Reboots while copying files to phone

decibelmute

Reaction score
[SOLVED] Reboots while copying files to phone

I've been using RubiX focused for a while now, and it's been wonderful. I was on 1.9.7 until earlier today, when I noticed that the phone would reboot shortly after starting a large file transfer from my laptop.
I have this issue when copying files in mass storage mode, and when using "adb push" for the same task. This problem does not arise when copying smaller files.
Upgrading to RubiX 2.0.1 did not fix the issue either, sadly. I do not have any apps on my sdcard (which apparently causes problems like this). I have noticed other (seemingly random) reboots and freezes (when coming out of sleep), but they are rare, and I always attributed them to overclocking/undervolting.
I have since disabled all overclocking/undervolting, but I am still unable to copy large files to my phone.
Anybody know any solutions/suggestions for this problem? I'd really like to have my music library in the palm of my hand :)
Thanks in advance!

EDIT: The phone does not fully reboot when this happens, rather it goes to the Rubix boot animation, skipping the boot logo
EDIT 2: Problem fixed! Despite what I originally thought, the problem was actually because of the way linux handles disk IO by default.

Last edited:

jonwgee

Reaction score
I would just pull the sd card and use a USB card reader for file transfers. I'm not a big fan of hooking any hardware directly to my PC...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
D

decibelmute

Reaction score
Strangely enough, this problem seems to be due to the fact that I'm running linux (arch linux, that is) on my laptop. Now, why a phone that runs linux is incompatible with linux is beyond me, but after booting into windows 7, copying files works fine.

But still, I've never had any issues with mass storage devices in linux. I get the feeling that this has something to do with the funky motorola drivers that install themselves from a fake, read-only pseudo-CD partition on the droid the first time it mounts in windows (it calls itself sr1 in linux).

... Again, this makes no sense. Is this not a standard USB Mass Storage device? There should be no need for drivers (other than the basic mass storage driver), and why is there a CD partition on the phone? As I said, ADB has been working fine (until trying to copy large files). Is this motorola trying to mess with our heads? o_O

OP
D

decibelmute

Reaction score
Problem solved.
In linux, the phone needs to be mounted with the sync option, so that data is immediately written to the sdcard instead of stored in the system's cache. Windows does this by default, but linux will mount most drives (as far as i know) asynchronously if not told otherwise.
The rebooting seems to have also been caused, in part, by apps on my sdcard.

OP
D

decibelmute

Reaction score
Go to settings / applications / manage / on SD card, and make sure nothing is there. If there is anything, move it to internal memory.
Apparently some apps install themselves there without notifying you (Angry Birds on my phone), and this can cause rebooting in mass storage mode as well.