pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Sele
user-online.png

RS Team Leader

UNROOT Safety OFF

[RS Guide] How Return to Stock from Revolutionary Root
These are unrooting instructions for those of you who rooted your phones via the Revolutionary method of rooting. One of the unique things about the Revolutionary rooting method is that it installs a protected S-OFF bootloader. This is a good thing in many respects because it prevents the loss of root when flashing RUUs or updating. However, it also adds an additional layer of complexity to unrooting your phone.

The below process is going to take you through three steps. The first will be to download and install the files needed to flash a unprotected bootloader. The next step will actually flash this unprotected bootloader. And the final step will be exactly the same as the older unroot method.

Credits:
shadowmite, scotty85, jcase

Part I - Setting up the files on your computer
If you rooted your phone on the same computer, you should already have the HTC Drivers installed. If not, then re-download them from the Revolutionary website.

NOTE: Make sure you don't have any PG05IMG.ZIP files on your SD card. If so, rename or remove them.

The first thing you need to do is download THIS file. When prompted choose save and choose your desktop as the location to save the file.

When download is complete, double click “tbolt” to open file.

The next window that opens will show the contents of the zip file. At the top of the window you should see an option to “Extract all files” click this.

The next window will show the path to extract to, it should read something like “C:UsersYour user nameDesktoptbolt” click Extract to extract the files to your desktop.

You should now have a folder on your desktop labeled tbolt. Click on your start button and select Computer in the right hand window pane. This should open a window showing all of your disks on your computer. Now drag the “tbolt” folder (the one without the zipper) and drop it on your drive C: This will move the folder to the root directory of your hard drive.

You may now delete (drag to the trashcan) the tbolt folder with the zipper.

Part II - Flashing the Unprotected Bootloader (read carefully)
This stage involves a small risk of bricking your phone. Please ensure you follow these steps exactly. ALWAYS START WITH A FULL BATTERY.

Go to your windows button, type COMMAND in the search box.
In the Command Prompt window that opens Copy/Paste the following commands:
DO NOT copy/paste the part that says <press enter>, this is just so that you know it's a new line.

Code:

cd c:tbolt <press enter>md5sums hbooteng.nb0 <press enter>
**IMPORTANT**
The following checksum MUST display in the command prompt window. If it does not DO NOT PROCEED. Instead, redownload the files needed for your computer in Step I.
6991368ee2deaf182048a3ed9d3c0fcb

If that MD5 matches, go ahead and Copy/Paste the following in the command prompt window:

Code:

adb devices <press enter>
You should should get a response that says List of devices attached. Make sure the next line has a serial number with device listed after that. If you don’t see your device attached then something is wrong and you should not proceed.

Code:

adb reboot bootloader <press enter>
Your phone will reboot into HBOOT. Do not power off your phone and type the following steps in the command prompt:

Code:

fastboot devices <press enter>
You should should get a response that says List of devices attached. Make sure the next line has a serial number with device listed after that. If you don’t see your device attached then something is wrong and you should not proceed.

Code:

fastboot oem mw 8d08ac54 1 31302E30 <press enter>fastboot flash hboot hbooteng.nb0 <press enter>
You should see a response that says sending OKAY and then writing OKAY. If it doesn't write correctly, DO NOT TURN YOUR PHONE OFF, download an IRC client and seek help at #thunderbolt on irc.andirc.net

If it does flash correctly, use the volume rocker to select reboot and then proceed to the next step.

Part III - Unrooting your phone back to stock
Your phone is still rooted, however, now you have an unprotected S-OFF bootloader installed on your phone and you can now unroot by flashing two PG05IMG.zip files through HBOOT to return to stock.

Follow the directions in the following thread to return your phone to a stock S-ON device:
How to Restore to Stock for Rooted and Non-Rooted Users

Once you have completed the instructions from the above thread, you will be able to update your device to the latest official release by checking for new updates within the Software Update menu on your device.

I would like to thank the entire Thunderbolt Rescue Squad Team for their work on this guide.

Return to Safety ON

How to Restore to Stock for Rooted and Non-Rooted Users
Notice: The following information was posted at XDA by jcase. These instructions are being reposted here in their entirety with his permission. All credit belongs to jcase for any information contained in this post. It is being posted simply to make it easier for our members to access the information.

[HOWTO] Restore to stock for root users and non-root users UPDATED 5/17/2011

Stop, listen. Follow my directions, if you fail to follow directions I will no longer help you. Don't PM me and ask. If you screw up ask in the thread.

Rooted Users (Non - Root Users scroll down below):

MR1 RUU
Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!
PG05IMG_MR1_no_hboot.zip - c64b4367086fff4f51ec3d5d766a0456

Bootloader (FLASH THIS LAST) FLASHING THIS WITHOUT SUCESSFULLY FLASHING THE ABOVE FILE WILL CAUSE A SECURITY WARNING
Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!
abda920f3e159fb05c00d8c54a5b8768 - PG05IMG_hboot_1.4.0000.zip

Flash the above PG05IMG_MR1_no_hboot.zip to restore everything to stock + OTA BUT still will have the s-off bootloader.
Rename PG05IMG_MR1_no_hboot.zip as PG05IMG.zip, and flash through hboot (like in the root guide).

To restore the bootloader, rename PG05IMG_hboot_1.4.0000.zip as PG05IMG.zip and flash through the bootloader.DO NOT FLASH THIS unless you are absolutely sure PG05IMG_MR1_no_hboot.zip flashed to your device, without issue.

Now you are done, enjoy. If you screwed up, and got a security warning contact me, don't stress. Then again, don't screw up.

Non root users wanting to return to 1.12.605.6 (Stock, pre OTA) can continue below:

NOT FOR ROOT USERS

Taken from AndroidPolice: [Tutorial] How To "Un-Root" The HTC ThunderBolt And Return It To Stock. Please check the site out.

One of the most popular questions about rooting the ThunderBolt is how to undo the process and return to stock, which renews your eligibility for customer support. Well, here you go:

Instructions:
Please read the whole tutorial first, and pay attention to every detail. Note that your battery needs to be charged to at least 40% at the beginning of the process, and remember to check the MD5 sums of all downloaded files before diving in. As always, neither Android Police nor Team AndIRC are responsible for any damage this may cause to your phone, and, needless to say, returning to stock means you will no longer be able to use root apps like ShootMe and Titanium Backup.

First, download the following files:

Stock firmware (MD5 sum: 7141f5620f6128af77d50587e341f4b0)
exploits.zip (MD5 sum: 3b359efd76aac456ba7fb0d6972de3af)

Next, push exploits.zip and misc.img.

Code:
adb push misc.img /data/local/ adb push busybox /data/local/ adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/busybox
To gain root and flash misc.img:

Code:
adb shell su /data/local/busybox md5sum /data/local/misc.img
If the output is anything other than "c88dd947eb3b36eec90503a3525ae0de," stop and start over again.

Now let’s write misc.img:

Code:
dd if=/data/local/misc.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17
Rename "PG05IMG_Mecha_VERIZON_WWE_1.12.605.6_Radio_1. 16.0 0.0223r_NV_8k_1.41_9k_1.64_
release_174685_signed.zip" to "PG05IMG.zip" before placing it on your SD card.
Finally, reboot into bootloader mode by entering the following command. Allow the stock firmware to flash.

Code:
adb reboot bootloader
You’re done – your phone should now be stock, S-ON.

I would like to Thank jcase for allowing us to post this information here for our members.

Last edited:

James9109

Reaction score
Ok so i am in the process of rooting right now. Here is what im using to root.

http://www.thunderboltforums.com/for...data-loss.html

Heres the vid im going to.

[video=youtube;-UK_CiB2SYk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UK_CiB2SYk&amp;feature=player_embedded[/video]

Im at the point 6:54 in the video, heres my problem.

I have that screen with s-off, so i push the power button to go to fastboot to go to recovery but it wont let me scroll to recovery cause it pops up Parsing.. [SD ZIP] [1] BOOTLOADER and says do you want to update...... im confused how to get it to go to recovery instead of this dumb update... any ideas? :s

TDubKong

Reaction score
Ok so i am in the process of rooting right now. Here is what im using to root.

http://www.thunderboltforums.com/for...data-loss.html

Heres the vid im going to.

[video=youtube;-UK_CiB2SYk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UK_CiB2SYk&amp;feature=player_embedded[/video]

Im at the point 6:54 in the video, heres my problem.

I have that screen with s-off, so i push the power button to go to fastboot to go to recovery but it wont let me scroll to recovery cause it pops up Parsing.. [SD ZIP] [1] BOOTLOADER and says do you want to update...... im confused how to get it to go to recovery instead of this dumb update... any ideas? :s
sounds like you have a file on your sdcard named PG05IMG. if you do then delete it and you should be ok. at least youre getting that far. ive tried everything i can think of and still cant even get my computer to recognize my phone

mpeg3s

Reaction score
Didn't get instructions here first

Update:

Problem solved. I started over with instructions from another site. Looks good now!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I
still have the same REV bootloader with S-Off. Need to Stock bootloader and S-ON .

PG05IMG_MR1_no_hboot.zip - c64b4367086fff4f51ec3d5d766a0456 = NOW Done TP 8 Bypassed

HELP!

CAN"NT RETURN TO STOCK BOOTLOADER with S-ON from Revoltionary

Last edited:

gatesjunior

Reaction score
Go to the market and download HTC Thunderbolt Restore and it will put you completely back to the latest Gingerbread, radio, bootloader, recovery ,etc... One click and sit back and let it happen.

Update:

Problem solved. I started over with instructions from another site. Looks good now!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I
still have the same REV bootloader with S-Off. Need to Stock bootloader and S-ON .

PG05IMG_MR1_no_hboot.zip - c64b4367086fff4f51ec3d5d766a0456 = NOW Done TP 8 Bypassed

HELP!

CAN"NT RETURN TO STOCK BOOTLOADER with S-ON from Revoltionary

strathmore9

Reaction score
Wow

Go to the market and download HTC Thunderbolt Restore and it will put you completely back to the latest Gingerbread, radio, bootloader, recovery ,etc... One click and sit back and let it happen.

This really hit the spot, Bud! Wish I had found it sooner before wasting so many hours trying to get ADB reinstalled on a restored drive. Much appreciated!

jpedi001

Reaction score
i followed the same video above and everything went smooth up until it tells me to put the su file on the sd card. i copy and paste it and it shows as being in there but when i unmount and try to install from the phone it wont show up. whats the deal?

nghoops

Reaction score
I rooted but now cannot connect to network. No 3g, 4g, nothing. Just a 'X' where the bars are. Any advice? Thanks.

GMan.

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[edit] I figured it out.. Had to downgrade the RUU and run the Revolutionary Root tool again.

Last edited:

bjb1959

Reaction score
I have an unlocked htc thunderbolt with the latest ota update. Is there a process yet to root using revolution that does not include downgrading? if not, is there a good howto out there that I could follow. on my droidx I just used zroot and then clockwork recovery to backup/restore or install roms so the thunderbolt is a bit more complex and I could use a good step by step.

crapple_h8er

Reaction score

tried this on my buddies TB today that I rooted for him a few months ago, and it seemed to have worked. I'm going to let him "test" it for a week and then I'm going to use it myself :D

EBryanRJr

Reaction score
I used this method to unroot my phone and now I want to reroot. I am still S-Off and I am trying to root with my Mac. I don't understand what the issue is, something to do with read only permissions. here is the line.

Thanks for your help.

Code:
--- STARTING ----
--- WAITING FOR DEVICE
--- cleaning
rm failed for *, No such file or directory
--- pushing zergRush"
429 KB/s (23060 bytes in 0.052s)
--- correcting permissions
--- executing zergRush

[**] Zerg rush - Android 2.2/2.3 local root
[**] (C) 2011 Revolutionary. All rights reserved.

[**] Parts of code from Gingerbreak, (C) 2010-2011 The Android Exploid Crew.

[+] Found a GingerBread ! 0x00000118
[*] Scooting ...
[*] Sending 149 zerglings ...
[*] Sending 189 zerglings ...
[-] Hellions with BLUE flames !
--- WAITING FOR DEVICE TO RECONNECT
if it gets stuck over here for a long time then try:
   disconnect usb cable and reconnect it
   toggle "USB DEBUGGING" (first disable it then enable it)
--- DEVICE FOUND
--- pushing busybox
1958 KB/s (1075144 bytes in 0.536s)
--- remounting /system
mount: permission denied (are you root?)
--- copying busybox to /system/xbin/
/system/xbin/busybox: cannot open for write: Read-only file system
--- correcting ownership
Unable to chmod /system/xbin/busybox: No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /system/xbin/busybox: No such file or directory
--- installing busybox
/system/xbin/busybox: not found
--- pushing SU binary
failed to copy 'files/su' to '/system/bin/su': Read-only file system
--- correcting ownership
Unable to chmod /system/bin/su: No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /system/bin/su: No such file or directory
--- correcting symlinks
rm failed for /system/xbin/su, Read-only file system
link failed Read-only file system
--- pushing Superuser app
failed to copy 'files/Superuser.apk' to '/system/app/./Superuser.apk': Read-only file system
--- cleaning
--- rebooting
ALL DONE!!!

EBryanRJr

Reaction score
It's been a while and I can't remember how to flash CWM. My root checker says I am not rooted.