Rooted 2.1 To The New 2.2 Update (froyo)...

Dedic761

Reaction score
Ive read several threads on here on how to go from rooted 2.1 to rooted 2.2, and honestly im confused.

Can someone with experience with this tell us how to do this the correct way?

I do not want to reset my phone back to stock and then update to 2.2 then reroot if i dont have to. I've read you can download the bugless beast rom for 2.1 then upgrade it to the new 2.2 rom and thats it, is this correct?

I am assuming most of us newbies who have 2.1 rooted have only done this to gain wifi access. I am running rom manager with the clockworkmod recovery. Everything else on my phone is stock, other than the p3 kernels.

Thanks for anyhelp. Im sure there is a lot of "newbies" who can relate to this thread.

Thanks, Nick

jpv027

Reaction score
Is there anyway to update to the official 2.2 without using a custom rom? Thanks

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Is there anyway to update to the official 2.2 without using a custom rom? Thanks

What is your goal here, rooted 2.2 or unrooted 2.2? You can get both. Also, what do you have on your phone now, 2.1 I assume but are you rooted?

jpv027

Reaction score
I currently have rooted 2.1 and want to go to rooted 2.2.

loraindave

Reaction score
I do not understand what rooted means. Is it better then the way the phone comes? Is there better features? Please explain to me what rooted is all about. Thank you.

jpv027

Reaction score
Rooting is like jailbreaking an iphone. It allows you to load custom roms and also allows you to do wifi tethering.

jpv027

Reaction score
I would like to not have to unroot and reroot but I would prefer start with the official 2.2. I downloaded a version in june but it didnt seem to run as well as my 2.1 so I went back

loraindave

Reaction score
Sorry. Guess I am dumb. I sill dont get it. If your root your phone what does it do different? Does it run better? Do you do more or better things with it? Sorry for being dumb.

OP
Dedic761

Dedic761

Reaction score
Download the new froyo zip file from peteralfronso and then put it on your sd card, rename it as update.zip. Boot your phone into safe mode, make a nandroid backup, then install the update.zip file. Then download easyroot. Thats all i did pretty much. Prior i had rooted 2.1 with clockworkmod (rom manager).

nick

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Download the new froyo zip file from peteralfronso and then put it on your sd card, rename it as update.zip. Boot your phone into safe mode, make a nandroid backup, then install the update.zip file. Then download easyroot. Thats all i did pretty much. Prior i had rooted 2.1 with clockworkmod (rom manager).

nick

That doesn't give you the same 2.2 that is being issued from Verizon. Basically the official version but it doesn't take away your root. In my link on the previous page Jrummy describes how he did it.

techRob

Reaction score
Sorry. Guess I am dumb. I sill dont get it. If your root your phone what does it do different? Does it run better? Do you do more or better things with it? Sorry for being dumb.

There's a thread about "This is what it means to be root" to put it mildly ;) ...check that thread out, it should answer your questions (i'd assume...never read it myself) :)

Basically, it opens pandoras box, sorta...it allows various customizations to take place, it allows the ability to use vpn, overclock, and there really is a plethora of things :) ....sometimes i wonder if i really want / need to be root though.