Removing/renaming factory apps via TE

the5barrons

Reaction score
I saw a video on how to completely delete the factory apps using terminal emulator, which is easy, but I like the idea of renaming which I've only seen done through the USB/ADB via PC.

I did some searching and wasn't able to come up with anything specific to this.

Ideas? Maybe a pointer to where it's already explained. If it's the same as deleting apps via terminal emulator and just a phraseology thing, let me know please.

Thanks.

Andy

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Don't know if its possible but try

su
cd rename /system/app/appname.apk desiredname

If that doesn't work, try removing cd, or instead of desiredname, try desiredname.apk. Those are my best guesses. Back up your phone before you try.

OP
the5barrons

the5barrons

Reaction score
Interstingly enough, I downloaded Titanium BU nd while going through that process, I downloaded the Busybox to go with it. While going through the app list, I noticed that there is an "uninstall" function. Why all the hub-ub on some of the threads regarding removal of bloat if all a rooted guy needs is Titanium to dissolve factory programming.

OP
the5barrons

the5barrons

Reaction score
In TE, did the CD rename /system/app/Blockbuster.apk /system/app/Blockbuster.bak

Got cd: bad substitution

Tired a few versions, none of them allow for a name change. Now, the Titanium uninstall function does work. I deleted blockbuster and kindle just as a test, either way, I'll never use them. And yup..they're gone. Now, I gather I can still go the PC route...

REARless

Reaction score
Here you go, you must be rooted.

su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
cd /system/app
mv com.amazon.mp3.apk com.amazon.mp3.bak
mv Blockbuster.apk Blockbuster.bak
mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
sync
reboot

hoops8

Reaction score
BTW, which stock apps can be renamed and not affect the regular operation of the phone? In other words, which apps can be renamed that will not mess with any of the other apps that are being used? Thanks.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

su
cd /system/app
sync
reboot

if this doesnt mount it, try

mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system

OP
the5barrons

the5barrons

Reaction score

su
cd /system/app
sync
reboot

Yeah that did it. Thanks! I deleted Blockbuster and Kindle via Titanium anyway, but did the extension name change on Cardock, City ID, and Skype.

Again...thanks

hoops8

Reaction score
After reading about removing any bloat, it seems like the safest way would be to take the 19 or 20 bloat apps and rename them from .apk to .bak. That way when another OTA update comes around, all you need to do is rename them back to .apk and no problem getting the update then. Does that sound right?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
After reading about removing any bloat, it seems like the safest way would be to take the 19 or 20 bloat apps and rename them from .apk to .bak. That way when another OTA update comes around, all you need to do is rename them back to .apk and no problem getting the update then. Does that sound right?

and then reinstall them by clicking on them

hoops8

Reaction score
Abe, what do you mean, just click on it to install it? Once you rename it back to .apk, it shows up in the app drawer right? If not, then where is it and how do you install it?