[Review] V Cast Videos on Android

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
[Review] Verizon V Cast Videos – DroidBlog Exclusive

One of the biggest gripes with the Android platform is its lack of live and on-demand media. However, Android has slowly been catching up to the IPhone and other competitors. Over the past few months, MLB, NBA, Soccer, NASCAR, and NFL apps have been released that provide live (as well as on-demand) media content for the sports enthusiasts out there. Now for television show and movie access, Android has been quite limited, except for the not-so-well-known Jetflicks app. Sling Media Player and Flash 10.1 are coming to Android in the near future, but what if you can’t wait, and want to watch Lost or the Office on your smartphone now? Well, Verizon is here to the rescue; on June 8th, VZW released its popular V Cast Videos service to its Android headsets. Pricing is a rather steep $10 monthly subscription, so is V Cast Videos worth it?

Continue reading here... [Review] Verizon V Cast Videos ? DroidBlog Exclusive | DroidBlog - Android News

dub8420

Reaction score
No way is it worth it. I pay $30/month to find loopholes around whatever content they're charging that for.

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
No way is it worth it. I pay $30/month to find loopholes around whatever content they're charging that for.

read the review to find out :)

jayb

Reaction score
I have never seen actual " Live " programing on Vcast. It is just another way to get more money for the same bandwidth we are already paying for!:icon_evil:

richrcp

Reaction score
V Cast app is useless & expensive!!!!!!

V Cast is useless if you dont have 3G/EVDO coverage in your area. And also the the app does not work over your wi-fi connection not to mention the extra $10.00 fee for the service. :icon_evil: Yeah verizon to the rescue??????

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Has anybody had any positive experience from the V Cast service yet?

doublejack

Reaction score

V Cast was OK four years ago when smartphones were in their infancy - hardly anyone had one and their capabilities were way more limited than the phones of today. I used to have a V Cast "dumb phone", so I didn't pay for a data plan. $10 a month to watch videos and listen to music on my phone was a decent value. I'd compare that to the Zune service, or Rhapsody. It saved my from carrying a dedicated PMP like a Zune or IPod.

But now, no way. Between Pandora, Last FM, Slacker radio and Youtube, and with Flash 10.1 coming in FroYo, there's really no reason to pony up an additional $10 a month for V Cast. All you need is an Android phone and the $30 unlimited data plan, and some ingenuity.

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Verdict: 1/5 stars. Lol

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

man, watching the season finale of Lost in 13 parts was AWESOME!!! cliffhanger after cliffhanger :icon_eek:

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69

V Cast was OK four years ago when smartphones were in their infancy - hardly anyone had one and their capabilities were way more limited than the phones of today. I used to have a V Cast "dumb phone", so I didn't pay for a data plan. $10 a month to watch videos and listen to music on my phone was a decent value. I'd compare that to the Zune service, or Rhapsody. It saved my from carrying a dedicated PMP like a Zune or IPod.

But now, no way. Between Pandora, Last FM, Slacker radio and Youtube, and with Flash 10.1 coming in FroYo, there's really no reason to pony up an additional $10 a month for V Cast. All you need is an Android phone and the $30 unlimited data plan, and some ingenuity.

Well I think we paid for mobile tv and we got vcast free..well videos free, paid for the live stuff, I remember their was a lot of price is right and alot of nickelodeon lol

nerdkill

Reaction score
uhhh.... yeah no thanks. 10 bucks a month for a garbage app. can't wait for sling box.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Ya know its funny, VZ charges $10 a month for a navigation system... or $3 a day whatever. So when they get the droids with the google nav, they tack on the $30 data plan but advertise that you get FREE navigation.. Now its funny that they come up out with this now right before sling comes out. Wonder what they will advertise for free on the next gen phones..

faxman75

Reaction score
The World Cup 2010 lasts one month. For $10 is this not a good idea? They claim every single game live? I'm taking the gamble on it and hope it's worth it. I just want it for the month to watch the Cup and nothing else.