Rooted, can't remove cityid app

pmas

Reaction score
So after root, i delete cityid with root explorer after mount. But even though it deletes, it's still there.
Anyone figure out how to get rid of cityid?

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So after root, i delete cityid with root explorer after mount. But even though it deletes, it's still there.
Anyone figure out how to get rid of cityid?
to delete anything for the /system as of right now you have to get adb recovery again and push the payload all over again. no way around this at the moment. if your not in to much of a rush the nand will cracked soon so id wait for that

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i didnt wait. peep, city id and foot prints as long as ther widgets are gone... hated that crap

sdorn

Reaction score
i didnt wait. peep, city id and foot prints as long as ther widgets are gone... hated that crap

Care to share how you did it?

As mentioned above, you have to get back into adb while in recovery and push the payload-update.zip file again. The only way to permanently remove files from /system is while in recovery.

skidot

Reaction score
For the noobs like me

Could someone please explain or post a link to how one would enter this recovery to delete these annoyances like city id as described above? Forgive me but I am sure novices like myself will benefit a great deal.

Thanks!

SLOflatlander

Reaction score
that took me a long time to get, but basically you need to download the sdk folder from the internet somewhere. then in command prompt, you need to navigate to the tools folder inside the sdk folder. then you hook up the phone (should be in recovery) go into partitions and mount the /system. then in command prompt run the command adb shell and you should be in. im on a mac so i had to install fastboot into the tools folder and add ./ to the adb shell command, im not sure if fastboot is necessary on windows.

dmaly88

Reaction score
Why is everyone wanting to delete cityid? I kinda like it shows what city im calling or a number i dont have shows where its coming from. Whats so bad about it?

skidot

Reaction score
I for one, don't like to have apps on my phone that I don't use, or for that matter want on it, any more than I like to keep programs on my PC that I don't use.

Even if the space taken up in storage is minimal, it is just another icon that causes clutter that I would gladly do without.

Also the mere fact that these programs/apps cannot simply be removed, and that the services are "premium" upsets me (minimally). I feel that my device that costs me x amount of money to buy and use shouldn't be hampered by what in essence is just an advertisement to use something that I do not want.

dmaly88

Reaction score
I have never had to purchase cityid it just came on the phone. Unless im in some sort of trial period i dont know about.

atthehop

Reaction score
Why is everyone wanting to delete cityid? I kinda like it shows what city im calling or a number i dont have shows where its coming from. Whats so bad about it?

I just ignore programs that cannot be easily removed and move on the using the programs I like. The effort is not worth in IMO.

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have never had to purchase cityid it just came on the phone. Unless im in some sort of trial period i dont know about.

It has a 30 day trial period. I think it's that long. Eventually it'll keep asking you for money.

cooksalot

Reaction score
It's a 15 day trial, and when that's gone expect it to mess with your phone till you give and subscribe or get rid of it.

DroidRoks

Reaction score
City ID sucks

This is the worse app ever. It has locked up on my Droid X, if force closes. This is a really crap app.

The real problem is I CAN'T GET RID OF IT!!!

City ID should be avoided. It fails miserably. Most apps are free. This apps costs $1.99 A MONTH. What a joke.