RetroArch for Android Emulates Many of Your Old Favorite Games/Game Systems

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
retro-arch-logo-gps.png

If you wax nostalgic for some of the old days of gaming, then you might want to take a peek at this emulator for Android called RetroArch. It includes a smorgasbord of emulation possibilities for some great past gaming devices/systems. Here's a list:

RetroArch Plays the following kind of games:
- PlayStation 1 (emulator: PCSX ReARMed)
- Super Nintendo (emulator: SNES9x Next)
- Nintendo Entertainment System (emulator: FCEUmm / NEStopia / QuickNES)
- GameBoy / GameBoy Color (emulator: Gambatte)
- GameBoy Advance (emulator: VBA Next) (*)
- Arcade (emulator: Final Burn Alpha)
- Neo Geo Pocket Color (emulator: Mednafen NGP)
- Virtual Boy (emulator: Mednafen VB)
- Sega Genesis/Mega Drive (emulator: Genesis Plus GX)
- Sega Master System/Sega Game Gear (emulator: Genesis Plus GX)
- Sega CD / Mega CD (emulator: Genesis Plus GX)
- PC Engine / PC Engine CD (emulator: Mednafen PCE Fast)
- WonderSwan Color / Crystal (emulator: Mednafen Wonderswan)
- Cave Story (game engine: NX Engine)
- Doom 1 / Doom 2 / Ultimate Doom / Final Doom (game engine: prBoom)
- Quake 1 / Quake 1 Mission Packs 1 and 2 (game engine: Tyrquake)

What do you guys think? Is it worth checking out for a small chance to relive some of your old favorites? Also, if you are aware of other game emulator alternatives for Android, share them in this thread.

Thanks to rakumiazuri for the tip!

Source: Google Play Store - RetroArch

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
So instead of my buying an emulator for Nintendo 1, and Neo Geo, and Gameboy, I can get one emulator for them all????

SOLD!

I did buy a Nintendo emulator some time back, but I hated using the onscreen controls on my phone to play the games.
Also, you should get this now, as Google Playstore may take it down, as they have some of the other emulators.

warped1987

Reaction score
Interesting post I feel is directly for me, lol. I just got into the Game Emulator app scene this last week so I could play the old Pokemon games for GameBoy Color. I have been using Johns GameBoy Color Emulator app and his Emulator game list app, I love it, the free version comes full featured with a small ad banner at the top of the game that does not interfere with the gamem even allows you to have Turbo A/B and cheats from GameShark/Genie etc. I love it, but not sure how it compares to this one.

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
RetroArch has been around for awhile. I plan to use it for some old PSX games to see how it stacks up to the emulator FPSe.

I do really like Libretro's philosophy of an emulation program coded by nostalgic gamers, for nostalgic gamers. He is very adamant about these types of things remaining free and open source so I look forward to seeing people move away from all of the pay for emulators in the Play Store and move over to this one platform that has it's API's coded for various operating systems universally.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
- PC Engine / PC Engine CD (emulator: Mednafen PCE Fast)

that's what I'm interested in... I'd love to see which old PC games you could play on it.