[ROM] MIUI.us-Sholes-1.8.26.0 [DEV]

magiman7

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
MIUI.us-Sholes-1.8.26.0
Development Build

This build is MOSTLY STABLE BUT IN DEVELOPMENT

This build was ported to the droid by MagiMan7 and TP4Bama, translations to english were done by MIUI.us

All of the MIUI.us build are now available on Rom Manager under MIUI.us which will allow automatic notification of future builds

Follow us on twitter for real time updates!
@magiman7 / @tp4bama

If this is your first time trying MIUI, read the MIUI Manual (credit The Batman) to become familiar with the interface and many of the hidden options.

Code:
#include <std-disclaimer>

/*Anything you do to your phone is solely your responsibilty, you choose
 to modify your phone. This rom has been marked BETA by the developer,
 however should anything happen to your phone neither of the developers
 "MagiMan7 and/or Tp4bama" nor MIUI.us nor MIUI.com developers are liable 
 in anyway.*/

KNOWN ISSUES:

• Apps dont automatically load on fresh install, use the Miui Backup app to backup /restore apps
  • If you have having launcher force closes, switch back to the stock theme to verify the theme is not causing the issue.
  • Facebook will sync ALL contacts
  • Instead of *228 call *228+ (hold 0 for + sign)

POST BUGS HERE IN THIS THREAD.

MIUI CHANGELOG: Here

Local changes by US:

• Upgraded Motorola Proprietary files to FRG83G (Prevents VZW OTA update from downloading)
  • Stock kernel set to ondemand governor with min/max frequencies of 125/800
  • Changed the default VM Heap to 40mb
  • Changed SD Card buffer to 2048 for speed boost (credit brainmaster)
  • Adjusted multiple memomory configurations - Between Multitasking and Balanced 3 with Hard to Kill Launcher from V6 Supercharge script (credit zeppelinrox)
  • Added 4-way Power mod (Miui.us)
  • Added all ringetones from CM7 and Pete's Stock GPA
  • Added vim, nano, bash, terminal mods, fix permissions script (CyanogenMod 7)
  • Added Terminal Emulator from CyanogenMod 7
  • Added sysrw and sysro scripts to remount system partition with write or read only access
  • Added lockapp / unlockapp scripts to lock an app in memory (scripts by MagiMan7, idea from zeppelinrox)
  • Added Old 3D Gallery
  • Removed 3G Hotspot due to it not working
  • Removed ProTips due to it being useless
  • Added Rom Manager for future automatic updates (installed to /data for easier upgrades)
  • Added Google Apps: Car Home, GenieWidget to system apps (not available from the market)
  • Added Google Apps: Mail, Maps, Voice, Google Search, Youtube, Voice Search to data partition (can be easily uninstalled or updated)
  • Added Stock Motorola Droid QuickOffice in data partition (can be easily uninstalled)
  • Added some build.prop tweaks (credit metalspring for collection from varioius sources)
  • Updated Busybox to 1.18.0 (credit imoseyon for cron setup script)
  • Setup cron to clear unused caches and restart compache everyday at 2 am (can be changed)
  • ERI Mod has been incorporated into the ROM, no need to flash another zip to remove network name. If you prefer seeing network name, sorry
  • Changed some default settings (disable traffic monitoring, enable non-market apps, enable power monitoring, etc)
  • MMS Video Fixed!!! (Credit Epicardium at MIUI.us Forums for original find)
  • Native support for a2sd+ as long as you have propery formated sdcard (credit DarkTremor)
  • Option to use swap file in free space on /cache (credit idea TreyMotes)
  • Added native OTA from MIUI.us (can upgrade each week from native updater app)
  • Updated Android Market to 3.1.3
  • Added swap options script (default set to none, see details below)

INSTALLATION (only if currently running version 1.8.19 or later with CWM or RZR Recovery)

1. NANDROID BACKUP!
  2. Run Updater app (Thats it!)
  3. If apps do not show up after initial flash, rebooting should make them reappear
  4. If you run into problems, lots of FC, reinstall with wiping data / factory reset

INSTALLATION (wiping data)

1. Backup apps with MIUI backup if you are on a previous GB release (1.4.8 or later)
  2. NANDROID BACKUP!
  3. Wipe Data/factory reset
  4. Flash this rom
  5. If apps do not show up after initial flash, rebooting should make them reappear
  6. Restore apps/data with Miui backup
  7. If you use Google to back up your contacts, restoring contacts with Miui Backup could result in duplicate entries
  8. Using Titanium Backup to backup and restore apps/data has reportedly caused FCs with certain apps
  9. [DO NOT TRY TO RESTORE SYSTEM DATA FROM ANY ROM INCLUDING MIUI BELOW 1.4.8!!!!!!! or you will get force closes...] You have been warned.

Info on the MIUI Stats included in MIUI.us builds 1.7.15 and later
Please check out what they are and how we use them Here

img.php

MIUI.us Sholes 1.8.26.0 Here
md5: f2e55a4d132187dc2c3101449f6d5d6c

Have Rom Manager automatically download zip on your phone (suggest downloading on wifi)
You must enable Web Connect in Rom Manager on your phone to enable this option and click Here

Themes available HERE

Themers: Excellent guide on creating MIUI themes HERE

CRON OPTIONS
The set of cron tasks is editable in the /data/cron/root file. The root file lists all of the commands scheduled to run and the scheduled time. The file can be edited to add tasks or change the preset ones of flushing caches. All tasks in this file will be run as root (superuser privileges). The default cron tasks has a command commented out to cause the phone to do a soft reboot everyday at 2:45 am. This may help keep phone feeling snappy each morning. Remove '#' to have this run everyday

LOCKAPP / UNLOCKAPP INFO
Run lockapp script in terminal or from gscript. Both scripts are located in /system/xbin. Both scripts take a single argument, the process name. For example the Miui Music player has the process name com.miui.player. You can find process names for most installed apps under /data/app (just drop the -1.apk from the name listing).

To lock an app in memory you run lockapp PROCESS. For example, to lock the Miui Music player into memory, run 'lockapp com.miui.player' As a warning, Do not lock more than 1 app in memory. To lock an app in memory, the app has to be running. If the process is not running, the script will inform you.

Once an app is locked into memory, the only way to remove it from memory is to kill the process. The unlockapp does extactly that. It is run with the same arguement, unlockapp PROCESS. If you wanted to unlock the Miui Music player from memory, run 'unlockapp com.miui.player' This will kill the app you are unlocking from memory. If you want it to run the background unlocked, you will have to re-run the app.

A2SD+ INFO
Once you have your sdcard formated for a2sd (Create a 2nd partition of type ext3 using Rom Manger or favorite patition manager), you can run command a2sd from terminal to setup a2sd+

SWAP OPTIONS
There is an included script called swap located in /system/bin you can run from terminal, adb shell, or gscript. The script takes a single arguement defining what type of swap setup you want. Options are file, compcache, both, none. The script will immediately initiate the swap system chosen as well as update boot up and cron files to keep the selection permenent. So whatever you select will persist after a reboot. To run the command, just enter 'swap OPTION'. So if you want to switch from no swap (default on new instal) to swap file, type 'swap file' and everything is adjusted for you. After 1.8.26, using ota to update will not over write your settings for swap

Last edited:

chewy74

Reaction score
wow, friday afternoon. sweet...now i dont have to workdancedroid

pcpimp

Reaction score
Can I ask a dumb question? I am new to MIUI but is this different than the one that gets posted at miui.us?

chewy74

Reaction score
deleted by me.

Yes, this build the the miui.us build. There is also the miuiandroid.com build, but that isn't posted on droidforums.

Last edited:
OP
magiman7

magiman7

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Correction needed, the download link says 1.8.19, needs to be 1.8.26. just saying lol

Yep, somehow in the copy and past, the version and md5sum didn't get updated. Thanks for the heads up, its been changed. The link should be good though.

RedRumy3

Reaction score
Everything seems good so far :) will probably stick with this for a bit until a few builds are out

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

DavMar

Reaction score
Thanks Magi... in this one and some of your past roms the launcher seems so Duffy, sluggish, ... last night I flashed Chevy 1.1 low and put my trusty launcher pro on it... very good combo for my og... its flying now. Thanks man,Lord bless

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

1FZFE

Reaction score
So far so good. The swap scripts seem to be working well. Although I did initially have some trouble getting compcache started. I was getting an error message in the terminal. Ended up using gscript and its working now.

Has anyone noticed unusually high android OS battery usage ie 25-30%? Usually display uses most of my power with all of the operating system processes coming way behind. On SS5.5 it never got above about 8%. Is this kernel related or just different reporting by miui?

Sent from my CM7 NookColor using Tapatalk

chewy74

Reaction score
Still the same 2 issues for me. Wifi drop and reconnect and native browser fc trying to import bookmarks

mjh68

Reaction score
Everytime I try to run a2sd command it just says a2sd not found ?

groovydeus

Reaction score
so...I have been playing with MIUI since, what, last October? Well, I had some time off yesterday from work (and wife and kids) and decided to do a study on kernels, speeds and voltages (the results of which are not important as each d1 seems to have different preferences). Anyhow - what I did stumble on is that my droid HATES a large VM Heap size. It seems that there is a movement to go with larger heap sizes as this 'seems' to make larger apps, such as big games, work faster. This obviously works well for devices with larger memories (512) but for the d1, particularly if you are running multiple apps and background processes...this seems counterproductive. For kicks I tested heap sizes of 24m, 32, 40 and 48m and then benchmarked using linpack and quadrant as well as running (the same) programs and just getting an overall feel for the devices responsiveness. Note: I use this phone for work and with the exception of solitare, rummy and jewels do not do any heavy gaming on my phone.

I did benchmark significantly higher with 24m heap size - but more importantly my d1 no longer lags to any degree and actually benchmarks faster than both the last froyo miui build and petes last froyo build. Is there anyone else out there that could validate what I am seeing? Thanks, and by the way...thanks Magi - I am really enjoying this build. Not seeing the WiFi issue.

I used VM Heap Tool to adjust, and would like to know if anyone else has played with this and what your results/feelings are with how it alters performance.

1FZFE

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on the VM heap size. I didn't even realize the default was 40. I have cranked mine back down to 24 as well. This has worked for me in the past. I don't think I have ever gone above 32.

Speaking of defaults, does anyone know what the compcache is set at as default? I generally use 10 or 18 I believe. And I couldn't get compcache working with Chevy LV kernel using the scripts.