Recently Orphaned - Looking For New ROM

Mikejl

Reaction score
With the dismantling of Team Chaos, I was feeling a little abandoned. I've been wandering around DF the last couple of weeks wondering which ROM to switch to and for some reason when Sapphire was announced here on DF, I didn't think it was Froyo.

I checked back in here a couple of days ago and got straightened out on that point and found out about yesterdays 0.6.2 Release.

I installed Sapphire last night. The installation couldn't have went smoother. I have ran 0.6.2 for over 24hrs now and not one FC or problem of any kind. I am running at 1 GHz W/p3droid-7x1000lv Kernel and Launcher Pro.

Let me say, I love this ROM! Completely trouble free operation.

Some observations I noted in comparing to Team Chaos Redrum ROM ( please do not take these as criticisms, they are just observations)

1. Under the same conditions, Sapphire runs consistently 5 degrees F hotter (this could change with a kernels change).

2. Although Sapphire boots in record time for me, it is a bit sluggish in comparison to Redrum. However, this could also be kernel related or something else going on my droid that is not optimized.

3. Last is the lack of themes. I downloaded and installed a smoked glass theme, but I may have grabbed the wrong one. Because nothing changed. I see you have a contest going on and I imagine new themes will be coming soon.

Anyway, I'm no longer an orphan. I found a new ROM. I Look forward to hanging at the Team CVPCS forum.

Mike

306stang

Reaction score
i've been thinking the same thing . . . . .

narowed it down to bb v.04whatever and saphire

cms5423

Reaction score
Definitely Sapphire!! bugless beast is just a kang of other peoples work. Support sapphire for sure :)

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Mikej said:
3. Last is the lack of themes. I downloaded and installed a smoked glass theme, but I may have grabbed the wrong one. Because nothing changed. I see you have a contest going on and I imagine new themes will be coming soon.

Anyway, I'm no longer an orphan. I found a new ROM. I Look forward to hanging at the Team CVPCS forum.

Mike

Glad you're enjoying the ROM. The theme probably didn't install because your /system partition is too full. This was due to an overly large kernel from P3 that will be remedied tomorrow with new release (I think).

Anyway, stay tuned as I said, new release tomorrow with the latest proprietary files from the latest FRF leak.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mikej said:

Mike

Glad you're enjoying the ROM. The theme probably didn't install because your /system partition is too full. This was due to an overly large kernel from P3 that will be remedied tomorrow with new release (I think).

Anyway, stay tuned as I said, new release tomorrow with the latest proprietary files from the latest FRF leak.

Yeah 0.7.0 will be updated with the themes too, and if track record shows anything, smoked glass will be one of the first done. And pdroid is right. P3Droid while rushing forgot to remove the dubbuging symbols from the modules, thus filling your system partition to the brim (I checked mine and it only had 36kb left).

OP
Mikejl

Mikejl

Reaction score
... This was due to an overly large kernel from P3 that will be remedied tomorrow with new release (I think).

pdroid,

Good call. I'm not going to get much installed with 40K left in /system :laugh:

Mike

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
... This was due to an overly large kernel from P3 that will be remedied tomorrow with new release (I think).

pdroid,

Mike

Before sniffle alerted us to this issue, I mounted /system in root explorer to get rid of some apps last night and noticed about the same free space on mine - was like holy **** guys cutting it a little close are we? lol

bhughesiii

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. I am a former UD and BB user. I am really loving this ROM and you will too. The only issues I have had are due to my constant tinkering. Glad you found a home here with Sapphire ROM!

wingdo

Reaction score

pdroid,

Mike

Before sniffle alerted us to this issue, I mounted /system in root explorer to get rid of some apps last night and noticed about the same free space on mine - was like holy **** guys cutting it a little close are we? lol

Sniffle really should pull the link from the site. 0.6.2 runs fine with the default kernel and the P3 one certainly doesn't work for most (especially themes).

white_ash143

Reaction score
Mike I too felt orphaned by Team Chaos. I had just jumped aboard right between the two devs leaving. Having said that, this ROM runs smoother for me than even Team Chaos did. Much smoother than any other ROMs I had tried. And I must say, it feels mighty good to break away from the cookie-cutter builds currently available.

dakoop

Reaction score
maybe I will check it out when the update hits

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

52brandon

Reaction score
pdroid,

Mike

Sniffle really should pull the link from the site. 0.6.2 runs fine with the default kernel and the P3 one certainly doesn't work for most (especially themes).
works fine on mine with the drop theme...

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

But if you install the kernel before you install the theme, it won't work because the kernel accidentally fills up the system partition with debugging symbols that were supposed to be removed, but P3 forgot to. Still, the new kernel is way smoother than the stock kernel. Can't wait till tomorrow for 0.7.0 and the redid kernel.

wingdo

Reaction score

Did you theme first and then install the kernel?