things (camera, mid-call, unable to answer, etc..). After I cleared all my imported wifi settings, then removed a bit of bloatware, it's been performing GREAT. ie: it's been really fast and battery life has been much better. By better, I mean I got 28 hours out of it before it got down to the 20% remaining level.

So I had to copy the bloat back before this update would install (I'd just moved a handful of APKs to my SDcard), but it worked smoothly after I put everything back. Then I was able to move/disable them again and so far, it's behaving just fine.

The APKs I moved include:
Blockbuster
Flickr authenticator
LastFM Authenticator
Myspace Authenticator
Orkut Authenticator
Skyrock Authenticator
Yahoo Mail Authenticator
NFF Mobile
V Cast Media Manager
Slacker
Apps (vcast.apk)
V Cast Tones
V Cast Music
V Cast Videos
VZ Navigator
Yahoo Contacts
ZumoCast

dancingDroid.gif

NFL Mobile does NOT equal bloatware.

Sorry but I had to add that.

xyvyx

Reaction score
I guess freezing leaves the files intact (but changes their permissions/status? dunno), so that keeps the update script happy. I had no problems re-rooting after the update, though...

xyvyx

Reaction score
heh.. NFF? oops..
I don't know what kind of resources the ~5MB NFL APK consumed, but I didn't use or want it, so I consider it bloatware... others can say the same about the yahoo and other mail connectors. A rose in a tulip garden is still a weed :)

Last edited: