Remove Bloat Safely

chrstdvd

Reaction score
1. Root -use z4Root from the market or use this method if you are interested in the nuts and bolts of the operation:
How to root the Droid 2 - xda-developers

2. Purchase Droid 2 bootstrapper from Market and install it.

3. Download and install Titaniaum Backup from the market.

4. Use Droid 2 bootstrapper to make a backup of your still "Stock" system.

5. Use Titanium to backup all your apps, even bloat, then Uninstall your bloat apps. If you accidentally delete an app you need, it is easy to reinstall one app from Titanium. You may find that you need a bloat app to make another app work, so you can just reinstall it.

Do anything you want to your phone.

When update comes out use Droid 2 bootstrapper to restore your stock setup. You will not need to unroot. Update your phone. Then repeat these steps for the Updated system. I keep the original for a while just in case I do not like the update.

(If z4Rpoot makes a backup you may not need to follow this, however, I would just in case.)

Reaction score
Thank you for this step by step for us nuebies. My questions are:

1. Is Droid 2 bootstrapper installed on the phone or computer?

2. Is Titaniaum Backup also installed on the phone or the computer?

3. How do you "How do you pay for your purchases from the Market?

Thanks for your help. I am quite new at this and need all the help I can get. Dave

pool_shark

Reaction score
That's one way to go, a bit too much for me.

I moved my unwanted apps to another directory. When another update comes I'll just move them back.

OP
chrstdvd

chrstdvd

Reaction score
Thank you for this step by step for us nuebies. My questions are:

1. Is Droid 2 bootstrapper installed on the phone or computer?

2. Is Titaniaum Backup also installed on the phone or the computer?

3. How do you "How do you pay for your purchases from the Market?

Thanks for your help. I am quite new at this and need all the help I can get. Dave

1 & 2 on the phone.

3 You will need a debit/credit card. Don't remember exactly, but when you select "Purchase", you will be taken through the steps on the first purchase. After that you will select "Purchase" and the download starts and your account is hit.

pool_shark you are correct as well as the method of changing the file extensions to .bak. I tried both of those methods. My problem is that I tinker with the phone so much I, without fail, end up screwing up those files or loosing the folder because one of my experiments deletes it. I have had to restore with this method several times while scratching my head and wondering what I did wrong. Ha! You have always given me good advice.

Abe21599 Thanks.

pool_shark

Reaction score
pool_shark you are correct as well as the method of changing the file extensions to .bak. I tried both of those methods. My problem is that I tinker with the phone so much I, without fail, end up screwing up those files or loosing the folder because one of my experiments deletes it.

I have had to restore with this method several times while scratching my head and wondering what I did wrong. Ha! You have always given me good advice.

I don't even rename them anymore. I do an ls for the beginning of the filename I want, then do a mv.
For example, ls Ci* will give me the CityID app, then I mv Ci* APPS (the directory I created in /system/app.)

If I have to move them back, I go to /system/app/APPS mv * ..
That puts all of the apps in APPS back into /system/app.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I renamed them to .bak in case I need them in the future.