Reset Default Email

Ralffers

Reaction score
I'm trying to reset the default email client on my phone. You know how, when you click on a contact in your address book, & then if click the persons email to send them something, a screen pops up asking if you want to send it through the gmail client, or via pop 3? Well, since my pop 3 accounts are pushed to gmail, I clicked the 'make this my default" [whatever the last word was I forget]. Anyway, I meant to tap on gmail, but clicked pop3 by accident. Any ideas of how to reset this? I played with my phone for over an hour trying to rest it, & then looked online as well - and I got nothing. Hoping to avoid a master reset.

Thanks! :)

Technoman

Reaction score
I'm trying to reset the default email client on my phone. You know how, when you click on a contact in your address book, & then if click the persons email to send them something, a screen pops up asking if you want to send it through the gmail client, or via pop 3? Well, since my pop 3 accounts are pushed to gmail, I clicked the 'make this my default" [whatever the last word was I forget]. Anyway, I meant to tap on gmail, but clicked pop3 by accident. Any ideas of how to reset this? I played with my phone for over an hour trying to rest it, & then looked online as well - and I got nothing. Hoping to avoid a master reset.

Go into launcher and find the APP called "email", and then click your menu button. Scroll down and find the "default email account". You can select from the email accounts you have setup in the "My Accounts" section.

OP
R

Ralffers

Reaction score

Go into launcher and find the APP called "email", and then click your menu button. Scroll down and find the "default email account". You can select from the email accounts you have setup in the "My Accounts" section.

Tried that, but since I dont have a pop3 email setuop, insted of taking me to the email options, it takes me to the messaging folder - where I only see twitter & facebook, text mesaging & universal inbox. My accounts section likewise only has phone badckup assistant, facebook, google (but not the actual gmail client) & twitter.

Technoman

Reaction score

Tried that, but since I dont have a pop3 email setuop, insted of taking me to the email options, it takes me to the messaging folder - where I only see twitter & facebook, text mesaging & universal inbox. My accounts section likewise only has phone badckup assistant, facebook, google (but not the actual gmail client) & twitter.

So if you open the "email" APP, it doesn't open anything and allow you to press your hard menu key?

OP
R

Ralffers

Reaction score

So if you open the "email" APP, it doesn't open anything and allow you to press your hard menu key?

It takes me into messaging, where I see facebook, twitter, text messaging & universal inbox. Once here, when I click the hard menu button I get the option ' manage accounts' & messaging setting; neither of these give the option to reset default or reset default. Oh, & if I go to messaging settings, 'email' is grayed out.

Technoman

Reaction score
It takes me into messaging, where I see facebook, twitter, text messaging & universal inbox. Once here, when I click the hard menu button I get the option ' manage accounts' & messaging setting; neither of these give the option to reset default or reset default. Oh, & if I go to messaging settings, 'email' is grayed out.

So if you click a link to send an email, what client does the phone use?

OP
R

Ralffers

Reaction score

None - it just takes me into messaging. And it briefly says "cannot find any email accounts configured on this device".

Technoman

Reaction score

None - it just takes me into messaging. And it briefly says "cannot find any email accounts configured on this device".

I would think that it would allow you to use Google mail as your default if you didn't have anything else setup.

OP
R

Ralffers

Reaction score

I would think that it would allow you to use Google mail as your default if you didn't have anything else setup.

That's what I would think to; it's logical after all - but no. I can do a facory reset I guess, but it;s such a pain to download all my apps. I can never remember what exactly I did or didn't have (most of my apps are free).

Technoman

Reaction score

That's what I would think to; it's logical after all - but no. I can do a facory reset I guess, but it;s such a pain to download all my apps. I can never remember what exactly I did or didn't have (most of my apps are free).

Download APPBrain in the market and setup an account online. It lets you sync your APPs there. After you do a reset, you can go to your web APPBrain account and see all of the APPs you had installed.

OP
R

Ralffers

Reaction score

Download APPBrain in the market and setup an account online. It lets you sync your APPs there. After you do a reset, you can go to your web APPBrain account and see all of the APPs you had installed.

Awesome, Thanks for all the help, man! Wish that there was a way I could beam you over a beer, or your drink of choice...

mrsleonard

Reaction score
I think this is the answer he was looking for

My husband made the same mistake on his phone so I did a little research and found a resolution. I'm sure Ralffers has solved his problem already, but aside from resetting his phone back to factory settings, there is another fix to this. I think this is what he was looking for.

From the Home screen, press the Menu button and click Settings.
Select Applications.
Select Manage Applications.
Select the All tab.
Scroll down to Email.
Under the Launch by default heading, click the Clear defaults button.

Next time you try to send an email (i.e. from a name card), you will be given the option to set your default sending application. In this case, Ralffers wanted his to be Gmail.

Hope this is helpful to someone else.

sdo782

Reaction score
THANK YOU for posting this. I just came across the exact same question as Ralffers and your answer helped me immensely - I didn't have to do a factory reset - yay! This solution worked for me.

My husband made the same mistake on his phone so I did a little research and found a resolution. I'm sure Ralffers has solved his problem already, but aside from resetting his phone back to factory settings, there is another fix to this. I think this is what he was looking for.

Select Applications.
Select the All tab.
Scroll down to Email.

Next time you try to send an email (i.e. from a name card), you will be given the option to set your default sending application. In this case, Ralffers wanted his to be Gmail.

BobbleBunny

Reaction score

Select Applications.
Select the All tab.
Scroll down to Email.

Unfortunately, my "clear default" button is not highlighted, so I cannot click it.