Removing Low Battery Sound on Razr Maxx?

schrajw

Reaction score
Anyone aware of a way to remove the annoying, and sometimes quite startling, low battery warning on the RMaxx? Doesn't go off often, but I absolutely hate the sound.

Trash Can

Reaction score
Anyone aware of a way to remove the annoying, and sometimes quite startling, low battery warning on the RMaxx? Doesn't go off often, but I absolutely hate the sound.

Think of it as the same way as a young baby crying when it's trying to say "I'm very hungry. Feed me!"

I don't know how to disable the sound and am not sure I would want to. There's been plenty of recent posts about people draining their battery until it died and then it became unrecoverable. This warning, although annoying, is intended to get your attention so you won't become the next victim of a battery that will no longer take a charge. Hopefully, it serves it's purpose. YMMV

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I've been looking to see if you can, and after searching all afternoon, I came up with nothing. Like trashcan said, I don't know that I'd want to either.

Would you want to turn of the warning chime for if your vehicle was overheating? Some may, but that's a good way to really mess up your car/truck. Killing this battery can really mess up you device. If you do it to often, or if the battery doesn't take a charge, your device is a goner. A few people have saved their devices after this, others haven't been as fortunate.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

OP
S

schrajw

Reaction score
Thanks, but a visual warning and programmed shutdown is plenty for me. Had a DX prior to this, and it was programmed into the firmware... assume it's the same way on this bad boy. Still annoying as all get out.

Anyone?

Chukee

Reaction score
Rooting might be the only way if its possible at all.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Thanks, but a visual warning and programmed shutdown is plenty for me. Had a DX prior to this, and it was programmed into the firmware... assume it's the same way on this bad boy. Still annoying as all get out.

Anyone?

The programmed shutdown depends on an accurate battery meter to shut the phone down at a safe voltage. Unfortunately after several weeks of typical use and charging cycles the meter on these phones is left considerably askew. The result is the "programmed shutdown" happens far too late leaving the battery deep-discharged and unable to sustain a boot sequence long enough to activate the charging system. This often ends in either bootlooping or a complete failure to even respond to the charger.

If you use the power meter on your phone like your car's fuel gauge (and assuming you don't like running out of gas on the open highway), you'll "fill up", "top off", or, otherwise "add $20" before taking to the road.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 using Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

Last edited:

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
At what point does this chime sound off?
Either I have never gotten low enough or I managed to disable it... I have had it down go 10-15% before, is it lower?

----posted MAXXED OUT WITH dessert----

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
Either I have never gotten low enough or I managed to disable it... I have had it down go 10-15% before, is it lower?

I only reached it once, while doing my battery/meter calibration as described elsewhere on this board, but my chime went off promptly at 15%. Happened at 11:30pm when I was in bed and gave me a little startle, actually.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

I only reached it once, while doing my battery/meter calibration as described elsewhere on this board, but my chime went off promptly at 15%. Happened at 11:30pm when I was in bed and gave me a little startle, actually.

And that's because 15% is the point at which the phone sets the "low battery flag" for the meter, so it knows how much power to keep in reserve on the chance that the phone were to actually discharge to 0%. The problem is that only allowing the 15% flag to set (which sets based on a specific voltage drop signature from the battery) but never setting the 100% flag properly (by charging to 100% with the power off), the range of power from "full" to "empty" begins to stray from the actual battery's capacity.

Also, if you never let it get to 15% to set the Low battery flag, it will never know just how much power there really is and how much to keep in reserve to prevent the battery from going into "Protection mode" and essentially shutting down permanently, and one day you may go from 20% to 0% to completely dead and unresponsive to charge in a matter of minutes.

There are many posts here about how to properly maintain the battery meter calibration to the actual battery capacity, but in short;

1. Power off the phone and charge to 100% with the stock wall adapter and stock cable.
  2. Power the phone on and use until the 15% "Low battery" warning.
  3. Repeat step 1.

If you do the above about every 2 - 3 months, you'll be good to go. Finally, you should avoid draining the battery to 0% and allowing it to perform the "programmed shutdown" if at all possible (unless your meter is properly calibrated as described above), as this is when the big problems mentioned start for most.

Last edited:

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Couldn't you just rename the sound lowbattery.ogg to lowbattery.bak? This of course involves being rooted, but if it's anything like my Nexus, you just navigate to /system/media/audio/ui and should be able to perform the change.

OP
S

schrajw

Reaction score
syndicate0017 said:
Couldn't you just rename the sound lowbattery.ogg to lowbattery.bak? This of course involves being rooted, but if it's anything like my Nexus, you just navigate to /system/media/audio/ui and should be able to perform the change.

Yeah, that's the plan when I get around to trying it. Didn't work on the good 'ol DX (very rooted). Wondering if anyone has successfully found and renamed it on the Maxx yet?