Root and 2.2 Update

csantoro85

Reaction score
If we have rooted our phone while running the 2.1 update, do we need to un-root it before we upgrade to the Froyo 2.2 update whenever it rolls out?

1694kyle

Reaction score
You'll prob just lose root if you do nothing. I'd say get a one-click root app so you can easily root or unroot. 2.2 is rootable so there's not much to worry about.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You'll prob just lose root if you do nothing. I'd say get a one-click root app so you can easily root or unroot. 2.2 is rootable so there's not much to worry about.

agreed. i think 2.2 will just cause you to lose root

916dave

Reaction score

I've read that after rooting 2.1 you dont get the ota updates? Is this true, or if I root my 2.1 dx I'll still get the 2.2 update whenever verizon decides to roll it out?

Also, can anyone recommend any solid one click root apps?

Thanks!

bitter

Reaction score
Not true. This is mostly true if you install a custom rom, but just rooting will not disable the OTA.

Also, use Universal Androot or Droidx Root

1694kyle

Reaction score
Yeah you'll still get the updates. The worry is that modified files could "disable" your phone, but we have sbf, an we can do whatever we want and not worry.

I use easyroot. I like it because it's on the phone and you can download all the stuff you need from the program. Very user friendly.

916dave

Reaction score
Not true. This is mostly true if you install a custom rom, but just rooting will not disable the OTA.

Much thanks.

I looked on the android market for both Universal Androot and Droidx Root and nothing was found. should I be looking somewhere else?

916dave

Reaction score
Yeah you'll still get the updates. The worry is that modified files could "disable" your phone, but we have sbf, an we can do whatever we want and not worry.

I use easyroot. I like it because it's on the phone and you can download all the stuff you need from the program. Very user friendly.

The reviews seem off, but everywhere else seems to like this app, maybe I'll give it a try.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Much thanks.

I looked on the android market for both Universal Androot and Droidx Root and nothing was found. should I be looking somewhere else?

They aren't really "legal" so they aren't in the market. Do a search on these forums and you will find a link, for sure.