Root and ROM without unlocking bootloader?

lm2

Reaction score
Hi, I've been reading forums all day and I still have what seem a silly question. I'm coming from Droid Bionic where one can root and install custom ROMS without unlocking the bootloader. Is that the case with the galaxy s3 too?

My plan--just got s3 today--was to root, then install TWRP via goo manager, then install Hyperdrive. I *think* this can be done without the additional step of unlocking bootloader (with something like EZ-Unlock). Is that right?

Also, the aurora installer that comes with hyperdrive takes care of kernel flashing too, yes?

Thank you!

clueless77

Reaction score
Hi, I've been reading forums all day and I still have what seem a silly question. I'm coming from Droid Bionic where one can root and install custom ROMS without unlocking the bootloader. Is that the case with the galaxy s3 too?

My plan--just got s3 today--was to root, then install TWRP via goo manager, then install Hyperdrive. I *think* this can be done without the additional step of unlocking bootloader (with something like EZ-Unlock). Is that right?

Also, the aurora installer that comes with hyperdrive takes care of kernel flashing too, yes?

Thank you!
np i am pretty sure that to run a custom ROM you will need to unlock boot loader. if you google casual root, or check on rootzwiki fo it, its a pretty simple method to root, unlock, and also flashes TWPR for you. works like a charm just read the instructions. yes when you flash a ROM with the aroma installer it will flash the kernel and there are usually options for different kernels.

OP
L

lm2

Reaction score
I am already rooted. What is the recommended method to now unlock the bootloader?

OP
L

lm2

Reaction score
Found my answer: download ez-unlock 1.2. Then goomanager, then TWRP, then Hyperdrive rls15. Then AWESOME.