[ROM]Bring Out Your Dead.... We're Not Dead Yet - Obsidian 2.0 Release!

sniffle

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.ccroms.net
What a crazy 3 months it has been, with life in general getting in the way of development, but it's over and here is a release for everyone!

For the full list of changes please see the changelog at http://bit.ly/aH0ioL.

*Please note*

All Google apps that are available for download from the market will no longer be included in the CCRoms Google apps package, to facilitate updating the apps the way Google intends.

Also this release is FROYO, Gingerbread will most likely be our next release with this gem version's features ported to AOSP Gingerbread.

The Main Highlights:
Obsidian for the Droid X is now a fully stable build, some minor bugs might still exist, but otherwise it is rock solid.
Tanzanite for the Droid 2 is also stable build, since it is so close to the Droid X.
Emerald for the HTC Evo is also stable for all pre-2.10 and 2.02 hboot updates.
Sapphire is just as stable as ever.
Ruby has been updated to the Miui ril for better connectivity and is more stable than ever.

That's right we are now on 5 phones, Thanks for all of your support everyone!

Now for the important part, Obsidian 2.0, Ruby 2.0, Sapphire 2.0, Tanzanite 2.0 are released!

All Downloads are available under the downloads section on our wiki: http://wiki.ccroms.net

Be sure to read the wiki pages fully for known issues and install instructions for certain roms.

NOTE: Emerald has been having some kernel issues and 2.0 will be delayed slightly.

AFAngryWarrior

Reaction score
As much as I'm all for trying new ROMS you say its for all intense purposes a "Stable Build" then list these as the known issues for Obsidian?

- Video through Gallery & YouTube do not work
- GPS is not pinpoint accurate
- Camera Doesn't Work
- Camcorder Doesn't work
- Battery Performance is weakened

Those are some pretty major issues for a user like me, and not stable at all? I dont see any screenshots, or much of a list of whats included. I'll check back later but for now I'm sticking with what works.

rmcomer

Reaction score
I know you state that there are issues with battery and perfomance. It took so long to even get things going and by then my phone felt like it was on fire. Everything felt like slow motion. Same as AFAngryWarrior, I went back to a much more stable and functional release and will try again once more of the bugs are resolved.

Strikeir13

Reaction score
As much as I'm all for trying new ROMS you say its for all intense purposes a "Stable Build" then list these as the known issues for Obsidian?

- Video through Gallery & YouTube do not work
- GPS is not pinpoint accurate
- Camera Doesn't Work
- Camcorder Doesn't work
- Battery Performance is weakened

Those are some pretty major issues for a user like me, and not stable at all? I dont see any screenshots, or much of a list of whats included. I'll check back later but for now I'm sticking with what works.

I believe what you mean is "for all intents and purposes"...

As fast as your issue with the "stable build" terminology, this is FAR more stable than the only other true AOSP contender out there (the unfortunate Unleashed ROM that I think few have adopted). In the grand scheme of creating a ROM from AOSP scratch, as cvpcs has indeed done, these bugs are relatively minor, especially when compared to bugs constant rebooting or rebooting on wake from sleep. Stable build really means it won't reboot when you don't want it to, and you can use it as a phone. I agree, however, that major media issues like the ones Obsidian has can't go unaddressed, nor will they. Ask any DX dev and I'm sure they'll tell you how ridiculous it is that cvpcs got as far as he has already. He will be working on the bugs in the coming weeks, but I believe he wanted to release something at long last. It's very impressive so far, and I'm sure it will be even more so when finally completed! (The battery issue is the biggest issue for me, as it is really the only bug that affects any possible use of the phone. Which is why I think he said it's at the top of his list of priorities! The other bugs are bugs, and will be addressed in due time.)

(disclaimer: I'm not a part of the ccroms project, so I don't presume to speak for cvpcs. This is just my opinion and what I think will happen. :) )

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Rhino413

Reaction score
what build is this based off of IE .320 or .340 or .315 because that will make a difference. you state this rom is stable but label it a beta ??? that confuses me. this rom is entering the droid X game a little late and thats ok because i used saphire and it was a solid solid rom. I think I will hold on testing this beta for the X and hold out for a more tested and stable rom the listed issues are big and the more stable roms out there seem to have worked passed these issues. that plagued many of the Droid X roms when they first came out after Bootstrap was released. Some screen shots would be nice as well. normaly I wouldnt care about screen shots. but with X roms there is always a chance of it having a little to much blur for my taste. And what camera apk is this running because vanilla cam app sucks the blur one is nice and works really well.

Strikeir13

Reaction score
what build is this based off of IE .320 or .340 or .315 because that will make a difference. you state this rom is stable but label it a beta ??? that confuses me. this rom is entering the droid X game a little late and thats ok because i used saphire and it was a solid solid rom. I think I will hold on testing this beta for the X and hold out for a more tested and stable rom the listed issues are big and the more stable roms out there seem to have worked passed these issues. that plagued many of the Droid X roms when they first came out after Bootstrap was released. Some screen shots would be nice as well. normaly I wouldnt care about screen shots. but with X roms there is always a chance of it having a little to much blur for my taste. And what camera apk is this running because vanilla cam app sucks the blur one is nice and works really well.

I was going to say it is based off of .340, but it's not because it's completely based off of AOSP source (minus the moto kernel). It's stable in that it functions 99% perfectly but for the few bugs mentioned. This was an incredible undertaking, so it will have a few bugs. When finished, though, it should be just as good if not better than anything out there. The bugs will be resolved eventually. And it will likely be using a camera built from source, NOT the blur one, as removing blur was kind of the point...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

anrichardson

Reaction score
The rom is sluggish at intial install, but once everything is synced and set, this thing will fly. Just give it time to sync and what ever else it has to do. Once the bugs get settled. this will be the rom of choosing.

Rhino413

Reaction score
@sniffle

I think I have an Idea about the video bug. Im running Fission and have been playing Dungeon Defenders and was getting poor frame rate so I went into the Build prop. File and set all the stage fright settings to true. and rebooted my fps for gaming went through the roof and game play was sick
but video from gallery or youtube would not work and would flash an warning stating the media server had crashed and then would force close the video app. after some pondering I went back into the build prop and set the media player aspect of stage fright back to false and rebooted. DING it worked my FPS went down just a hair for gaming and my videos from inside gallery worked as did youtube. not sure if this issue is related to what is going on with your rom. but Maybe it can help.

JoelWRX

Reaction score
With all due respect to everyone in this thread, the ROM is labeled a BETA therefore there are issues, by stable I believe the developer is simply stating that the ROM is stable enough for a BETA release meaning no crashing, rebooting, etc.

For everyone else asking this ROM is a complete AOSP ROM meaning that it is not based off of a Motorola/Verizon build (.320 etc) it is completely built from the ground up.

I had CVPCS on my Droid 1, and am very glad it is out for Droid X. Thanks for your hard work CVPCS now I can get to work on bringing black bar mod to Obsidian... well until your gingerbread release is out!

Rhino413

Reaction score
@sniffle

Another Idea for you. Again Fission also had the camera/video crashing and or Force closing on its builds well at least for me it did. I fixed by pulling the blur camera APK from a saved rom. and using root explorer and moving into the system / app file. I then took the ASOP camera APK from the fission rom deleted it and then open the blurcamera and it worked fine closed it then put the ASOP apk back on and BAM both of them work now. go figure not sure what transpired my guess is that once the blur app was able to access the hardware it opened it for asop app as well. but who knows Im not a dev just thought again it might help.

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
Awesome work! Much appreciated! It must have been a daunting task just to get this far and I'm sure it will only get better and for us that like the aosp experience over blur many thanks!!!

Droid74

Reaction score
Seriously...not only is this listed as Beta it states very clearly that there are issues that need to be addressed and he just wanted to get this out. I really wish people would not be so rude and take the time to read and understand (as he asked several times). He clearly states this is not yet an every day ROM. Anyone who has been around knows this group puts out awesome ROMs and I'm sure when they get out an every day ROM this will be no exception. So READ the damn thread that he posted and understand he KNOWS and STATES its not an every day ROM yet!!!

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Seriously...not only is this listed as Beta it states very clearly that there are issues that need to be addressed and he just wanted to get this out. I really wish people would not be so rude and take the time to read and understand (as he asked several times). He clearly states this is not yet an every day ROM. Anyone who has been around knows this group puts out awesome ROMs and I'm sure when they get out an every day ROM this will be no exception. So READ the damn thread that he posted and understand he KNOWS and STATES its not an every day ROM yet!!!

You said it all :) agreed.

//Tap'd on CM8's DX w/DF app\\

detox

Reaction score
I've never used a "gem" rom before and im anxious to get my hands on this when its complete!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App