recovery w/ broken buttons.

DSM4rill

Reaction score
hey... question to all that know.

is there a way to reboot to recovery with a broken power button?. my phone is rooted and i wanted to change my boot animations and install a custon rom... my phone was wet a while ago now the power/lock button and "volume down"on the rocker does not work. i was told i needed these buttons to do a flash recovery.

anyone know a method to get around this?

all insight is appreciated. thanks in advance

DSM4rill.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
You think there would be with us droid and d2 users having a hard keyboard but im not sure you can do it
Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes. But why would you risk it?

Sent from my A855.

OP
DSM4rill

DSM4rill

Reaction score
well...im not aware of the risk.
i changed my boot animation fronm thye red eye to the android stock using a free app. but i cant change back. i called my geek friend and he said " you have to do a flash recovery."

i went through the motions and found out i need my volume and power buttons. i called him back and he reffered me here...

so i guess im stuck with my current animation and no way to install custom roms? which is fine, but im a lil' disappointed.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well if something goes sour, you wont be able to power on.

Sent from my A855.

OP
DSM4rill

DSM4rill

Reaction score
i can power up from just pluggin in to my USB/wall charger...been doing that since its been wet.
powering up isnt the problem...its getting to recovery mode...the options are controlled by the buttons (the only buttons) on my phone that do not work.

was wondering if i could bypass or take another route

DROOIID

Reaction score
i can power up from just pluggin in to my USB/wall charger...been doing that since its been wet.
powering up isnt the problem...its getting to recovery mode...the options are controlled by the buttons (the only buttons) on my phone that do not work.

Download rom manager flash cwm if you haven't already,and there is an option to boot into recovery.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I understand this. However if you power up from that state, you can't get into bootloader if you ever need to sbf your phone.

If you have issues flashing a ROM, I don't know that you will make it out, or it will make it out alive.

Sent from my A855.

Last edited:
OP
DSM4rill

DSM4rill

Reaction score
...and with that being said...i think i will leave well enough alone. Im satisfied just overclocking, changing fonts, deleting stock apps and all the little stuff i can do. Im new to it and cant afford to experiment. Thanks guys for all of the insight. Im very grateful.

DSM4rill.

OP
DSM4rill

DSM4rill

Reaction score
new problem....im stuck on a boot animation screen but cant boot up because my stock launcher is frozen...

how can i resolve this?

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
new problem....im stuck on a boot animation screen but cant boot up because my stock launcher is frozen...

how can i resolve this?

Just plug your powered-down phone into the charger while holding up on the D-pad. That should put you into the bootloader so you can SBF it.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

how can i resolve this?

Just plug your powered-down phone into the charger while holding up on the D-pad. That should put you into the bootloader so you can SBF it.

If you do that from a powered down state it will give you an error and try to boot normally. That's what I was saying from the beginning.

Supposedly you can get it into bootloader from RSDLite somehow, but I can't verify that.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score

how can i resolve this?

If you do that from a powered down state it will give you an error and try to boot normally. That's what I was saying from the beginning.

Supposedly you can get it into bootloader from RSDLite somehow, but I can't verify that.

Just verified that it takes you to the bootloader by doing so. Put my D1 in a powered-down state, held up on the D-pad and connected to the charger. Went right to the bootloader.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
how can i resolve this?
Frozen?, like with Titanium backup? Or just stuck?

If you do that from a powered down state it will give you an error and try to boot normally.

I've gotten into recovery and the bootloader that way, but only with the wall charger.

And as for the needing the volume rocker in recovery, the D-pad will work for that. Also, pressing the center of the D-pad is the same as using the camera button.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Must be when it is plugged into the PC.

Learn something new everyday!

Sent from my A855.