ROM Manger wont fix permissions

n0m0n

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that ROM Manager and Froyo won't allow access to fix permissions?
At least its doing that to me.
I got this message:
"An error occurred while attempting to run privileged commands!"

I have installed, re-installed, updated (this morning) and so on.

What can I do to get this to work right?
I am a Premium owner so its not that I didn't fork out the $$$.

Thanks

Erren

Reaction score
What Froyo rom are you running? The early couple didn't have busybox installed and the version that can be easily installed by Titianium Backup wouldn't work for me.

I ended up installing the attached copy of busybox. The version in the below link is the same file, but no longer available on Alldroid. Follow the steps only for busybox.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...covery-framework-res-apk-custom-boot-ani.html

OP
n0m0n

n0m0n

Reaction score
What Froyo rom are you running? The early couple didn't have busybox installed and the version that can be easily installed by Titianium Backup wouldn't work for me.

I ended up installing the attached copy of busybox. The version in the below link is the same file, but no longer available on Alldroid. Follow the steps only for busybox.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...covery-framework-res-apk-custom-boot-ani.html

The version is 33333, I think I heard that hteres another version but I cant find the update.
Your right, I relied on Titanium to install busybox.
The version that you attached has to be installed via ADB, or can it be installed by installing via rootexplorer?

Thanks

Last edited:

Erren

Reaction score
I installed it with ADB. You could probably use RootExplorer to put it in the right places and then terminal emulator to install it but why go through the hassle when ADB takes less then a minute?

Hashi

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that ROM Manager and Froyo won't allow access to fix permissions?
At least its doing that to me.
I got this message:
"An error occurred while attempting to run privileged commands!"

I have installed, re-installed, updated (this morning) and so on.

What can I do to get this to work right?
I am a Premium owner so its not that I didn't fork out the $$$.

Thanks

I've got the exact problem. I spent a few years on the linux kernel development team and also x.org, so I have a good feel for the linux kernel and it's components.

I've made sure that anything I thought Rom Manager might want to test to see if it should return that message is in place. By that I mean that of course I am rooted correctly, that superuser.apk is installed, and that other apps requiring root work correctly like 'setcpu' or 'root explorer' or just typing in 'su' at the terminal emulator prompt.

All the copies of su (usual places /system/bin, /system/xbin) are set to the proper permissions and work from each spot, that busybox (/system/bin, /system/xbin/ and /data/data/{home of titanium pro} are all correct and working and tested.

Still every click on anything in paid Rom Manager returns the error noted by the original poster.

At this point, I don't care or need Rom Manager because you can do anything a different way, but it has become a project on it's own. What I'd like to really know is what is Rom Manager's criteria for deciding to return that message?

By the way, I flashed an image of it (from terminal emulator "./flash_image recovery ./recovery.img" where recovery.img is the latest RM image) and that works OK, but still all the boxes are greyed out. I've also 'enabled' the buttons in Rom Manager using that option that allows you to (you tell it you flashed the image yourself), so now I have even more buttons returning that error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Hashi

Edit: I suppose it could somehow matter that I've got a Motorola Droid. The kernel is a p3 1G (but set to lowest speed (550 or 600) and (not to set boot when trying these things above) and the OS is 2.1.

Last edited:
OP
n0m0n

n0m0n

Reaction score
I installed it with ADB. You could probably use RootExplorer to put it in the right places and then terminal emulator to install it but why go through the hassle when ADB takes less then a minute?

well I am getting a lot of error or bad cmd messages.
I typed in:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\jefw

C:\Users\jefw>cd\

C:\>cd android

C:\android>cd tools

C:\android\tools>adb shell
$ su
su
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
exit
exit
adb push busybox /data/local
adb shell
adb shell
cd /systemPermission denied
$ mount: Operation not permitted
$
$ cd /system
cd /system
$ ls -al
ls -al
-al: No such file or directory
$ adb push busybox /data/local
adb: permission denied
$ adb shell
adb shell
adb: permission denied
$
$ su
su
# cd /data/local
cd /data/local
# chmod busybox 755
chmod busybox 755
Bad mode
# /data/local/busybox cp /data/local/busybox /system/xbin/busybox
/data/local/busybox cp /data/local/busybox /system/xbin/busybox
/data/local/busybox: not found
# /data/local/busybox mkdir /system/xbin
/data/local/busybox mkdir /system/xbin
# cd /data/local
cd /data/local
# chmod busybox 755
chmod busybox 755
Bad mode
# chmod busybox 0755
chmod busybox 0755
Bad mode
# /data/local/busybox cp /data/local/busybox /system/xbox/busybox
/data/local/busybox cp /data/local/busybox /system/xbox/busybox
# cd /system/xbin
cd /system/xbin
# chmod busybox 755
chmod busybox 755
Bad mode
# ./busybox --install -s /system/xbin
./busybox --install -s /system/xbin
# rm /data/local/busybox
rm /data/local/busybox
rm failed for /data/local/busybox, No such file or directory
# chmod busybox 755
chmod busybox 755
Bad mode
# reboot
reboot

C:\android\tools>

Tried to use a few different instructions when the for me.

Install BusyBox on Rooted Android Phone | Gadgets DNA

Yeah I'm just learning here

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
it's chmod 755 busybox

you should learn what these linux commands do

OP
n0m0n

n0m0n

Reaction score
it's chmod 755 busybox

OOPPs Yeah that would be nice which is why I am trying this to learn/do this.
Hey many ppl like my grown kids cant believe I am playing in this realm so give me some credit.

BUT the chmod is below additional error or bad cmd, messages,
I copied most of the above chmod and pasted so I know I didn't type that wrong.

Anything you can share as to why I got the bad command messages?

Thanks

Erren

Reaction score
I've got the exact problem. I spent a few years on the linux kernel development team and also x.org, so I have a good feel for the linux kernel and it's components.

I've made sure that anything I thought Rom Manager might want to test to see if it should return that message is in place. By that I mean that of course I am rooted correctly, that superuser.apk is installed, and that other apps requiring root work correctly like 'setcpu' or 'root explorer' or just typing in 'su' at the terminal emulator prompt.

All the copies of su (usual places /system/bin, /system/xbin) are set to the proper permissions and work from each spot, that busybox (/system/bin, /system/xbin/ and /data/data/{home of titanium pro} are all correct and working and tested.

Still every click on anything in paid Rom Manager returns the error noted by the original poster.

At this point, I don't care or need Rom Manager because you can do anything a different way, but it has become a project on it's own. What I'd like to really know is what is Rom Manager's criteria for deciding to return that message?

By the way, I flashed an image of it (from terminal emulator "./flash_image recovery ./recovery.img" where recovery.img is the latest RM image) and that works OK, but still all the boxes are greyed out. I've also 'enabled' the buttons in Rom Manager using that option that allows you to (you tell it you flashed the image yourself), so now I have even more buttons returning that error.

Hashi

Once again, the problem is not Rom Manager. Rom Manager relies on a working copy of busybox installed to perform the advanced functions. Go read what busybox does for more information. Buysbox is not included in the Android OS by default. It is added 3rd party by rom devs/cooks. The Froyo builds that were released off the bat were about as 'stock' as you can get from a hacked rom. As I said, the version of Busybox that Titanium installs is not compatible with Rom Manager. My suspicions are that it is not a complete copy of buysbox and only includes parts needed for Titanium. I don't know why, but it isn't. If you use a known working copy of busybox (like the one I linked above) Rom Manager will function on Froyo.

Edit: I just saw your edit. If you are on 2.1, what Rom are using? If it is stock 2.1, the above still applies.

Last edited:

Erren

Reaction score
it's chmod 755 busybox

OOPPs Yeah that would be nice which is why I am trying this to learn/do this.
Hey many ppl like my grown kids cant believe I am playing in this realm so give me some credit.

BUT the chmod is below additional error or bad cmd, messages,
I copied most of the above chmod and pasted so I know I didn't type that wrong.

Anything you can share as to why I got the bad command messages?

Thanks

What you typed doesn't quite match what I posted. Here it is again for reference. Each line is a separate command you enter and enter in order. your phone should be on and on the homescreen as you do this. I recommend you open up another browser tab and google each command as you enter it for what it does. Don't change the syntax, but you should at least understand what each step does.

BusyBox
download busybox binary to your adb tools directory
cd to your adb tools directory

Commands:
Code:
adb push busybox /data/local/busybox
adb shell
su
cd /data/local
chmod 755 busybox
./busybox
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
mkdir /system/xbin
/data/local/busybox cp /data/local/busybox /system/xbin
/data/local/busybox cp /data/local/busybox /system/bin
cd /system/xbin
busybox --install .
mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
sync
reboot

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
I used Titanium to install busybox and then used root explorer to copy busybox into system/bin and system/xbin.

Rom Manger ran "Fix Permissions" with no issues.

Last edited:

Erren

Reaction score
I used Titanium to install busybox and then used root explorer to copy busybox into system/bin and system/xbin.

Rom Manger ran "Fix Permissions" with on issues.

Ah, so it sounds like Titanium doesn't install to the /system paths which would make sense since it is a user app. Thanks for the tip.

dmacleo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Rom Manger ran "Fix Permissions" with no issues.
I just did bin and it worked for me, wonder if I should do xbin also.

Hashi

Reaction score

Hashi

Once again, the problem is not Rom Manager. Rom Manager relies on a working copy of busybox installed to perform the advanced functions. Go read what busybox does for more information. Buysbox is not included in the Android OS by default. It is added 3rd party by rom devs/cooks. The Froyo builds that were released off the bat were about as 'stock' as you can get from a hacked rom. As I said, the version of Busybox that Titanium installs is not compatible with Rom Manager. My suspicions are that it is not a complete copy of buysbox and only includes parts needed for Titanium. I don't know why, but it isn't. If you use a known working copy of busybox (like the one I linked above) Rom Manager will function on Froyo.

Edit: I just saw your edit. If you are on 2.1, what Rom are using? If it is stock 2.1, the above still applies.

Erren,

Thanks for the reply. I installed busybox using those exact instructions (actually I've tried 3 different versions now). Why are you convinced there is no bug in Rom Manager? Because it works for you? You know there are bugs in everything unless every line of code is commented out.

Anyway, I've followed your instructions to the letter so that I could have this conversation without a loss of credibility and here I am again with the error that I don't have the privileges to click a single button in Rom Manager.

So now that is done. Could someone tell me the answer to my original question (which I apologize but perhaps I didn't even ask it originally):

What are the criteria Rom Manager uses before it cranks out that damned "No Privileges" message? If I knew that, I could more likely succeed in getting it to run. Every other root app I've got works fine and that includes busybox.

Thanks,

Hashi

PS: I also originally did what tcrews did having seen this as a possible 'fix' before as well. That didn't change anything but I appreciate seeing these suggestions.

Erren

Reaction score
Hashi,

Sorry for the confusion. Your question is off topic from the OP and I assumed it was a similar problem. If you have questions on the application, you should probably consider talking to the Dev of Rom Manager or creating a separate thread. His name is Koush and you can find him on IRC. I believe his source is publicly available as well.

freenode Web IRC (qwebirc)
Channel is #koush

As for some basic troubleshooting steps, make sure you have the most recent version or Rom Manager installed and that you currently have the Premium version installed. You can tell it is installed by looking at the top of Rom Manager when you open the app for the text "ROM Manager Premium v.1.8.8.6" (as of this post). Some older versions of Rom Manager had bugs with the Premium license key integration. You should also try uninstalling Rom Manager and the Premium Key app and then reinstalling. If that doesn't work you should consider wiping cache/data from the recovery and trying to install/run Rom Manager again.

I'm not claiming Rom Manager is bug free. I am claiming that 99% of the population that uses the app has it working and not having the same problem you are. In this particular case (n0m0n OP) the problem is Froyo doesn't have busybox installed in the right places by default and Rom Manager requires it. Busybox does not sound like your problem.

Also, post your rom build and OS version. Just mentioning you are running 2.1 is not enough information.