[Review] xScope Browser

Reaction score
Anyone running 2.1 to shed anylight on this?

I'm running a non-rooted Droid with 2.1 installed. I just checked and neither the newest X-Scope or the factory browser will play videos from the MSN site. Both give the error of no video player being available on the phone.

Checked the CNN site and got the same error of "can't find application to handle this file" but YouTube works just fine.

In that I get the same error from the X-Scope and from the factory browser, I'm guessing that this is a snag in the 2.1 and not something that is X-Scope specific. Then again, I'm not a developer - just a user.:motdroidhoriz:

garysui

Reaction score
You are right basically.
Some websites send different contents to different devices.
Most phones can't play flash video. So MSN or CNN will send non-flash videos. However, with 2.1, MSN or CNN might be too slow to recognize it as a mobile phone. Then they send flash videos that your phone can't play.
Set useragent as iPhone.
Anyone running 2.1 to shed anylight on this?

I'm running a non-rooted Droid with 2.1 installed. I just checked and neither the newest X-Scope or the factory browser will play videos from the MSN site. Both give the error of no video player being available on the phone.

Checked the CNN site and got the same error of "can't find application to handle this file" but YouTube works just fine.

In that I get the same error from the X-Scope and from the factory browser, I'm guessing that this is a snag in the 2.1 and not something that is X-Scope specific. Then again, I'm not a developer - just a user.:motdroidhoriz:

jasonb

Reaction score
a little off topic, but can i completely delete the stock browser without any bad side effects? does xscope rely on the stock browser being on the phone?

garysui

Reaction score
The answer is 'no side effect'. Although I would not uninstall it.
The core of stock browser is WebView, which is a standard component of android and I don't think you can uninstall it. xScope is built on it too.
a little off topic, but can i completely delete the stock browser without any bad side effects? does xscope rely on the stock browser being on the phone?