Rom noob help

dgkamui

Reaction score
I have a Droid X, used Z4root to root it, and have barely played with all the options rooting has opened up, lol. I've been working on finding places to download apps besides the Market, since some of them are paid and aren't worth dropping cash on, and found a few wifi tethers to play around with, although I still can't find the fastest and most reliable method of tethering my cell phone internet to my pc for downloads and browsing lol. But I recently came across another option for root, which deals with ROMS, but im new to this as well. I don't know which app or method is best to install a custom ROM, what to use to backup my phone beforehand in case of a problem or if I just want my phone back how it was before the flashing, or what else I may need to have or know for going about this. I don't even know which ROM or theme is best to use, i keep seeing alot of good things about the rooted gingerbread 2.3 ROM, but is this the best and most stable ROM out there? I guess I need the basics of backing my phone up completely, installing a ROM, which ROM would be best to install, and whatever else I'm forgetting, and what other options may be available after installing a new ROM. Quite a mouthful, but surely someone on here has the knowledge I need. Thank you.

izzo540

Reaction score
There are links all over the forum in the hacking section as well as the roms section as to how install ROMS and such. In simple though rooting is the simplest part.. Once you are rooted you can install Droid 2 Bootstrapper, that will allow you to grant an app super user permissions and will hijack the boot process and bring you to Clock Work Mod, which has a feature to do a nandroid backup and backup your current android operating system.. after you backup your android OS.. you can 'install from a zip on SD card' which would be the compiled rom file on the forum that you find.. The GB rooted zip can be found around here and the reason it is so stable is because its supposed to be the next default android operating system to reach the android market. People around here will help but there are definitely pointers everywhere.. hit me up if you need help